Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got to take the hot rod out today for the first real time! w/video

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DMFB, Apr 6, 2011.

1. DMFB

DMFB

So, after damn near 2 years I finally got the truck to where it was driving without doing something dumb. So with that I drove it to work today, and was in the greatest mood all day! After a million times getting a little discouraged, today proved to me, every heartache, every busted knuckle, every hard earned red cent was well worth it. I guess there is nothing like it. My wife took a video of me playing a little before putting her away for the night. Can't wait to go cruising tomorrow on my day off! copy and paste the link to check it out. Thanks guys, especially to all of you that gave advise, constructive critisisem, and especially to those that helped! Jon Kitchens, Jimmy Montgomery, Terry Montgomery, Conner Montgomery, Crazy Eyed Kevin, Scotty M, Elliot, Stephen Redmon, Ed Datwyler, Doug Shade, and my Dad!

http://youtu.be/gI4PboMchOc

-DMFB

2. DMFB

DMFB

The link works now, don't know what the hell was going on with it there for a few minutes.

3. Your kids are as excited as you sound. The future of hot rodding is safe and well.
    Great stuff!

4. DMFB

DMFB

Thanks kiwi. The kids love it and they all love hot rods, so I think they will do their part in keeping the torch lit. I loved having them help me work on it, even my 3 year old daughter who believes she is a princess (which she is) covered in dirt and grease. They are still not as excited as I am though ;)

5. Harris

Harris

Congrats man, your daughter's excitement just made that video! Quick question, what cam you running in that Caddy? Any more info about the motor?

6. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Congrats Man! Thats what makes it all worth it!

7. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Your motor sounds GREAT...love hearing your wife giggle and seeing your kids jumping up and down and stuff...reminded me of my kids when they were little....

8. DMFB

DMFB

The motor is a 74 500 ci caddy, Comp Cams mutha thumpr cam, 40 off of the heads, MTS Valve Train, Beehive Springs, Custom pushrods, Molly Rings, Clevite Bearings, 650 cfm (too small) BG Demon carb, Power Master mini Starter (kept snapping starters in half...yes they were strapped), and the lake headers were speedways BBC kit I cut 500 flanges for. The motor is backed by the original TH400 with an SFI flywheel, TCI 3000 stall converter, and B&M shift kit....which isn't near as snappy as I'd like it to be.
    Thanks for the compliments fellas. I love the sound of the motor too, gonna be hard to stay out of trouble, lol.

9. DMFB

DMFB

Thanks Druss32 for embedding the video on here. I really appreciate that man!

10. jaco

jaco

Great job. Lots of hard work and long nights and months in the build. I thank you for your post as I am close to taking my first cruise but was getting discouraged. But after seeing your post I am now fired up to GET HER DONE. GREAT JOB and thanks for the lift.

11. DMFB

DMFB

Thank you Jaco, and yeah, there were a few post on here that kept the match lit under my ass too. Just hang in there man, I'll be looking for your post soon brother!

12. captmullette

captmullette

i know how you feel, your kids were great, you're a lucky man, i drove mine down the road yesterday a little way for the first time, and just had to stomp it, but my road is dirt so soon some asphalt......

Attached Files:

13. excellent!! sounds very nice

14. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

x2.... As I watched this my mind wandered and I was thinking of my kids when they were younger. They would love to hear the car start and go for a ride. Your truck sounds great

15. rebstew187

rebstew187

16. Hahaha... you won't be able to wipe the smile off your face... EVER!

17. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

There goes the neighborhood.

Sounds good man.

18. DMFB

DMFB

Three days of driving in. 30 miles a day @ 5ish miles per gallon, haha. I think I need to run a little bigger front tire with a stiffer side wall, it is a little sketchy (loose) feeling around 60, but all of the suspension components are tight and in order. I'm going to give that a shot and hope the handling gets better (when I very first drove it with the old tires that were a tad bigger it handled great). All in all it has done well, just tightening things up little by little. I hope to do a good stretch of driving soon. Thanks for the compliments, it feels great to finally be on the road and not just staring at it in my shop.

19. lownslo50

lownslo50
    from Florida

Looks and sounds great. Very cool.

20. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

yeah, it needs at least an 850cfm.

on your maiden voyage you almost pulled out in front of another car. lol... that would have been something....

21. phukinartie

phukinartie

I think your kids just inherited your car sickness

22. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Go Daddy!"

23. DMFB

DMFB

I will switch to the 850 or bigger when I have enough dough to get the performer intake for it, and trash the power robbing stock one. P.S. on my street with a 3 inch mirror you can't see shit until you inch forward enough to peak through the back glass. Even if you do see a car in the mirror, it vibrates so bad one car looks like 40, haha.

Anyone, which I'm sure a bunch of you have, had much experience with stall converters? I have mainly ran 4 speeds in everything I have ever had. Mine has a 3000. It seems like it is off to me, but not sure. If I have my foot in it, it flashes out at 3400 and shifts awesome. Now, trying to drive normal, thats another story. At a light it still tries to inch on me a little, which I heard is completely normal. When I take off very light, it will not shift until I break 3000......which I thought it would shift at a lower rpm unless you were hard on throttle??? Therefor on the street I never see third gear, because I'm running 50 plus mph at 2500 rpm in second. Is this normal? Should I adjust the modulator valve? School me please. :)

24. Congrats on the ride, now go and check all your nuts and bolts to make sure nothing is loose after the "shake" down.

25. DMFB

DMFB

Thank you Swade41, I have been tightening bolts like its my job. With lock washers and nuts I still managed to almost lose my license plate today. Its like having a freakin harley on 4 wheels, lol.

26. damn! love the truck. I'm putting together a 46 chev truck. the similarities are very close.

27. capten icon

capten icon
    from Lodi

this is awesome. makes me stoked to get my '26 t coupe out there and burnin rubber. live the dream bro.

-Pete

28. DMFB

DMFB

Thanks IB, I love the 40's trucks when the roof gets whacked. I love their looks and attitude afterward the best from that era.

29. DMFB

DMFB

I wish I had a 26 T Coupe, lol. I plan to do a 30-31 Model A next. Yeah I know, another guy with a model A.....I do not have a deuce income, lol.

30. rustyhood

rustyhood

There is no cooler feelin than to test drive the first hot rod your son totally built. One day hopfully you'll get that chance...and it's indescribable.I am very proud of the work you did and imagination you turned reality.Now lets get some old school flames rockin on there son!lol