Register now to get rid of these ads!

walking foot sewing machine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by opu27, Apr 4, 2011.

1. opu27

opu27
    from ONYX,CALIF

Want an industrial sewing machine for doing interior for my 27 roadster. I won't use leather. Singer, Pfaff, Consew or maybe other. Would like an older machine with experence. Need advice from others, bad and good. Thanks, Dick :)

2. badsco

badsco

I am in no way experienced in upholstery, but I bought a JUKI LU563 in the local classifieds for around $500 to do exactly what you describe. This is an industrial machine made for this kind of thing, and can sew many layers of whatever you throw at it.
    Owning an old Singer (though not a walking foot) there is no comparison here.
    Most of the industrial machines use a motor that runs continuously and clutch setup, where you engage (slip) as needed. As a beginner I found this way too fast and very hard for me control, so figured out a pulley arrangement to cut it by 1/3.
    I found a local sewing machine supply/service center to have the machine checked out and serviced after I bought it. Between them, my local upholstery supplier and some upholstery books I checked out of the library I got a ton of great info.
    Research whatever make/model you find first - make sure that parts are easy to find, as well as different welting feet, bobbins etc. Stuff for my JUKI is available everywhere

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

check the classifieds, there are a few, and this should really be in the wanted section there.

4. no... i think he's good here. its a looking for advice thread... i for one am curious to see the replies.

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

6. mtpockits

mtpockits

this is a 99k 3/4 head machine made from 1952-57, very sturdy unit, it will sew whatever you want with it with eze. i will clean and service this unit for you, i have 2 that i no of and maybe a 3rd, we have 3 stores and we do no our sewing machine. i will ship one to ya for 125.00 to your door ready to sew.

[​IMG]

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yeah, but it's not a walking foot type machine. What you really do need for doing trim stuff is a walking foot. Any of the above mentioned brand names will do. When you look at the machine, turn the hand wheel towords you and watch down by the needle. you should see the presser foot actually move with the feed teeth below it. That is how you know you have a walking foot machine. There is another derivitive of the walker, and that is called "compound needle, compound feed". It would look the same with the presser foot walking, but the needle move for to aft at the same time as well. These are the ultimate for heavy stuff, but a bit more knowledge is ness. to set them up and keep them running. A walking foot will get you through damn near any automotive trim you will need to do anyway. There is one more thing to think about, it's called the Thompson mini walker. It is a small house hold sized machine based on an older White home machine casting. These work well as first trim machines, and can be found cheap, but do too much and you will out grow it quickly. If you have anymore questions, feel free to P.m. me. I grew up in the sewing machine buisiness and have done lots of repair and set ups over the years.

8. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

You lucky bastard.

I've been looking for one of those for quite some time. That is in my opinion the best upholstery machine ever made.

as for advice. I would stay away from Pfaff, not that they are bad machines they are just a pain in the ass when they go out of time. Juki's are excellent, Consew and Adler are good machines. The singer industrial walking foot machine are also very good machines. As with most things the older ones are usually better. You can still get parts for all the machines I mentioned so don't let that bother you if you find an old one. My buddy has a Singer made in '59 and he can still get parts for his.

Stay away from the chinesse copy's of singers and jukis. You might see them sold under the "Artisan" name. Some sew fine, others are pure junk, but if you don't know what to look for just leave them be, it's not worth rolling the dice over.

9. kustom beale

kustom beale
    from ladner b.c

pfaff are a real high end machine but expensive

10. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

hi.ive been doing trim for 46 years,still use the pfaff 145 h4 i bought then,have 1 more 145 and 1245,yep parts are high,but you probobly wont ever need them.now a little about me.i started j&k upholstery in Modesto al about 74,probobly did work for some on here.if you recall frank marini's merc or his 32 coupe from back then,i did those.i seen on here that his car has been changed after his passing,but some one recalls.my opinion,buy a pfaff,make money with it,then you can sell it and get your money back.good luck.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you aren't going pro, the Sailrite machines http://search.sailrite.com/category/sewing-machine-ultrafeed-111-professional-long-arm-big-n-tall are popular with sailors who repair their own sails and canvas.

The pfaff machines like 56Premier has are top rated.

There are usually companies that repair and sell commercial machines in most metro areas.
    I know there is one in Renton,Wa that has been there since I was born or before and I used to see the big commercial machines in the window when I was a kid.
    I've seen a few show up on craigslist here locally but they don't seem to last long before they are gone.

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I have a Sailrite that I bought almost 20 years ago that's done right by me. The only thing I don't like is the short throat, makes it tough to do tops, and the bobbin is small, which is aggravating if I forget to check it and run out in the middle of a seam. I've done half a dozen interiors, several tops, it's paid for itself dozens of times over.

Brian