Register now to get rid of these ads!

firewall,stering column?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48fordnut, Apr 10, 2011.

1. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Need help here. I need a bracket/whatever that will attach the steering column and firewall. I envision a flat piece and a circular sleeve. Thanks for the help jim

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On 40's with a stock column converted for modern box I made one as you suggest-small ring a little larger than column with a set screw and arms horizontal that bolt to the floor--works well and is easily hidden by carpet--have done 7 this way-the ones I see for sale are kinda bulky and rather unattractive

3. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

this is on a model a roadster with a gm column. sent pm

4. maniac

maniac

I used a small piece of angle iron under the floor, and an exhaust clamp, works perfect and cheap too.

5. ditto, except on top of the floor in the cab.

6. wizzard23

wizzard23

x2!!!!!!!

7. fleetside66

fleetside66

Speedway has them for about $25 or so. They are adjustable to any angle.

8. fleet-master

fleet-master

got a pic at all plz? :)

9. river1

river1

10. fleet-master

fleet-master

thanks for that link jim quite helpful :)

11. BTTT for any new ideas.:)

12. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

For a clean look and to avoid the big flange that's present on the aftermarket floor mounts available, find a 3-4 inch section of tubing that will just slide over your steering column and drill and tap it to accept a small pinch bolt.

Slide it over the steering column and tighten it in place where it passes through the firewall.

Slowly open up the firewall to accept the column with the section of tubing until its snug, then weld the section of tubing to the firewall. Make sure the column is in its final resting place before doing so. :)

13. Blake 27

Blake 27

I used a piece of exhaust tubing, split with clamping "ears" welded on.
    When I welded it to the firewall I left the bottom edge un-welded so when clamped it would squeeze together.
    After this pie was taken I reversed the bolt direction for better access. DSC007521 (2).JPG HPIM00941.JPG

Nailhead Jason and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  14. Blake 27

Blake 27

While looking for pictures and writing my response, I missed your post. We had the same idea, you beat me to it! LOL

15. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Clean & simple !

16. On my '38, I made a pattern from a 5" x 7" index card. Half-moon cutout the diameter of the column and measured the distance from the flange at the bottom of the firewall that the toeboard fits up to down to the top of the column. Transfer the pattern onto a piece of 1/4" steel plate, cut out, and drill bolt holes to attach the plate to the firewall flange. Get an exhaust clamp the diameter of the column and weld the bottom piece of the clamp onto the steel plate. Bolt this piece to the bottom flange of yur firewall. I used 3 3/8" bolts. Fit your column up into the plate, use the u-bolt and nuts from the exhust clamp to bolt your column up into the plate.

17. this is exactly how my Dad did the it in the 29 roadster we built. Rock solid set up.

Just Gary likes this.
  18. Dirk35

Dirk35

What you're envisioning is pretty much on point.

I cut out the abomination that the previous owner made (based on the parts used, the car was originally made into a Hot Rod in the early 80's) but their method was to cut the hole with possibly a hatchet, or maybe they used an angry beaver to gnaw a hole into their interpretation of a firewall. They just used some silicone and glued the column to the floorboard.

Anyway, I replaced the firewall and made my own steering column mount using a piece of sheet metal for the base, some flat stock that was about 1.5" wide, and a outdoor gate hinge. I used a Inner tube as a sheet of rubber for a gasket, and just cut a hole for the column that was smaller than the diameter of the column and stretched it over the column. it sandwiches between the bracket and the floorboard. I welded the caged nuts to the outside-side of the firewall so it'll have some "wiggle room" for adjustment and I wouldn't have to have a helper hold a wrench on the nuts when installing the column bracket.

The pictures explain it better than words.
    1928  Model A Steering column mount 1.jpg 1928  Model A Steering column mount 2.JPG 1928  Model A Steering column mount 3.JPG 1928  Model A Steering column mount 4.JPG 1928  Model A Steering column mount 5.JPG 1928  Model A Steering column mount 6.JPG

charleyw likes this.
  19. cfmvw

cfmvw

Check into a 1960's VW Bug; they used a rubber grommet in the front firewall that the steering column tube slipped into.