Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lost Drive-In Restaurants

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SUNROOFCORD, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Weasel

Weasel

Here are some photos of cruise night from Char West in Santa Barbara, CA which was a hot spot for cruising in the 1980s - these are Kiwi Kev's pictures 'borrowed';) from another thread....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The New Hampshire Mo. I'm still looking for pictures of the Queenstown Mo.

3. Surprised nobody has put up any pic's of Johnnys/ Bob's Broiler in Downey yet. Still open and still Wednesday Cruise Nights....

4. Does anybody know if the A&W is still open in Solvang? I remember going there about 10-15 years ago and seeing Hotrods.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. Weasel

Weasel

Dunno about that but they flattened the A&W in Paso Robles - anyone got any pix of that one?

6. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Attached Files:

7. Where in NH?

8. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Attached Files:

9. rottenrods

rottenrods

Still have one in Chrisman Il. The Frostop

283john likes this.
  10. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

The Hallmark is great! we drove our 50 plym down tot he shore to visit my grandma and stopped in there on the way back. I just graduated the UConn ag school :)

The dairy bar is still awsome! I milked and showed the cows who made the ice cream...and sometimes i still do :)

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The cars are on Hew Hampshire avenue in Takoma Park, Maryland. It was just the nick name that everyone knew. There is an Ave. named for every state in the union In the District of Columbia where this avenue starts.

The Queenstown Mo is named after the town it was in.

12. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Here's some pics of the Dari-Ette Drive-In that RoscoGordy mentioned in his post above. Located on the east side of St. Paul;

[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-Serif,Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-Serif]The Dari-Ette Drive-in started out as an ice cream stand in 1951. They later added drive-in parking, speaker boxes and a small indoor dining area to the original structure. The Dari-Ette still has car hops. It also offers many Italian items and is famous for its spaghetti sauce. [/FONT]

Attached Files:

13. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

You gotta love the name of this place

14. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

There use to be the Tea House drive in on the NE side of Saint Paul Minnesota with the GO GO dancers on the roof. As an 17 year old you never thought to take pictures, but that place is long gone.

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Just saw where one of my old favorite A&W drive in's is up for sale in Down Town Trenton Michigan..right before the Elizabeth park entrance...Bummer, That place was opened in like 1940 something.
    It must have recently closed, or went up for sale. Because i just had a coney from there last summer.

16. we still have jollys its owned buy a city concilman or maybe hes a state senator well hes some big pollitican ther used to be 3 around here now hes down to two the parking lots are small and full of soccer mom vans

(the food is nothing the write home about) but i go in there about twice a year for a foot long

we also have sonic...................

back when we had millers, and frisches(basically bobs bigboy same franchise) but they got rid of the car hops and the call in stands

there was another but i cant remeber its name it was before my time all i ever saw of it was the rusty remains of the canopy

17. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Here is a cool website I came across which included these pictures of the Airloha Drive-In which was located at 58th Street and 34th Avenue South, PA9-9457 ~Minneapolis

http://www.rhs1962.com/drive-ins.htm

The popular Airloha, owned and operated by the Elman Lemley family featured the famous "Stratoburger", which was a burger with two patties
    with melted cheese in between, two strips of bacon and lettuce and tomato, a first!

Photo credit: Class of 1963 ~

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  18. I know of a few that were in Hampton VA, but don't have any pics. Maybe someone else out there???

The Shoney's on Pembroke Ave.
    The B&M on Kecoughtan Rd.
    Bill's BBQ also on Kecoughtan
    The Rebel at Mercury and Pembroke

Where else?

19. petebert

petebert

Emmett, ID has one called Roe Ann Drive in, they have a webpage but couldn't find much for pictures. http://roeann.com/

Lexington, KY has the Parkette which is open, I believe recently reopened under new owners.

[​IMG]

20. aar0s

aar0s
    from So.Il.

we use to have a Dog n Suds drive in here, barely remember it from being a kid and all, it was turned into a sit down only joint then bulldozed to make way for a convenience store.

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
    Dan MacPherson likes this.
  22. Here's some "Lost Drive-In Restaurant" pics that HAMBer Emeritus Casey posted in the Out for a burger ! What's your favorite place ! let's see them ! thread:

23. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

In Champaign-Urbana Illinois during the 50's and 60's Lendales drew a good crowd. Also two places I worked at in the early 60's was Skip's Fiesta had short skirted car hops,Marty K's famous for the cherry cokes,for cruisin' it was Steak-N-Shake and Dog-N-Suds on Prospect (pretty car hops there) any Illinois guys with pics? Found two pics!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  24. 51wagon

51wagon
    from northwoods

BJR,

I'm not sure when the Chat 'n Nibble closed, but I would guess in the mid to late 60's. Prior to becoming the Chat, I think it was a Twin Kiss drive-in and then a Polar Twin drive-in. Both places specialized in twisted ribbons of chocolate and vanilla ice cream in the same cone.

I do remember White Castle on Lake Street ... both of them. The Vogue and the American theaters were just down the street from the one on West Lake.

25. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

A few of the long-gone ones here in Portland some might remember:

The Tik Tok
    The Speck
    Yaw's Top Notch
    Scotty's
    The Kupie Cone
    Bart's (building later used by The Speck at Foster & Powell)
    Whizburger
    Carmen's

Then there were the chains:

A&W
    Burger Chef
    Tastee Freez

And one that has managed to hang in there:

The Jim Dandy

26. Adriene

Adriene

And of course, the famous Waddles by Jantzen Beach! What a great place! It was a sad day when they announced plans to demolish and replace it with a new Krispy Kreme in 2004.

27. Late 60s while going to Clark College in Vancouver Washington I worked at a Chevron station just kitty corner from the DQ. Best damn job in town. I saw everybody go by. You would cruise through the DQ then down the drag and go to the Burgerville then back up to the DQ. DQ is still there and so is Burgerville but crusing is gone.

28. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

Cool thread. We had a drive in that opened up in I think 85 called "carny's and was a hit in the 80's was always packed but they needed a bigger lot so they moved and they the city shut they down and ran them out then a new one started again few years later and well the city is loving it cuz of the money it brings in. There is also the A&W in boardmen ohio. Go there alot to.

29. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

This year taking my daugter to the drive-in movie. For year keep saying were going but either short money or somebodys kid is having a birthday. Lol but.my daughter is bugg'n to go. So we are going hell to high water were going. I don't have my 29 going yet but we can take my trans am.