Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lost Drive-In Restaurants

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SUNROOFCORD, Apr 5, 2011.

1. fred pooler

fred pooler

Out in Seligman Arizona there is a real cool drive in that goes by the name of the Snow Cap. Juan Delgadillo was the owner at the time and he made us all feel as though we were in some kind of circus side show with the antics he pulled. We stayed an extra hour just to watch him tease his customers. His show stopper was " Do you want mustard on your hot dog?" And when you said yes he'd point the mustard bottle at you and squeeze. Out came a long yellow string that looked like mustard and everyone in line would jump back about 5 feet. Great fun. A true Route 66 Drive In.

mrspeedyt and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

Does anybody remember Frank's Drive-In it was about 3 blocks east of Porky's on East Lake St? It seemed like a slightly different crowd at Frank's than at Porky's.

3. I was born in Portsmouth,Ohio and when I was a kid we would often go to the Shake Shoppe!! I remember they had "mashed potato" french fries!! We moved to Texas when I was in 1st grade, and now when i go back (im 36), I still see the old building, but the original is long gone...I still remember the sign tho!! My favorite spot was the 2nd st. "Footer" stand...it's still there and when i visit, i eat there almost everyday!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Poltax

Poltax
    from UT

Here in UT we have a couple that are still around. Hires has 3 locations in the SLC area. The downtown and Sandy locations still have car hops. The owner actually passed away a few months ago. He was in his late 80's if I remember correctly. He worked every day until the last couple of years. His son now owns and runs Hires.

Back in the 60's my Dad owned the Frostop in Boise ID on State St. It was the big hang out back then. He had carhops and root beer served in frosted mugs. Anyone that could chug 1 qt of root beer and did not throw it back up, got it for free. What most people did not realize is that he had plenty of carbonation in the root beer. One day one of my dads friends came in and ordered a double cheeseburger. As a joke my dad put everything on it except the meat. The guy ate the burger and never said a word or mentioned there was not meat on it. My dad laughed over that for many years.

I wish I had pics of the old place.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  5. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Tom Tom Drive-In

6244 Cedar Avenue, Richfield, Minnesota; courtesy of Roosevelt High School Class of 1963.

Note the sign for "Pizza Pie". It would be fun to be able to read the menu prices on the structure at the right, wouldn't it? I believe Qwest Communications is located on or near this property today.

"I worked at the Tom Tom Drive-In at the corner of Hiawatha and Minnehaha Avenues South at 53rd Street. They had car hops. It was owned by Herb DeRoma, and in 1960 he started the first broasted chicken eat-in and home delivery just off 66th and Lyndale Avenue South. I moved with him to this establishment called the Chicken Farm, located next to Peck Brothers Sporting Goods. I worked for DeRoma in 1959 and 1960." ~ F. David Shrewsbury, RHS, '61 ~

Picture is said to be 1956.

Attached Files:

6. Kramer

Kramer

I remember that place, the DQ anyway, not the gas station. I lived near Vancouver in the late 70's. Cruising was so big then that it would take you half the night to make the circuit. Got so bad they blocked off the entrance to the DQ on Friday and Saturday nights to try and curb it. Guess it worked.

7. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

Sadly the old Vancouver Burgerville will be gone in October. They've sold the property to a developer planning a "mixed use structure". Burgerville has stated the old restaurant doesn't fit in with their more modern locations...

8. NOTE: You may have to Log in to see the photos below.
    I uploaded to my album here and then used the BB code to paste, but it must not be exactly right as some photos that I post are only seen after logging in.

The Little Red Caboose, in Winston Salem NC. Photos taken 04/06/11

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=25366

Here is another Drive-In called Kermit's Hotdog House and is also located in Winston Salem NC.
    About one block west of the restored shell shaped yellow Gas Station the was built by Shell Oil in the 1930's and operated by Quality Oil of Winston Salem NC, now it is a Historic site that also provides a cool photo background for Classic Autos.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kermits-Hot-Dog-House/87802570677

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

How about Peter's in Kansas City, Kansas?

