Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod mag's next project car a T-Bucket -- I'm renewing!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goober, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Thanks to the world of Facebook, we understand via Dave Freiburger that the next order of business after running the Hemi "Crusher" at Las Vegas this weekend is their new Hot Rod mag project car: a T-Bucket.

[​IMG]

I've been letting that HRM super renewal offer gather dust too long. It's going in the mail today. Will be very interesting to see just how sick they can make one of these little budget rods.

2. 73super

73super

Yeah.. was wondering.. what ever happened to the T-bucket? Have people stopped building them? They were sure the hot ticket in the 50's, 60's, and even 70's.. but they seemed to drop off after that. I can't remember the last time I saw one.

Good to see that it's a feature. Maybe we'll see more in the future?

3. gsport

gsport

i've always like t-buckets... this'll be fun to watch

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

as cool as that should and could be, there is nothing that would make me subscribe to HRM again. 99% of HRMs content is non hot rod... kinda like the NHRA, or the No Hot Rods Association

5. ratbucket47

ratbucket47
    from UBE, PA

i love mine...its a blast to drive! can be a handful if you're not careful lol

[​IMG]

6. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

Good lookin' "T" you got there Ratbucket47

7. ThePontiacKid

ThePontiacKid
    from VA

Can't wait to see what direction they go with it.

8. A good friend of mine has started building one, he hopes to have it drivable by late summer if he can get time to work on it between customers cars. Not finished, but at least moving under its own power. His is the real thing made with 1925 steel provided by Henry's plant.

9. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always try to stick up for Hot Rod. You sure aren't going to see a whole magazine full of pre-48 traditional cars, but if you keep an open mind I promise you will find something you like.

-Abone.

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Good to see that! One of my favorite articles ever was by Rob Fortier when he was a noob at Street Rodder called "Low Buck Bucket" March '96. I hope to have another going soon... Just dragged home a mid sixties Kellison body I found!

11. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I noticed that as well on my FaceBook page. Part of me is excited because this is finally something different than what they've been doing. Don't get me wrong, I love most cars, especially when they're domestic but moderation is very important when it comes to making a car look good. HRM isn't exactly known for that.

I'm seriously concerned though because he also built a r*t r*d motor as he called it.. which was a white SBC with kinda raspberry red accents and a tunnel ram. For all I know, he could be planning on an automatic transmission with IRS and IFS. If anything, I would much rather see a T-bucket build in their alter ego magazine, Hot Rod Deluxe..

But that's just my two cents.

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

T Buckets are still being built everywhere. Several manufacturers, parts suppliers, well almost nothing but bucket stuff.

13. With their recent Leaf Blower "supercharger" article, I've given up hope on HRM.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had a continuous subscription for most of the past 51 years so I'll be able to follow along. Maybe dig out the steel 37 body and the Desoto Hemi and see if they can become a car.
    My wife used to sneak my last T bucket out and drive around town in it when I was at work.

15. Keep

Keep

HAHAHA I have a funny feeling my wife will do the same, well once its done!

16. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Hey Goober, how's this for prices? I took thas at GNRS this year. The sign may be a little old, though. HaHaha

[​IMG]

17. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Just subscribed to this magazine, again. $20 got me 3 years and a clock. Hope to see this build up and others like it. I like T buckets, when done right.

18. Muttley

Muttley

Hopefully they dont build some horrendous contraption like that "32" Summit did about fifteen years ago.

19. moonman29

moonman29

Well im glad to see that and I am also in the process of gathering parts for my bucket build. I got a glass body, 46 Merc banjo rear with juice breaks, a few front I-beams with short unsplit bones, round back spindles, 46 juice breaks for the front and choice of engines, either a 392 or one of 8 v8 flatties I picked up a couple of weeks ago. I will soon star working on the frame. and im also trying to get an old 4-71 for one of the flatties. Still need some parts but I have enough now to start work on it soon.

20. Koz

Koz

I loved the old Street Rodder magazine "Budget Bucket" series. The stance and proportions were dead on. Hopefully they'll do something as good.

Anybody know if there's a reprint of that series available?

21. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

I like Hot Rod for the most part but sometimes they just miss the mark. It's like they try to have one too many masters. Some stuff is like "wow I like this" or "How cool." Then the next month it'll be just boring on boring. As far as the T goes I hope it doesn't go the way the hot rod factory five coupe did. I didn't care for that build at all.

22. ScottV

ScottV

After high school and before the U.S. Air Force, I went to school for Diesel Mechanics and Tractor Trailer repair at the Ohio Diesel Technical Institute (it's called something else now) and there was an instructor there that had a T-bucket with a HUGE FE Ford, and 5.14 gears. Man that things was crazy quick. Before that I never even thought about T's but since I have been a closet fan.

23. paintcan54

paintcan54

I have a T bucket, just pure fun to drive, the wife and I go in it more then any of the 2 other hot rods we have. Nothing better then a nice drive out in the country on a summer eveing.

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I hope they use a chassis like the new Speedway "low boy" version. Gary

25. Kramer

Kramer

X 2 I would love to get it also.

26. rusty bill

rusty bill

I started mine in 1959-now I need to finish it!

27. Those were the days, Tom. Thanks.:)
    [​IMG]

28. doubletubtrouble

doubletubtrouble

That's cool hot rod is starting to get back to its roots

29. A Boner

A Boner

Freibuger rules.........for the price of a subscription, how can you go wrong.

Go to any magazine rack...........5,000 magazines for the women, and 67 magazines for men........ Guys are a bunch of cheap *&^&^$#.