Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2011 Roundup Roadtrip!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe T Creep, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Well the Roundup was coming and I was set to go. At first I was going to bring Joyos roadster out to him but turns out I didnt have a vehicle to tow with. So I planned to drive my 53 Mercury out. Found out Ian was going to drive his Chevy so we planned to run together.
    Spent a week doing the little this n thats on the car and got it all set for the trip. After the great time I had at the Roundup last year, I couldnt wait to drive out there.

Took off about 6 a.m. monday morning to meet up at Ians. He noticed that my gas cap was missing. I took it off to paint it and forgot to put it back on. Wonderful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Our first stop of many to fuel up. Hopped on the 134 East to the 210 to the 15 North.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://youtu.be/2BMxM3Ah0Rc

We cruised along with no issues until about Ontario. We stopped and had to check out Ians stereo. No tunes. Luckily we found a bad main fuse. Found a radio shack in Victorville and a Kragan and we picked up a fuse and a gas cap. Problems solved.
    [​IMG]
    We rolled along the 15 to the 40. Our goal monday was Rio Rancho New Mexico,Just north of Alberquerque. My uncle lives there.
    [​IMG]

Rolled right on into Arizona. We started looking for an exit to get gas and we saw a sign for fuel at exit 133 (Remember this exit). We got off and found ourselves at the entrance to the petrified forest park, but no fuel. By this time it was just about dusk and Ian happened to mention that his headlights might not work. So he hopped under the dash and I pulled out my electrical repair bag and we got his lights working. Back on the road. We made it to my Uncles about 12:45 a.m. after a 40 minute diversion because my nav on my phone sent us waaaay out of the way. After almost throwing it out of the window we parked, went inside, had some drinks and slept.The drive had been going so well we could hardly wait to get back on the road. We had made such good time and we could have made it to Austin tuesday. We didnt even have a room until weds night so we figured we'd break up the last leg into two days of easy driving.
    [​IMG]

Woke up about 9 a.m. tuesday and had a bite and went to visit my 93 year old grandma. She lived about 5 minutes away and she had no idea I was going to drop by. It was a blast to suprise her. She came out and thought the cars were great.
    [​IMG]

We hopped back on the 40 east. Rolled along until Ian saw a junkyard that we just had to stop at. We parked and walked up and found out it was not actually a junkyard, but a "museum". A museum of old cars and parts just sitting out in a huge yard. Good stuff too. He has firm about not selling anything, except maybe a hubcap here and there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

I was walking around and I saw this truck cab and when I looked inside I was excited to see the remnants of an old customer interior job. Pretty cool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We left that place with visions of all the great things that could be had with the spoils of that yard. We both hoped it just didnt rot away were it sits.

We drove along and got off the 40 onto some small two lane roads leading into Texas.
    We drove through Fort Sumner. Theres a cool Nilly the Kid museum there and I figured we'd stop by and check it out. Thats where my luck ran out. Some of it at least. Got a speeding ticket for 4 miles over the limit. The small town Sheriff informed me that my friend was moving pretty fast also and he would have pulled hime over, but he saw me first. The funniest part about it was when he asked me if I wanted to set a court date in 30 days or if I just wanted to pay the fine. I said I'd pay the fine and he told me that I had to mail in the payment within 30 days. I looked on the ticket and I didnt see a mailing address. When I asked him where I could find the address to send payment, he handed me a self adressed stamped envelope. I had to keep myself from laughing out loud. What a racket. Well, that'll teach me .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thought this one was very appropriate.
    [​IMG]

We made it to Lubbock Texas and found a motel. Lets just say that this pic about sums it up.
    [​IMG]

We left about 9 and took off for Austin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got into town and were so jazzed to have made it. We pulled onto South Congress and crossed the bridge and pulled into the hotel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We went upstairs, changed and went over to Austin Speed Shop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. cicciobilly

cicciobilly
    from italy

4. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

The guys were busy working on a customers car that had to be ready the next day. It was nice to be able to be at the shop before all the weekends craziness had started. We wandered around and checked out all their current projects and admired the work. Really talented people working there.
    [​IMG]

We left and me , Ian and Alex Gambino took off to the Continental Club. We had a few drinks and talked with all the people that had gathered at the club. I was lucky enough to grab a spot directly in front of the club. Chris Casny was making the rounds with his camera and got a great shot of it. Thanks chris!
    [​IMG]

We made our way back to the hotel late and crashed. Woke up about 11 and Ian went downstairs to grab some food. He ate and I took off to run some errands and I got some food also. I then went back to A.S.S. to meet up with Lucky. We hung out there for a bit then went to check into our motel room. Turns out Ian got a case of mild food poisoning from his lunch and he was holed up in the room all afternoon. After we checked in I think we made our way back to the shop and then back to Congress. Watched Southern Culture and had some more drinks. Gotta love the fact that Bobbleeds dad was the one with the cute girls in his car. Awesome.
    [​IMG]

We got up friday and made our way to the fairgrounds to set up the Old Crow Speedshop/Mad Fabricators booth.
    [​IMG]

Picked up some cool things at the swap meet and saw some great cars. Ryan was stamping away at Alliance tags and its always nice to talk with him.
    After the day at the show went to dinner with Lucky,Sandy, Keith,Melissa and Elisa. After eating and being at the show all day we were exhausted. We went to Trophys to see Jade Idol play, but they didnt go on until late so we took off to get a little sleep.

