Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 302 in a Nova Subframe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dante81_98, Apr 7, 2011.

1. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

Anyone have any experience putting a 302 into a Nova subframe? Or any ford powerplant for that matter.

2. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

What year Nova? In my sick twisted mind I kinda like where you are going.

3. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

50 Ford shoebox with a 74 nova front clip.

The car has a nice running and driving 350 in it, but I was thinking about using that in the 50 chevy truck and picking up a 302 to throw in the ford. That way ford in a ford, chevy in a chevy.

4. Deuces

Deuces

Not sure about motor mounts but you might be able to use a '87-'93 5.0L Mustang oil pan on the motor..

5. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

You can get some universal type weld in Ford mounts that should work well/cheap/easy from Summit, etc.

6. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

why not piss off both camps... ford in a bowtie and a bowtie in a ford?

:p

7. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

What year Nova. If it a front steer clip all you need is the universal side mounts and a rear sump pan. The cross member cross member style mount will give you issues.

If a rear steer clip the D S would have to be home made because the steering box will be in the way.

8. ...I did this swap,(289 in a Nova clip in a 46 Ford p.u.) you'll need a rear sump pan or notch the front croosmember down a couple inches for pan clearance. I notched the x-member as that was easier and less work than the pan swap.

9. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i'd say, the pan/sump swap would be a little easier than slice n dice on a crossmember???

whats involved in swappin' a pan and sump?

10. choke

choke

We use to use a rear sump Bronco oil pan and p/u. Just fabricate motor mount stands.

11. Wardog

Wardog

I'm australian. But my 46 Ford has a gm chassis (HQ Holden) and a cleveland engine. I had to use a bronco reverse sump and set the engine back 2". I have a windsor as well and from a quick look it should be the same deal for it too.

12. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

My wife's brother in law did just that. He bought a 52 Ford convert with a Camaro/Nova clip.
    He bought a 89 Thunderbird donor car, used the Thunderbird 302, aod, wire harness and engine stands/mounts.
    He simply cut out the chebby mounts, patched the frame, dressed and installed the bird componets.

Not difficult, just takes time.
    Attached pic shows what he started with.(car is now drivable and in primer)
    The blue 54 was a similar project, but he kept it 272 and 3 speed with an o/d

Attached Files:

13. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

It is a rear steer clip. I am not opposed to making some mounts for it all. So long as I know it can be done without a ton of craziness.

So basically, I should be prepared to make some mounts, which I figured would have to happen anyway, use a rear sump pan, and get ready for some creative fitment around the steering box.

Would converting it to a rack alleviate some of the fitment issues you think? I could use this as an opportunity to do that as well.

Thanks for all the help.

14. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

nah, offset mounts on the driver side isnt all that uncommon when clearing a steering gear... i wouldnt sweat the offset that much, stick with the gearbox, r&p is gonna be a can of worms, specially since its a rear steer... cavalier racks will work with a lot of fun and cussing if you really want to tackle it

15. Wardog

Wardog

I debated converting to rack and pinnion for extra clearance.But found buy setting the engine back I did'nt have to and I did'nt even have to modify the steering or crossmember at all apart from the engine mounts.

16. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

I used a 5.0 motor in my truck and made my own mounts to raise the engine in the subframe so the fan was square and used 67 mustang motor mounts. I just used square tubing and v'd it and welded in a pice of round pipe to slide between the motor mount flanges..

17. Yea but you would have to buy the pan and probably have scrap iron laying around. Easier meanig easier on the pocket book in this instance.

Of course that is just conjecture on my part.

18. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

Thanks for the help. I am going to start the search for a good powerplant for the ford now. Then I won't be ashamed when someone asks me whats under the hood. lol

19. you nailed it!.....I was doing the conversion for a customer and he didn't wanna spend the money & time to do a pan swap, so he asked how can we do this; so I notched the xmember.

20. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

FWIW, there were three types of rear sump Ford pans in the late 70s-80s.
    The Fairmont/Zephyr cars up to '79 used the 28oz 302 which had the dual rear sump pan with the dipstick screwing into the side of the pan on the D side.
    When the 28oz 302 was replaced with the lighter 50oz 5.0 the dipstick location was still on the D side, but entered the oil pan through the block pan rail. In the area where the old dipstick tube used to go, a low oil sensor was installed.
    And then there is the 351W "Bronco" pan. This will fit the 351, the 302/5.0 pan will not clear the 351W.
    Be careful not to use the later 5.0L pan with the 302 or you will not have a place to put the dipstick. The timing cover option will not be able to help you as it would end up in the front sump area which is only there to clear the oil pump, and not a useful area to measure oil level.