Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tri-Five Buick/Oldsmobiles 54-55-56

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Feb 24, 2010.

1. missysdad1

missysdad1

I think that is an excellent goal, but perhaps unnecessary.

The CPP Corvette-style master is big and heavy...but so is the car. A substantial master cylinder is confidence inspiring, in my opinion.

I have not yet cut the hole in the floor for easy filling, but I will as time allows. To date it has worked out just fine using a spout-bottle filler from down below. There's plenty of clearance to move the bail to the side and remove the cover.

Also, the CPP Corvette-style master cylinder is designed to be used in either disc/drum or drum/drum applications. See the CPP website for more info on this.

This installation does not require a college degree in rocket science. Only two new holes need to be drilled and no welding is required. The only difficult part is the mating of the original Buick push rod with a short extension to activate the new master properly while maintaining the original pedal height.

The CPP Corvette-style master is a slick part to use for this application and works very well with the Scarebird-specified front disc brake components. The pedal pressure required is moderate and the pedal travel is neither long nor short, making modulation of the brakes easy and precise.

And, it's only about $60 retail.

:)

2. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Walton Fab. was supposed to be making a kit for 55-56 Buick rear end swaps using the original springs has anyone heard anything about this

3. bygddy

bygddy

Old thread.....here's my 56 more door...
    Thinking of painting the roof a kinda tangerine orange and doing teh same to teh wheels? Opinions?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

don't do it. add some wheel covers and it will look tons better

5. bygddy

bygddy

I have the og olds caps on it now actuall, but i was thinking that with just a panel painted on the roof, and match the wheels, you can see the outer lip with the caps on it....hmmmm

6. bentwings

bentwings

Crager wheels will look a lot nicer on this car. Maybe a little larger tires on the rear. Keep the nose down. Skip the roof paint. This is a really cool car.

Probably the most common fault of this vintage is that the rear bumper is always out of position so I'd try and level that out too.

7. missysdad1

missysdad1

X2 on this. You've got a great car. If you follow the trendy stuff, you'll loose all the class and elegance it has now and just make it look trashy.

The stock hubcaps for this model are outstanding and understated, an excellent choice to retain. All black is the ultimate in understatement, the red wheels a very nice vintage touch.

If it were mine, I'd lose the sidepipes (for reasons stated above) and drop the car about three inches all the way around...not too much, but just enough so that it will appear to slink sinuously down the highway.

Then I'd leave it alone. It's just too nice the way it is.

:)

8. Clik

Clik

If ya gotta have a more-door make 'em suicide doors.

9. bygddy

bygddy

lose the lakes ?? Im suprised to hear that here lol...And three inches puts it touching the ground, its got 4" blocks and 2 coils cut already....Yah normaly i run the olds caps, sometimes i leave em offf just to change it up a bit...it looks all black but its actually a 2 tone now, front side of the trim, hood, upper fenders etc is black cherry, in the sun its fairly visable. Yah, maybe just some striping and www and call it done....hmmm

10. yeah, lose the lakes, paint the rims to match either the black or the black cherry, toss on some wide whites, and either do the stock caps or some spider caps and trim rings. With a car as clean and luscious as this one, you need to emphasize that not fight it.

Like MissysDad1 said "You've got a great car. If you follow the trendy stuff, you'll loose all the class and elegance it has now and just make it look trashy."

11. fish-vw

fish-vw
    from arizona

here is a before
    [​IMG]
    after
    [​IMG]

12. bentwings

bentwings

Yeah I agree, lose the lakes. Even if they are functional they sound weak on a stock motor. Turbo muffler duals would be much better.

Back in the day everyone had black rims and whitewalls. So you could paint the rims black for out at the drags and run the original flippers for cruising. This was one of the few cars I ever own that attracted the females. haha I mostly ignored them as I was more interested in racing. Can you imagin that. I figure I saved a lot of money.

The common comment is " I had one of those back....." Well I really did, a whole string of tri five Olds. All were 2 dr 88's and Super 88's.

13. I like both versions but the redo is Awesome...It look just like the box art on an old Revell Customizing kit! Great! Centurion9

14. bygddy

bygddy

Both look good, but the after shots make my pants move......jesus

15. Rqketman

Rqketman

Here's my 1956 Olds.

Attached Files:

16. U-235

U-235

[​IMG]
    Beautiful car....are the spotlites operated from under the hood or under the dash...?

17. U-235

U-235

[​IMG]
    2:eek:o AM in the morning in pouring down rain in the Siskiyous on the way back from Paso Robles, riding shotgun, I awake from my slumber sitting on my beltless Corvette seat, to find Paul flashing his headlites at (2)two porches ahead who are side by side racing...! Finally the porches get the message and (1)one drops back and pulls behind the other as we go flashing by at well over 100 mph on belted tires.....!

18. I recently bought a 55 Special 4 Door and I can't wait to really get started....Driveline is out, was parked in a field with the hood off.

19. Cranny

Cranny

Thought i'd post a couple pics of my stock 54 Buick.

Attached Files:

20. Onineo

Onineo
    from Illinois

Does anyone know the weight of a 54 Buick special hard top and how does that compare to a 55-57 chevrolet????

21. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

A pretty good site for quick easy information like that is Carnut.com

Check it out and see what I mean.......

22. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Here is my Nephew's '55 Buick Special...
    Cheers............
    [​IMG]

23. cjp69

cjp69
    from Kent, WA

Here is my 55 Century

Attached Files:

24. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Seems like BOPs lend more to customizing, but hoping more rods show up.

Bump to the top hoping someone new spots this..............

Attached Files:

25. here's a nice one I spotted recently...

[​IMG]

26. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Just a bump to the top for all those that keep joining and may not have seen this thread.

Attached Files:

27. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

love this thread

28. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Thanks again Bob! Now if I could only catch on to enlarging photos.........

29. metalix_421

metalix_421

picked up a 56 olds 88 a few months ago. build is going faster that I thought it would.