The show was fun saturday.Saw a lot of friends and really had a good day. Best part of the day was text stalking Evel for about five hours from an unknown number. Goddamn it still makes me laugh. We went for a stroll around the show to check out all the vehicles.
    [​IMG]

People would see him coming and hide under their cars to avoid talking to him, but he'd bother them anyway.
    [​IMG]

I set him straight though......well....maybe not straight.
    [​IMG]

As I left the show after dissassembling the booth I had to take a picture of this car that I gave my "Most likely to blow itself apart if you mash the throttle" award. Either that or send you straight to the moon. Goddamn that must be a rush!
    [​IMG]

Sunday was a lazy day of cruising around, eating, drinking, eating and napping. Great day.

Monday I dropped the girl off at the airport and I was going to take off back to Rio Rancho. Ian and Carrie were going to take a different route back so I was just going to frive back solo.
    On the way to the airport it started to sprinkle.
    [​IMG]

As soon and I got back on the freeway it started coming down. Yay Rain-X!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

After about 30 minutes it stopped and the sky was perfect. I cruised along the backroads for hours.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After a not so fun experience in Lubbock that I wont get into,I found this neat old station so I took a couple pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally made it back up to the 40 and towards Rio Rancho.
    [​IMG]

Got there about 9 and I had some good food and went to sleep. Got up in the morning and visited my grandma again for a bit. Then I jumped back on the 40 west headed for home.
    I cruised right along for a couple hours until I was in Arizona. Going up a slight incline I felt my car hesitate once or twice but then it went away. I filled up with gas and after driving up another slight incline the car started cutting out intermittently. Felt like a fuel pump loosing volume. I called ahead 60 miles to an O'Reillys auto parts in Holbrook AZ. They said they had a pump for my 302 and after about 40 miles it was cutting out so bad I figured it was a better plan to pull off the freeway instead of breaking down on it. As luck would have it, it was exit 133. The same exit we stopped at to repair Ians headlights. I called AAA and about 45 minutes later the flatbed dropped me off in the O'Reillys parking lot and the counter guy had the pump already pulled for me. 10 minutes later the new pump was on and I was set to go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just as I finished up the pump a tumbleweed came up to see what was going on.
    [​IMG]

Ian was coming up behind me and we met up again. Tore off down the highway.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So Ian decided to stay the night in Seligman and I was going to get home.
    Somewhere between Goffs and Barstow my license plate decided to jump ship. At least most of the hardware stayed.
    [​IMG]

Finally about 2:30 a.m. I got home and went right to sleep.
    [​IMG]

It was an amazing trip. I want to thank Ian for being a great driving partner. I want to thank Joyo,Rocco,Bobbleed,Mark Ford, Magic, Jason and all the other guys at Austin Speedshop for once again being so friendly and hospitable. I love the cars but with guys like you it really makes it great. Austin is a great town and I want to make it out there again before the next Roundup just to enjoy it with no schedule at all. Thanks to all you guys.
    It was a great trip.

6. Retroline

Retroline

great pics and story, looked like a great roadtrip, shame about the fuel pump giving up..

7. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Awesome pics and story. I kept seeing the car you were runnin with at the Hotel but never saw yours! Are you sure you were there:D

8. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

fun read and good pics..........glad you got to make the trip

9. jerry

jerry

That's the second plate that got lost on the trip to LSRU,

[​IMG]

Apparently ripped off by the wind.

jerry

10. paintcan54

paintcan54

Thanks for the ride and pics. I'm going to put the LSR, on my list of things to do.

11. scarylarry

scarylarry

Evel was so excited to have a stalker, he must be crushed now!

12. Feels like I came along for the ride!
    Awesome!

13. great write up and photos! your car is awesome as well

14. Brewton

Brewton

Thanks for sharing the trip with us!

15. Our trip to LSRU from New Braunfels seems insignificant! Thanks for the story and y'all come back, hear.

16. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Great read......saw both cars at the show and loved 'em both.....

17. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Awesome, it was great hanging out, in Austin.
    I have more pics of your car, btw.

18. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Nice story thanks !

19. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Great story and picts! Love this shit!

20. black240

black240
    from Houston

Freeaking nice write up about your experience. I wanted to go so bad but couldnt well there is next year and making the plans already!!

21. NoelNYC

NoelNYC

It was great meeting you briefly at the Austin Speed Shop through Joyo, glad the trip went well... great story and pics.

Noel / Rumblers cc / Albq.

22. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Great stuff man. It was nice to hang out for a bit. See you on the salt!!!

23. Love seeing the roadtrip pix - thanks for sharing. So cool to have those cars here, and glad you had a good time!

24. Your trip sounded like mine and Jerry's. glad to meet you in mad fab/barris when talking with evil.

25. Thanks for sharing with us your journey in a custom. I hope to embark on this journey one day myself and it is definitely some great inspiration. Keep it up!

26. belair

belair

Sorry you got yanked around by the man in Texas. Loved the picture of you and your Grandma. Saw the cars at the RU. Good stuff.

27. Moondog13

Moondog13

Awesome! Thanks for sharing a great story! :D

28. RDR

RDR

great story and pics!! Thanks Joe....Those LONG Texas roads must eat up lots of parts and pieces, got your license and got my right rear hubcap...heard it go between milepost 298 and 297 on Westbound I-10...stopped and walked back ...found about 8-10 truck and RV hubcaps but NOT mine..:(..If anyone is in the area, take a look for the Watson designed '56 Olds Fiesta...It'll make a cool garage hanger!!:D
    Got home to some cooler weather up here in Oregon
    PS...Great looking Merc...saw it up by the swap meet and at the hotel along with Ians' Chevy...good on ya!

Attached Files:

29. RalphyBoy161

RalphyBoy161

Thanks for the story and the pix

30. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Thanks for the great story & pics. I need to make it down there next year!