Register now to get rid of these ads!

Firewall Tags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Voh, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Voh

Voh

So i was looking around the LSR today and noticed a number of cars that had the "serial number" on the firewall, on many that looked like fab-in-the-garage aluminum tags. Couple were on what looked like new tags. Can someone help me on this. The 41 i have as the title and body tag and even the rivits for the serial number, but of course no tag. I would believe that makin my own tag in the garage would lead to serious troubles. Is it going to be a big issue or do I just cross my fingers and run off the paper only?

Side note - Crazy turnout at the roundup. bigger then the last couple years, wish the little one would have been more coperative.

VOH

2. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

There is a guy, probably a couple, on here that sell them. I have one on the firewall of my T. Always a good idea to have something easy for someone to compare the title to if you know what I mean. Larry Pearsal is the guy on here I got mine from. He stamps your vin for you too. I had an extra blank one, but gave it to one of my buddies.

3. Voh

Voh

...so does this follow the rules or break them?

4. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

If that's a 41 chevy, shouldn't the vin tag be on the right hand A pillar, if not get a official vin tag from your state and have them put it on, then you should never have any problems.

5. aaggie

aaggie

On my '40 Chevy the original serial number is stamped on a small plate that is rivited to the floor in front of the passenger side corner. When the floor rusted away the tag went with it. I replaced the floors with Bitchin Products kit and had a new tag reproduced with the correct numbers from my title and rivited it back where it was from Chevy when they built it.

Sometime in it's past the serial number was stamped on the frame by the steering box and when I refinished it I brushed some white paint across the number and wiped off the excess leaving an easy to read number.

I had no problem with the Texas DMV and all the numbers match the title.

6. Voh

Voh

who remade the serial tag? Mine Was on the floor, but as with yours, the floor took it with it.

7. mj40's

mj40's

It's different from state to state. Check yours before doing something stupid. I have a reproduction pillar tag on my 38 Chevy but it also has the state issued tag on the frame and opposite pillar that matches my tag.

8. Voh

Voh

Ok - not trying to beat a horse, but I dont want to be screwed either. Just talked to the San Antonio dept of Motor Vehicle about the tag missing on the floor. She indicated that I would need to have the vehicle inspected, then they would issue a reassigned VIN. The part that made me nervous is the comment about the whole thing was when she said "if its not altered, they will issue a VIN". Would "altered" mean anythign not done as an original?

I guess I can trailer it down to the office and have them look at the same thing i am seeing, but it makes me nervous.

Texas guys, please help. PMs or emails are just fine too.

9. GLOBALWARMER

GLOBALWARMER
    from SACRAMENTO

10. You are probably seeing the HAMB ALLIANCE tags many folks buy and run on their firewalls.

11. Voh

Voh

I know what that is. I was looking at crude aluminum stock spamped as well as New body tags, from detroit. Can recall the exact name. The one in particuar was the green truck up on the hill on saturday, next to the gold 3-window. pointed at the Austin Speed Shop / LSR tents.

12. Snyders, Macs and the other suppliers sell those

13. mj40's

mj40's

In Idaho altered gets a "special construction" or "street rod" brand on the title. No big deal!

14. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

lotta people complain about those sort of titles... personally, when i'm driving my hot rod, i couldnt care less if the title says its an airplaneboatski, so long as its legal and i'm enjoying the car.

15. mj40's

mj40's

Better than what they used to say. "Reproduction"