Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

I think #124 would be Dalasandro in Bulfather's post 9539. Denny Z

2. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Wow ! Look at the size of those gussets! :eek:

Attached Files:

3. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

Rich,
    Can' say why, but somehow when you say that (Wow! Look at the size of those gussets!), I have dirty thoughts!

4. New Britain

New Britain
    from England

5. New Britain

New Britain
    from England

6. 4everblue

4everblue

7. mje33

mje33

Who is the driver in the #5 at Riverside in post 9545?

8. yank28

yank28
    from monson,ma

I am not sure, be it may be Gary Colturi

9. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

Post 9528 - That snow racing gets my heart pounding. It looks like F-U-N!!!

10. New Britain

New Britain
    from England

I could not say.
    The linked story says that that car previously was the #300 of Earl Moss, and after this #27 livery was black, with #99 on a white "explosion" background with a red border.

11. New Britain

New Britain
    from England

All things considered, this might be the best vintage asphalt modified video I've ever seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIByNkPl1lg

It's the '68 (mis-labeled "1970") Cardinal 500, as filmed for the Car and Track show. Yes, the hyperventilating commentary is annoying and rather meaningless, and by modern standards the video would be so-so at best. Relative to what else we have, however, it's a joy to see a number of the all-time most iconic cars and drivers (Hendrick 11; Stevens 3; Flemke 2x ["02"], Royster/Wood Bros 21; DeSarro; Bergin; Dunlavey 90 being driven by perhaps LR Yarbrough) and especially several close-ups during the pitstops. You may notice, when the car in the pits catches fire, that it does not seem to occur to a member of the pit crew that the blaze might be related to his smoking a cigarette during the stop, which he continues to do.

12. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

I got a few from the Courtwright collection.....Rich

Attached Files:

13. k9racer

k9racer

B.J. Parker from[ graysville alabama} racing driver from 58 and long time promoter of Southern All Stars, Southern Super dirt series Passed away 04 apr 2011.

14. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

This in the "where are they now" category...Anybody know what became of Dick Fowler from th Upstate NY area? He ran Utica Rome, Albany Saratoga & other paved tracks in the 60s & I think into the 70s. Have a friend that used to be on his crew any he'd like to know what he's doing / where he is these days. Have heard he might be in FL, but no real leads. Any help??

15. pettyblue43

pettyblue43

1973 Wall Stadium prgms and 1973 All Star Racing prgm. Can anyone answer the 3rd pics question about the chicken race?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  16. JoeRacer

JoeRacer
    from Sidney,NY

hey Shamrock 3X,The last I heard Dick Fowler was still in Florida working.Check with Craig@ Craig's motorsports in Onieda,NY. Craig's dad is "Wild" Bill Henry.

17. New Britain

New Britain
    from England

Has this image been on this thread before?

[​IMG]

18. RomanFan

RomanFan
    from Verona N.Y

The picture of Wendel Scotts coach was that by the museum in N.C ?

19. New Britain

New Britain
    from England

20. allstarracing

allstarracing

Some of the tracks back in the day had entertainment races to fill in during the intermissions and one was the chicken race. The drivers had to run a race while holding a live chicken. In order to win he had to finish with a live chicken in hand. Some tracks would have a demolition type race with the driver holding an egg. Some had blindfold races where the driver was blindfolded and a passenger told him where to turn. A few had backwards races where the cars were run in reverse gear. An alternate to the chicken race was the water glass race where the winner was the one left with the most water left in a water glass. Allstarracing

21. kevinnewman502

kevinnewman502
    from Kentucky

that first program from 1973 Tommie was headed for his 5th Wall Championship in Wishnik's "Roaring 20"...at mid summer Tommie in the old Rossell built coach, was tied with Gil Hearne in his first Durkin owned Troyer Pinto...Tommie did not finish the season with Team Wishnik and Gil went on to win his first of many championships for Tom Durkin...man those were some GOOD TIMES!

Wall Fan12 likes this.
  22. kevinnewman502

kevinnewman502
    from Kentucky

Tommie is officially scored w/ 4 Track Championships at Wall Stadium...however, he was docked one back with the "Purple 4"...Tommie had enough points to easily clinch the Mod title in 1961 but relingquised his points for "unsportsmanlike conduct" at the end of the season...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.