Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best way to purchase parts from HAMB members

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lan240, Apr 8, 2011.

1. lan240

lan240
    1. 37-38 Chevys

I am trying to purchase parts from a member and wanted to see what is the best way to pay for the parts. I have always used Paypal for transactions like this but the seller does not have a Paypal account and is requesting a USPS money order. I have heard horror stories about doing this where people send money orders and never see the parts. What is the best way to go about buying parts?

2. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

I have sold parts and dont have a paypal account to recieve payment so I just told buyer to send money order and I would send item when money order cleared. The only thing is the trust that seller will send item. Be sure to ask for tracking #, good luck.

3. oldolds

oldolds

USPS money order is prob. the best money order. Keep you reciept, then the PO can see if it was cashed. You don't get items.. Post Office can get involved. A little thing called mail fraud, I believe. I never had a bad USPS money order, did get a bad one from another outfit, back in the pre Paypig days of E**Y

4. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

If you're the least bit uncomfortable insist on using PayPal so that way you have some recourse.

If the seller won't do that then pass. Plenty of folks get ripped off because they're so excited to finally locate a part they need that they throw common sense right out the window.

When I sell I always ask for money orders and I never have any trouble getting buyers to send one. I always inform a buyer immediately when their payment arrives and again when their item ships to give them a tracking #.

If you're not a Johnny-come-lately and actually contribute here on the H.A.M.B. folks are more likely to trust you, especially so if your ads have good pictures and descriptions.

If in doubt, don't make the deal.

5. silent rick

silent rick

i bought and sold using both types of payment.

if you're not comfortable with the type of payment, don't buy the part. somebody else will send a money order. no biggie

6. I always just send a check or money order and they send me my parts.

More often than not I will accept either when someone buys parts from me. I have had a bounced check sent to me but I very seldom ship the parts unless the check has cleared. I stll prefer money orders myself as bounced checks cost money but whatever gets the parts to the fella is good for me.

If I was at all worried about it I would do one of two things see if someone knows your seller or blow it off intil something else came along.

7. brad chevy

brad chevy

U.S. postal money order is the only way I buy or sell parts.Its about the only thing that rthe scammers haven"t counterfitted these days. If you don"t want the guys parts and method of payment keep looking.Demanding that a seller let you pay with Pay-Pal is a good way to just be told to go to hell.

8. I buy parts from the US (I`m Canuckian) I use an International money order drawn on a US bank. I send express post so I get a tracking number and my bank has a record of whether the Money order was cashed.I have had a less than perfect deal but it was with a large auto wrecker. Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances! Pay pal really helps with International trade.

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Whos the seller? Perhaps one of us knows him and can vouch he's a stand up guy therefore easing your mind abit.

10. 1Bad67

1Bad67

I've done it both ways... mostly depends on the honesty at the other end of the line.

11. Soviet

Soviet

I use MO's with HAMBers without thinking twice.

12. I insist on USPS money orders. When you take them to the post office they can check them right away for fraud or copies. Plus you are there and can ship right away....Paypal takes a percentage of money put into the account, using other money orders can cost you when you try to cash them or it can take a few days to clear your bank.

13. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

US Postal Money orders are the best there is. I sell item and ask for a USPS money order all the time and I ship the part the day after recieving the MO, no one has ever questions my request. I recently did accept a Paypal payment since the buy was in the Marine Corp stationed in Afghanistan, that's the least I could have done to make the transaction as easy as possible for him.

14. lan240

lan240
    1. 37-38 Chevys

The member is Mudd in Oklahoma.

15. I've bought from a couple guys from here with postal money orders without a problem. I just figured I'd take a chance and it worked out.

16. lan240

lan240
    1. 37-38 Chevys

I friend of mine suggested having the parts shipped COD through the USPS. That seamed like a great way for the seller to get his money and me to get my parts but he did not want to do that.

17. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Bought alot of parts from HAMBERS with USPS money orders, no problems. one did over charge for shipping. I put a flat tire HEX on his ass to get even

18. Fenders

Fenders

No --- USPS money orders have been forged, which is why many banks will not take them. Bring it to a PO, they can check the number immediately and if good cash it for you.

And if a personal check, be sure the printed address on the check is the same as the shipping address, and is not a PO box. Then your cousins Louigie or Sal can find him.

And it's mail fraud.

I have never had a problem so don't worry too much.

19. lan240

lan240
    1. 37-38 Chevys

I have never purchased any thing from a HAMB member before. Most of my parts came from swap meets and companies so this is uncharted waters for me. i have bought a ton of stuff of E-bay through Paypal and have never had a problem. I am just trying to see what is the norm on HAMB for buying and selling parts.

20. Paypal also has a "Personal" tab. If you use that option? paypal will not charge the fee. They also can help with non-responsive sellers.

Murph

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  21. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Bad risk for the seller. I've been asked to do that a few times through UPS and I always refuse.

If the package recipient refuses the shipment the seller is stuck paying the expensive COD charge as well as shipping both ways.

22. I've bought and sold a bunch on here...never a issue...I've sent and recieved cash, M.O., Postal M.O. and personal check, it's mostly smaller stuff, never more than a couple of hundred....

23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

USPS M.O. is perfect payment. Can you say "mail fraud"? If the seller fucks ya that's a federal offense using a fed agency to do dirty deeds. I say there's too much to risk being a dickhead on this site. We're a small world. You send in a timely fashion, he does the same, both of your reps go up. I know, too easy, right? Do it or pass. I won't accept anything but a USPS M.O., won't pay with anything but the same. Mutual protection.

24. Strange things do happen and things go wrong through no-ones fault. I've had a couple buyers just flat disappear after I sent payment. Never to be heard from again. With most money orders you can go back to the issuer and report it lost if it has not been cashed. You have to judge when to take that action.

I don't always do this but it is a good idea to get the sellers home phone, one that will get answered by a family member in case the guy isn't there, is incapacitated, in the hospital, or God forbid - dead. Cell phones don't cut it.

Charlie

25. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

I agree with this, and anyone else who has mentioned a USPS M.O. All my transactions have been perfect with other HAMBers.

I do have a personal rule: I won't buy from anyone who has under XX posts and is just using the classifieds to sell stuff.

26. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Postal money order is ok,I use paypal ,But If someone buys an item from me,Ill accept either ,It helps me ship there item.Just sold an axle and spindle to bibs overall and I accepted a postal money order ,It was a real smooth transaction and we were both Happy.So far I have not been scammed by anyone on this site,Check your seller out first by posts and such

27. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

ask for HAMB references.

28. ratfink56

ratfink56

I had an issue with a seller not long ago and Ryan sorted it out.
    Basically it was make it right or be banned.

29. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There is a good bit of community here...I strongly believe you are considerably safer here than on Craig's list or Ebay. If a HAMBer selling stuff has been on here for a while with lots of posts, including discussion posts, I feel pretty damn safe. I might worry about a large purchase from "OldSkulRatrodz17" with 3 posts, all selling stuff, but not really from anyone established here (you, at 22 posts, are realdamnjunior, I note!).
    I have mailed people on here wads of cash in envelopes, PO money orders, crap money orders from 7-11, checks, and PayPal galore. Never a problem, and many sellers without instant transfer available via PayPal have simply mailed me stuff immediately without waiting for the snailmail payment from me.
    And, if you have clearcut problems, with all the ad and correspondence and a reasonable wait for delivery...don't our Moderators still investigate and impose pretty hardball penalties?
    This is a pretty good bunch of people, there are defense mechanisms in place for those who fail in obligations, and there seem to be very few problems.
    It's a hobby, and here you are dealing with a bunch of people much like yourself...just dive in and enjoy it.

30. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

if it is over a $100 i have them sign it out it cost about $5.00 to do it that way and you get a card back saying they got the money .thanks

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011