Attached Files:

10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Hey there in Afghanistan, Matt! :D Dude, I imagine most evenings over where you are, it would be GREAT to have a place like the ol' Shake Shoppe in Logan, Ohio, to drop by. Family-owned but way cool. :cool: Food, fountain drinks, sundaes, splits, great company, gals to scope, the occasional loud pipes and the peel-out. :eek: It was one super spot. Now we mostly -- you, too? -- make out with chain fast-food places. Not the same feel, at all. :rolleyes:

Anyway, man, I hope you and your buddies -- guys and gals in the services -- know that the patriots back home salute you for doing your uncomfortable, dangerous jobs! :eek: God bless you AND the USA! :)

11. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

I have memories of the Roadside from my childhood.
    I was born in '61, and with my Sister being 14 years older, I remember tagging along with her and her boyfriend at the time to the Roadside when she was left in charge of me.
    I'm sure I was a real buzz kill. :D

Sitting in the back seat of a blue '61 Implala eating fries.

When was it torn down? The late 70's?

12. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

Braidwood Illinois has the Dot which is on a piece of the old HWY 66. Very good food and I guess they have a yearly event for cars to show. Here in the Milwaukee area, a few drive ins exist, most notably Leon's. Still sporting the huge neon signage and stainless steel sides. As someone mentioned before, Gus' in East Troy which still brings in many cars. There used to be Karen's on the north side of Milwaukee where I got my first DJ gig doing a cruise night but that got torn down to make way for a Walgreen's. Georgie Porgies in South Milwaukee has been around since the 70s but has an amazing Saturday cruise night and tasty yummies. As far as chain cruise nights go , the Solid Gold Mc Donald's is being torn down and replaced with the more upscale modern look McDs is going for. Solid Gold had great memorabilia for Rock and Roll and cars.

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]
    Hey, guys & gals! If you're diggin' this thread as much as I am, go to the top of
    the page and VOTE for a FIVE-STAR rating so we can get more folks involved! :D

In my hometown, you weren't CERTIFIED tough and cool;), unless the man-
    ager came out and yelled at you for revving your engine, barkin' the tires or
    peeling out when you left the place -- preferably, laying a patch, of course! :eek:
    But, hey! All we were trying to do was create a little excitement on a boring night
    in a small town, ya know? :cool: (Anybody seen The Last Picture Show" or "Ameri-
    can Graffiti"? As the song says, good ol' just boys just makin' noise!)

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    [​IMG]

Fantastic photo from 1945, posted on flickr by "Army.Arch," shows carhop
    Betty Whittington serving customers at Price's Drive-In, Houston, Texas.
    Photo was apparently taken by a U.S. Army Signal Corps member and is
    in the U.S. National Archives and, thus, in the public domain. That all
    said, THANK YOU ArmryArch and flickr! Started in 1934, Prince's even
    made the cover of LIFE magazine! By '41, carhops were dressed in showy
    majorette uniforms, and Jeanette Hall was named "Miss American Carhop,"
    landing herself a magazine cover. Yow. For a good read, go to Prince's
    website and browse! www.princeshamburgers.com/ The customer and
    employee MEMORIES are great! Once, at least, the drive-in was truly
    part of the culture and people's lives! Damn! I love the HAMB!

[​IMG]

South Main Street

[​IMG]

Prince's on Westheimer

[​IMG]

"Majorettes"

[​IMG]

Family affair. Two sisters employed at Prince's

15. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

If anybody's wondering when and where the roots of the drive-in
    restaurant were planted, here are some clues at least! After a tad
    of digging, I found out what LIFE issue carhop Jeanette Hall was
    featured on: Feb. 26, 1940. Yeah, THAT early! :eek: And way before the
    roller-skates became the drive-in stereotype, Prince's in Houston
    dressed their carhops in majorette outfits. Life obviously spotted
    a trend, or at least the latest fad! LOL. Jeanette would be close to
    80 today. Let's hope she's well, a grandma AND in the pink of health! :)

[​IMG]

This and many other LIFE issues are available on eBay, folks! Old mags are a great
    way to jump into that time machine HAMBers are always wishing for!

chryslerfan55 and 550Coupe like this.
  16. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

HOW early? you ask?

[​IMG]

Opened in 1925, GoodyGoody in Tampa Bay, FLA, was one of America's first true drive-in
    restaurants, meaning you were served in your car. Not a roller skate nor a majorette in sight :eek:
    -- as a matter of fact, the 'hops were young guys, not gals! This VINTAGE pic is from a keen
    article by Michael Murillo for Tampa's Cigar City magazine. THANKS, Michael! Well worth
    a read at:

The Drive-In Era in Tampa: Food, Fun and a Little Flirting | ... www.cigarcitymagazine.com/places/item/the-drive-in-er...

