Register now to get rid of these ads!

Back in Black! rpu build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgerodder, Apr 12, 2009.

1. AHotRod

AHotRod

How are things looking tonight Dan?

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We just got in from working on the car (2 AM) and Dan went straight to bed as he has to work early in the morning. I don't want to spoil him telling you guys the good news, but he got to drive it for the first time today and it runs great. There are about a zillion 100 foot long double black stripes in front of our shop, and I can't get the silly smile off of his face. We cruised around the industrial park for a while and it rides great and steers and stops like it should.

We took some videos and as soon as he gets some time he is going to put them on YouTube and will post them here. We still have a lot of little things to do every night this week so he can try to make Billetproof, but it looks really possible to make it right now.

I don't mean to butt into his thread, but I know all his friends on here want to know how it is going and I know he may not be near the computer until he gets a break from work and working on the car. Thanks again for everyones interest and support through this long build.

Don

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

That's great news Don! Thanks for posting the update.

4. Whoo hoo!!!

I've been waiting for this day since Dan emailed me asking if we had a decent sandblaster in Tampa to blast the old sedan body...

5. awesome....let me guess, even the skid marks are black....:rolleyes:;):D

Great to hear, although some video would really assist us visualising...:D

Drewfus

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Video! Video! Video! Did it happen?? Inquiring minds would like to know!

7. mosimpson

mosimpson

Congratulations Dan! Great to hear you finally got to drive it. I can't wait to see the video. I'm still dreaming of two black stripes in front of my garage.:D

8. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

I don't post lots of "congratulations" posts but this is a great exception..

CONGRATULATIONS! :)

Nice to see a family effort.

Joe

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Why yes, they are black, but the tire smoke was white! :D:D

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Man looks like you've got those brakes working great! :D

11. Cshabang

Cshabang

[size=+5]atta boy!!!!!!!!!!!![/size]

12. Sweet! That is great news Dan! I just made my marks last weekend, but yours are better, haha!

[​IMG]

13. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

CONGRAT'S Dan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know you want everything perfect. You now have a running and driving car and that thing better be at BILLETPROOF .You can sort the bug's out later. Gregg

14. Uhhhhh... I can take a photo of a drag strip with black marks a 1/4 mile long and it still doesn't prove that my car made them...!:eek: Hahaha...:D

Let's see the video of the culprit just to prove that it wasn't done by the family truckster! ;)

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are SUCH a tease, Don! :eek::eek:

Come on! Come on!! We need details! How'd it go!!!??

16. Yes inquiring minds want to know.

17. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

It's taken me 4 nights after work to go through this whole thread. Incredible build, it was time well spent for me! I love the look of the truck and all the details you've put into it! Amazing job, I wouldn't change a thing, except the numbers on the odometer!

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks everybody. Dan and I talked tonight about how bad he feels that he hasn't had time to come on and post an update or some pictures/videos, but his days for the past month or so have been going to work at 8:30, coming home anywhere from 6-8pm, then going immediately to the shop to get some stuff done. In fact, we just got in (it's 3:45 am), ate some McDonalds breakfast food and he went to bed to get 4 hours sleep before doing it all over again tonight. But the end is in sight. :)

Here is where he is on the car. It is essentially done and it will be going to Billetproof. We have only a couple of minor things to do like mount the cowl vent door and one door handle, and it is done. It still hasn't sunk in for Dan that it is really done, and all we can talk about is going to BP and seeing all of our friends again.

Once we get this weekend out of the way neither of us is going to do anything but sleep and get back on schedule. Dan accomplished a huge amount of work in the past month to make BP, and I am so proud of the way the car came out and how he stuck to it through lots of issues.

Thanks again everyone for taking this jouney with him and for all your encouragement.:)

Don

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Way to go. But please get some sleep before you hit the road!!!!!!!! Sorry to say I'll miss the debut, as I'm sure it will be fun. See ya next time, fer sure. Gary

20. striper

striper

Me neither.

Congratulations Dan. Have a ball this weekend.

Pete

21. See you guys there!!

22. It may never sink in. These damn cars are never really done. LOL

23. Is it "REALLY DONE"???

Hahaha... get some sleep... I've waited several years to see the video... I guess I can wait another couple of days...!

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think it is being planned that pictures and video will not be posted here until after the debut at the upcoming event.

So we have to wait :( Oh well :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  25. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I didnt realize that at all...

Its like a kick ass vacation... you look forward to it all year long... then take off and spend a week in paradise and slowly realize its almost done..

That's how I feel. It looks awesome... just sad to see the build go away!

26. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

No, Dan wouldn't do that to his friends on here. :) It's just the time thing. Literally every spare second for the past month or more has been consumed by this deadline for BP thing. Everything else has suffered, like laundry, our home is a mess, we are both operating on 4 hours sleep a night, and the guys at the 24 hour McDonalds know us by name as we stop there about 3 am every morning on the way home to get some grub.

I would post a video for him, but I am computer illiterate, plus I have already intruded too much into his thread. I don't want to spoil that fun for him.

He said today when he was going out the door to work that he has to come home tonight and crash for an hour before we go to the shop again, and I know how he feels. One more day of this and then it all ends. :D Isn't hot rodding FUN????? :rolleyes:

Don

27. Dan, Just think of how good it'll feel when you gently, yet firmly, drive through the gates at Billetproof on Saturday... Ahhhhhhh!!!!!

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, it sure is. The payoff will come when the car is done and the house is clean and there is a real meal to eat :)

29. Rumor has it the guys are on their way to BP. Stand proud Danny, ya done good!