Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest the "DREAM TRUCK REUNION" @ the SK500

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straykatkustoms, Mar 16, 2011.

1. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago when I was in high school, they're was a kustom shop in Dewey, Ok that always
    had the koolest stuff sitting around. I would drive by the shop and you would see everything
    out of this world; Starbird customs, Evel Knievel projects and even the Dream truck. One day
    I finally built up enough nerve to stop by the shop to check it out. Carl Green & Wes Jones was
    running the place and he told me about all of the projects that he had worked on and I was a
    changed man. I was always into art but never thought that you could drive it. I was a real odd ball
    in high school, everyone in school was driving muscle cars that were jacked up and I was trying
    to figure out ways to make my 55 Chevy sit lower. No one understood what I was doing.(They still
    wonder today LOL!)

Back then I didn't realize who Carl Green was, but I kick myself today for not hanging out
    at the shop. If Carl didn’t have his shop in Dewey and not take the time to show me his
    pictures of past builds I would not be into Kustoms today and that would really suck. I
    can’t imagine not being around my kustom family.

We feel like Carl (fellow HAMBer whamoman) is the purrfect person to give a tribute to
    during our show.Carl has always worked behind the scene and we need to celebrate all of
    the kool things that he has done through out his career. During our tribute we are going
    to have a Dream Truck Reunion, it’s been over thirty years since the truck has been back
    to Dewey and I can’t think of a kooler way to celebrate our tenth show.

Carl accepted the offer and it was kool to hear his excitement for the tribute. I told Carl
    my idea and he ran with it and this is how the Dream Truck Reunion was started. Besides
    Carl and the Dream truck at this years Stray Kat 500 we will have Gene Winfield, Kurt
    McCormick, Dave Stuckey and no telling who else is going to show up for the ceremony. This is going to be a kool day…

Below are pictures taken behind Carl Green and Wes Jones shop in Dewey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For more background information concerning Carl Green & the Dream Truck, be sure to
    checkout kustomrama’s web site.

http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Rod_&_Custom_Magazine’s_Dream_Truck

Also checkout Jonnie King’s web site.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=567244

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=569344

I would like to thank Gene Winfield, Kurt McCormick and Carl Green for their help in
    organizing the reunion. It literally would not have happened without you guys

Stay tune, lot more to tell ya guys.

Happy Trails, Mick

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. yblock292

yblock292

how kool ! But you said when you were in high school? That was only a couple of years ago!

3. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

I can't wait!!!!!!!

4. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

32 years ago. Yep, your right just a couple.... LOL!

5. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Too Kool! This shindig just keeps getting better and better!

6. yblock292

yblock292

Plan on leaving from here friday morning, by the way you sure got a kool avatar!

7. fuddpucker

fuddpucker

WOW! 32 years ago I didn't realize you're so old!

8. wild_eye

wild_eye
    from Seneca, MO

this is just to kool im leaving this weekend

9. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Sounds good, there's 3 cars coming from Gypsum, this could turn into quite a caravan!

I rather like my new avatar too:)

10. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

11. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This will be a lot of fun seeing the truck back in town.

12. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

I'm going to steal it and cruise the wheels off it while kurt mccormik isn't looking!!LOL

13. I hope to be there without Roadkill. Take care.
    Later,
    Dick

14. sperryhood

sperryhood

I will be there for the 10 time not in the chop 46 but the chop 49 MERC. Bob

15. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very Kool! You can drive my Merc if you want to or we can steal Travis Hot Rod.(I
    mean borrow.) LOL!!

Man I'm looking forward to seeing the Merc. You have been working on it for a while.
    Hey I just remembered, You used some of my parts, that makes us like Merc cuzins.

16. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a liquoir store right down the street....

17. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

And while you're in the dream truck I'll be in a certain purple Caddy....

18. going to be a cool time

19. 46chevy

46chevy
    from reeds,mo

this is great. the dream truck has always been my favorite custom!!

20. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was talking to Jeff (aka Fink'd) last night and we were wondering if anyone had any
    pictures of the the Dream Truck being towed by the Chevy Pick up? The only one
    that we've seen is the famous wreck pictures.

Happy Trails, Mick

21. In the words of the famous Flounder on Animal House...."Oh booy, is this GREAT!"

22. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Micky, Any place that you would recommend staying on Sat. night that would be sorta' kid friendly and within' a budget.......were sorta' thinking about heading down there for a day trip with some "Murphy's" tossed in.

Chris

23. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

I stayed at the comfort inn last year, clean rooms and quiet, this year we're stayin with all the hooligans at the best western :)

24. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LaQuinta has and indoor pool and it is less then $80 a night. It is a mile south of the
    host hotel and right off of highway 75. I know the kids like the pool, I've been to many
    Birthday parties there. Bowling alley / Arcade right next door to the hotel. The address
    is 1410A Southeast Washington Blvd, Bartlesville, OK 74006 (918) 331-9151

http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do?propId=6440

Super 8 is right accross the street from the host and is the cheapest place to stay around
    the action. No pool.. and its full.

Hope this helps, if not let me know...

Happy Trails, Mick

25. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Thanks. Still up in the air with a 20 month old kid....& the LA swapmeet that weekend. We may see ya'!

Chris

26. Krobe

Krobe

Be sure to bring lotsa sunshine...

27. You can trust Mick with the hotel recommendations. Right, Mick?
    Later,
    Dick

28. HatGuy

HatGuy
    Alliance Vendor
    from Arkansas

Heard the Dream Truck is going to be a No Show...something about Mickey getting involved with some guy from Branson Mo. who wanted to haul the truck to the show in exchange for keeping it in his museum...and then the owner giving Mick an award for building a car he didn't actually build?

29. ????????

Now I am a guy who is nobody to anybody and knows nuthin about nuthin, but that sounds a bit off to me. For the most part, Kurt drives his cars to all the shows they go to. Second, Kurt gave an award to Mick not for building a car, but for being a cool car guy. Kurt pretty much gives his picks to the people, not the car, as he says when he hands them out.

30. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your right the Dream truck will not be in Dewey. Kurt changed his mind the day before the
    Branson Museum was going to pick it up. Kurt called me and he said that he has something
    come up and it was going to keep him from coming to Dewey. I told him no big deal. Before
    I announced it on the HAMB, I wanted to talk to Gene Winfield at the Lone Star Round up.
    (Gene was the one getting Kurt to bring the Dream Truck to Dewey) Winfield talked to Kurt
    and he did not change his mind. That is ok with us. The SK 500 will still be kool it just won’t
    have the Cherry on top.

Question about me getting an award at Branson? Wow where did that come from? It is no
    secret that I didn't build my Merc. I've never said it on the HAMB that I did or ever acted
    like it anywhere. Some people may think that I that because I know about everything
    that has been done. If it wasn’t for my kool kustom family the Merc would still be ugly but
    I would still be driving it today. I’m very thankful for all of the help. The issue about me
    winning a trophy among 50 cars in Branson can’t be controversy. No one can question my
    dedication to Kustoms. Just because I haven’t built a kustom before, doesn't mean that
    I'm not a real Kustom guy. I’m not all Hat, I have Cattle.

This year at the Stray Kat 500 we are doing a tribute to a very special guy (Carl Green)
    because of what I’ve already mentioned at the beginning of the post. Gene Winfield will be
    there and many other kustom guys to support Carl. This is going to be a very kool day
    because I will be able to thank someone that got me into kustoms. If it wasn’t for Carl
    Green, the Stray Kat 500 would have never been started.

Any more questions just let me know…

Happy Trails, Mick