17. Bob's Broiler,in Downey,Calif.
    [​IMG]

The Ghost Cruise,before it re-opened...
    [​IMG]

The first Cruise Night...
    [​IMG]

First time EVER,at a Car Hop with my Merc!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  18. The Derby Restaurant, built in the 1940's and located in Mount Airy NC AKA Mayberry.

[​IMG]

The Speedy Chef, also located in Mount Airy NC.

Note: Mount Airy had until last year one of the last working Drive-In Theaters " The Bright-Leaf" in the whole state... It now is closed and for sale.

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and RileyRacing like this.
  19. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

My late father used to talk about Poop Deck Pappys. I believe it was located on the V on the west side of Lake Calhoun where Lake Street splits into Excelsior and Minnetonka Boulevards
    in Minneapolis

This was in the late '40s as he would also talk about his friends (Dick Bakken?) brand new and customized Studebaker Starlight Coupe. I'm thinking the Stude was a '48.

Funny Story; One night the food was so bad that Dad swore he was going to kill the cook. The cook is my mother. They didn't know each other when he said that. They were married for 55 years and my mom was a very good cook.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
    chryslerfan55 and RileyRacing like this.
  20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I'll tell ya, the TRUE yarns you hear on the HAMB! Nobody can make stories like this up. I'll bet your dad and mom laughed about this for years, sort of their inside story.

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Now a victim of "progress," Burge's Drive-In, Modesto, California,
    is said to have been ONE of the drive-ins that inspired "Mel's" in
    the Lucas film, "American Graffiti." :D Anybody in the area have
    historical facts OR MEMORIES of Burge's? :confused:

[BTW, this pic appears numerous places on the internet, so I'm guessing
    a pro photog for a news organization did it. Doesn't look like your average
    Brownie KODAK snapshot.]

22. Arominus

Arominus

23. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

They closed the A&W in Reno, NV. back in the 1990's. It was billed as the largest A&W in the world. They built a new one up the block from the first one and as far as I know it is still there.
    I do have some pictures of cruise nights but not of the signs or buildings, however I also have video tapes of every thing.
    I'll have to dig around other cd's to see if I have other pictures that I can post.
    P.S. The picture of the '53 Chevy was not taken at the A&W but it was taken in Reno.

Attached Files:

24. I wonder how many HAMBer's ever spent time at the Pioneer Drive-In (P3) in Wichita Falls, Texas? There have been a few of us stationed at Sheppard AFB there and P3 was the place to cruise. I was there from '64-'67 and bought most of my cars from Dusty Rhoads at Faith City Motors. I doubt the chain is still there, but between P3 and Leons in Milwaukee, we're talking a lot of good time spent. Centurion9

25. BUSY BEE DRIVE IN
    Thanks for the pics guys!
    I don't have a pic to post but the first drive in I remember as a kid was the BUSY BEE located in Guthrie, Ok. at corner of Division (Highway 77) and Noble (Highway 33). A small frame building with one of those "Coke" signs on the sides. You could go inside or have curb service with one of those metal trays hung off you car window. Burgers at 5 cents! Some one had to explain to me what a "greasy spoon" was!
    It's long gone now.
    I've been looking for a picture of the BUSY BEE for over thirty years but never found one yet.
    Any one remember this place????

26. Been trying for years to find pics or Adventure Car Hop in Saugus MA and there dosen't seem to be many.

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Sounds like another SEARCH on guys and gals! Whos' got pix or personal memories to share???

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

This EXCELLENT late-'50s shot is from Dog427's great stash and was
    posted on his "Vintage shots from days gone by" thread. Huge
    THANKS, Glenn! :D They don't make CLASSIC drive-in stands like this
    any more! :cool:

29. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

30. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

If you contact the town Saugus in Mass they usually have historical photos documented in their files of many prominant landmarks throughout the years. They might be able to help you with additional photos. There was also an additional Adventure Car Hop in Nattick, Mass which was renamed to Galaxy Car Hop. I think one of them was also re-named to Lasso's