Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm Home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Road trips are magical in an old car, nothing like 'um.

3. Well that's pretty cool. I prefer solo trips myself but I really prefer to not have to deal with everyone else's problems on the road.

Glad you are back. Well rested I suppose.

4. big bad john

big bad john

Glad you had a safe trip and welcome back....sounds like the solo trip help you deal with the loss of your friend....

5. Good to hear.

Something execs driving the latest plastic fantastic will never "get".

6. jrose7004

jrose7004

I drve a 40 Ford I had to Memphis once, lots of fun!

7. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Glad it worked out for ya. Cleaned out your mind, as well as your soul.

8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Welcome back Mr. Kotter.

9. Nuthin' like a road trip to ease the mind...always remember...gettin' there ain't important! I could spend the rest of my life on the road......

10. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I've done the solo trip to B-ville many times, usually the best way to go. See what you wanna see, do what you wanna do. Sing at the top of your lungs listenin' to your own music. Glad you got a chance to clear the cobwebs from your grey room.

11. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I like how all the pics are black & white. Gives it that vintage look. Great collection of cars, cant wait to see the rest. I've taken my share of soul searching rides in my 40+ years of driving. I'm glad to say I've done it with 2 and 4 wheel rides.

12. oaktree

oaktree

You did good. Glad you got back home safely.

13. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Good on ya for making that trip in the Sedan. I'm sure your friend Don would have liked to see you pull up in it.

I know it was a bit out of the way this time, but the next time you drive north, stop on by my place in Dallas and I'll buy you lunch. Speaking of lunch...I stop at that cafe every time I go through Marble Falls. I love that place.

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Sounds like it was much needed..
    I cant wait to get my A up and running, and get some of that myself.

Good to hear it went well, and yer back safe

15. Jimm56

Jimm56

Sad reason to take a trip, but it sounds like the quality road time did you some good. Some people might do meditation, but car guys do the road. The trip can be more important than the destination.
    Glad your trip was safe. Now, show us the cars.

16. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Thanks for the rida along by writing it up,Fun to go and fun to come home,I like going both alone and with just a few bud's.

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I enjoy the road trips with my buddy to share the experience and to critique what we see along the way but there is something about a solo trip when you don't have to negotiate food stops and potty breaks. That's pure freedom.

Now don't you feel guilty for entertaining any fear of your old Ford breaking down? Trips like this build up the confidence in the old girl that makes it a special ride.

PS I love the 49 or 50 Olds coupe.

18. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

If we can do trips for "these" reasons, we all should drive more often for the sake
    of just driving...I guess that without grief it would be more enjoyable.
    Very nice pictures!

19. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

My condolences for the reason behind the trip, but holy shit that warehouse is full of perfection.

20. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Good to see it went well.. I trust the flatty (and the rest of the car) worked as needed?

21. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

22. A solo ride in an old car - Best therapy ever...

Good on you for allowing yourself a "time-out" to honor your friend.

23. Neil411

Neil411

Ryan, there is no need to apologize.

The fact that you are the kind of guy who would drive his old flattie Ford a thousand miles to a good friend's funeral is a big part of the reason the Jalopy Journal/H.A.M.B. is the way it is, and a big part of the reason I read it every day.

It's passion like that that make it all so cool.

24. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

You were gone?
    And all this time we were all good and didn't fight or off-topicalize at all!
    Cool deal on the road trip! You have to feed your head once in a while?
    Welcome home.

Now,we can get back to bi'ness!
    Haa haa

25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did a Philly to Detroit in a 47 Cadillac Conv once, all solo. Spent the night at my old pal Art Brummer's house in Milton,PA before the last part of the run. No radio, no tapes just me in my Fedora and raincoat imagining what it may have been like in the late 40s. Somewhere along I-80 a tandem semi passed me at about 75MPH. I was rolling anywhere from 60-65, and as he went by the hood raised up about 1/2 way and slammed back down. That got my attention in the worst possible way. I pulled over to try and figure out what was up and the latch rivets in the mascot had fallen out. Don't know how or why. A 47 Caddy hood is pretty damn heavy so I limped it to a truck stop and wired the hood down with a borrowed coat hanger. The wipers were also a tad slow so I took the passenger side off (split windshield) and that offered a better speed with less drag. The next 2-3hrs were without incident and I'd been enjoying the looks and thumbs up I was getting driving a restored old Caddy in mid February. Somewhere just west of Cleveland it started to snow a bit...then a bit more...then even more yet. By the time I got just past Cleveland the snow was over one foot deep in the turnpike and wa falling just short of whiteout conditions. I could see a trailer ahead which gave me some direction and the grooves in the road were deep enough that just for fun I thought I'd see how far she would steer herself. I made it just about 1/2 mile before fear and common sense set in, although my hands were never far from the wheel. Snow was building between the convertible top and the sweep of the wiper and just as I thought "I hope it doesn't..." it did! The wiper crawled over the building snow and flipped off into the highway. As luck would have it "REST AREA 1 MILE" appeared and i was relieved. I pulled off, topped up with fuel and put the passenger side wiper on the driver's side (I stashed on the rear floor earlier). The attendant allowed me the use of some wax for the glass and painted area of the W/S frame to avoid build up again. As i was getting in another motorist exclaimed how he couldn't believe I would use such a car in such conditions. "Well sir, this is my daily ride." I said as I tipped my hat to him. He was dumbfounded as I drove away in what turned out to be a 24" snowfall in the region. Once in MI I had all of I-75 to myself, and didn't see a single car for almost 10min.

I envy you Ryan. That little excursion of mine was in '88. Just sharing my story here and reading yours makes me want to do it again in an old car. I do it often trailering the damn things, but the memories from behind the wheel, especially solo, are priceless and forever.

26. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I'm with ya Ryan, My trip was great!

27. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome Ryan....road trips are the best part of this hobby. Glad you made time to do it.

28. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Glad you had a safe trip and some quiet ALONE time....you certainly deserved it!

29. Ryan.....a solo road trip cleanses the soul, rests the psyche and charges the batteries at the same time, not to mention is just plain fun!
    Remember when I took in half the US in my 41 Poncho? Great memories.

Attached Files:

30. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

After just completing a 3k mile roadtrip in my 53, I agree totally. Honestly when I was driving home I probably didnt even listen to music for more than 30 minutes. Just the drive. Glad yours went well also.