Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. A little OT, but thought you all might like this. Jive Bomber's thread on wooden toys got me searching this morning...

Attached Files:

2. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

That's not Public information Roy.. :D:D:D

3. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

The "MAN"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

4. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

There's a local guy that makes the bodies. I'll dig out his email address and post it for you. :D

5. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Little off topic here but another "Hats Off" to AJ. When things were looking gloomy most the rest of the herd jumped to CART, not AJ he stayed with Tony Hulman. You gotta respect him for that too. As for the present day drivers Smoke has my vote too. Denny Z

6. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Pics of the NOVI as requested.. ;)

My old man did the lettering on this car. I remeber when they restored it (10-15 years ago) We went to look at the body panels to make Templates of where the lettering and logos were. I remember the panels still had good color and were in okay shape. The PURE logos, The NOVI logo's, and the V8 were all hand painted back when the car was done, so they wanted to match that. My old man did good! One of the neatest things that pop did was when he was making his notes for where the lettering went, he noticed that the ORIGINAL sign painter had lost a hair out of his brush in one of the hood #15's.. Dad made note of it, measured where it was, and when he re-lettered the car after paint.. He put another BRUSH HAIR in the same spot! The guys at Zakira's LOVED it and we've all been good friends since.

Enjoy.

(Over the near 15 years of this car being ran HARD at vintage events and being in other shops for matenance.. Some items are questionable, such as the Anodized conections)

J Shaw

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  7. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

More NOVI.

Attached Files:

8. Love the Novi!

Jan Opperman tribute

9. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Hogle and Thomas, in the Woodland museum mural, still friends.

Attached Files:

10. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Josh, do you mean the anodized connections are "questionable" from a condition standpoint, or as far as not being correct for the period?
    Beautiful stuff. You're blessed to have the connections you do.
    Don't tell the Missus, but if you happened to need help finishing up the Stutz/Miller to make it to the Speedway, I'd quit my job in a heartbeat.:D

11. We agree :cool: . A.J. and "Smoke" both get in anything and drive the wheels off it. Yes, A.J. stayed with the oval track guys. Those CART road course guys had the $dough$, but Tony had the diamond, "Indy".

12. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Yesterday I spent an incredible afternoon with one of our friends, Jim Graybeal. Jim's dad Virgil owned the Southern Star, and Jim raced midgets and TQ's. He currently owns the Vogler Coor's car which He'll have at some vintage events this summer. If you get the chance spend some time with him... you won't regret it.
    PK

13. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

PK is right. Any time with Jim would be well spent.

14. Jerracer

Jerracer

In all the years I watched the Tamale Wagon at Ascot, I never saw anyone else hike the left front like this. Guess ol AJ liked em with lots of inside weight.

15. jmh

jmh

That would make a great wall mural or at least a poster!! John

16. jimg12

jimg12

Josh,
    I can see where you learned from one of the best as far as work goes and from as far as a good person goes. PK and IndyBig John thanks a lot >
    Jim
    P.S.- When I get back up north I will buy a new printer where I can share what I have with all of you.

17. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

4/1/11 update from WRA
    VAN BLARGEN UP DATE 4/1/2011

Kenny is doing better and is in Rehab. He would appreciate cards from our members. Please mail to:

Kenny Van Blargen C/O Kentfield Rehab Hospital

1125 Sir Francis Drake Blvd. Kentfield, CA 94904-1455

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]​

18. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

Hey Guys ......Havn't been on here in a while but I posted a 56 chevy truck that is a recreation of AJ Watsons/Rodger Wards Indy Mobil truck from the day. Its in the classifieds and reads as follows. Anyone interested can contact me. I'll have pix soon. Thanks Tom Bliss

1956 Chevrolet 3500 -AJ Watson Rodger Ward MOBIL station replica truck
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title -->
    <!-- message -->1956 Chevrolet 3500 truck with 4 speed. Truck is a replica of AJ watsons/Rodger Wards MOBIL gas station truck that was located in Indy.Truck has original intierior in very good condition as well as a 350 chevy with 4 barrell. Awesome for towing your antique racer or classic driver. This veichle is rust free and presently lisensed in Indiana. Truck is located in the Brownsburg /Indy area and garage kept. We are presently selling off part of our collection so our loss is your gain. Truck speaks for itself. I'll be posting pix soon. Feel free to contact for more details.

(585)733-2190 Fred
    Or (315)378-7930 Tom

[email protected]

19. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I ran some brake lines this weekend but have not clamped them down. Anybody have some pics of vintage style clamps holding brake lines to tubing? Thanks

20. wynns #1

wynns #1

BZNEIL,
    I think you will find that holding it down with electrical tape was used as well as clamps.

21. Thanks for that hlfuzzball......thought it might have been him through seeing some photos on this thread.

22. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Cut the rubber off the new ones if you really wanna use actual hoops..

I use Electrical tape or Friction tape.

23. The "Traditional/Vintage" fuel line clamp on a southern Okalhoma vintage race car is "bailing wire":D

A wire "rusty" coathanger will do if you're in a hurry.

24. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, Brian26. I am confused? Do you mean sence I am not from the south. I am not suppose to use bailing wire? I have been doing this all wrong! What am I going to do with all this wire??????? :D

25. Offy 220

Offy 220

I would agree with Joe. Black electrical tape was used for many purposes. I have some early Offy injector stacks with hoses wrapped with electrical tape and a Halibrand Q/C with axles wrapped with black electrical tape. If they had extra on the roll they used it to secure the brake lines, if not, sounds like bailing wire or coat hangers would do the trick. :)

26. christiea29

christiea29

Hi I'm Christie, Jimmy White's daughter. My grandfather was Johnny White. I don't know alot about my grandfather but I really would love to hear or see any thing you guys have. My son is 13 now and I really want to show him who his great grandpa and Great grandpa was and how special he was. You can also e-mail me at [email protected] Thank you guys.....

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Welcome Christie, your grandfather has been discussed on this thread many times but it's so massive now it could be hard to find them all. So here's a few pics to start.

Attached Files:

• jw1.jpg
      jw1.jpg
      File size:
      347.3 KB
      Views:
    • jw2.jpg
      jw2.jpg
      File size:
      112.2 KB
      Views:
    • jw3.jpg
      jw3.jpg
      File size:
      170.1 KB
      Views:
    • jw4.jpg
      jw4.jpg
      File size:
      93 KB
      Views:
  28. Josh,I thought I knew where you were coming from with the AN fittings on the Novi.....looked too new,but I thought if it ran in historic races now,this was a fair modification.Then I found this photo in one of my 'comics'.......taken in 1958...

Attached Files:

29. christiea29

christiea29

Thank you Rootie. Trust me I have sat in this chair for 2 days reading. And I love every min of this whole thread. This is pure entertainment to me. I love listening to everyone of your guys comments. It's funny because I could talk racing for months and years and I married a man that knows nothing about it. It makes me so mad when I try to talk to him about it. I feel like I'm talking to myself. But at least we don't fight about who we like more. I will read this whole thread and you guys it's a pleasure reading it. Thank you and keep the stories rolling..... Christie

30. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Christie, Welcome to this site. I didn't know your Grand Dad but I sure knew of him. Racing is so good to some and so cruel to others. Had it not been for one tragic accident he would have been a star. One thing for sure you can be proud of him. However I can offer this site that will give some of his records.

http://www.champcarstats.com/drivers.htm

Denny Z