Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Who' Selling Tha' SAME PARTS TWICE??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smokey2, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

True, and i dont care what anyone says,, its smart to know how your money is used, especially if its going to be used against you. fuck Pay Pal..how un American

now..about the deal, its bull shit..he made a deal with the guy and he fucked him, yeah maybe plenty of people flake, but he wasnt even given that respect, or chance..thats bogus and Un American

If it were me selling the parts , i would have took down the guys number and told him, hey if this guy flakes, I'll call you..now is that too hard?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  2. To me it's simple I personally give a guy a chance to keep his word. If he says he's coming, or paying by a curtain time I give him that chance. While waiting, if another guy wants the item, what ever it is, he becomes the backup in case the fellow that spoke first does not come thru, etc.. Explainning this to all parties involved as they lined up has always served me well over the years, and all seam to understand.

3. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

You are a standup guy---

4. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

I,m not a new member so it Ok for me to Bash the 34cpe5w?
    I bought a 32 tudor body from him.He said it had Good drip rails and no rust in the subrails.
    LIAR.
    I learnt from that deal,
    I would never deal with him again.

Attached Files:

5. 41fred207

41fred207

x2 sold parts here in the classified and in some cases sent the part before getting payment after checking their profile.

6. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

this has got to be the most usless thread in recent history... and that is saying a LOT.

sucking up bandwidth for something that should be taken care of in PM... sad.

i understand your angst, and i agree, its a shitty deal. but you arent out anything but some time.

7. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

I agree. Nearly as annoying as those damn teenagers and their abbreviations.

8. 34cpe5w

34cpe5w
    1. 34 Fords

I was not surprised when I went on the comp this morning to find that Mr. Smokey2 posting what see above.

First of all - I did not take his money nor did I sell them from under him.

As Paul Harvey says "Now for the rest of the story":

I posted the rear horn covers on 12/30/2010. Had bumped the ad a few times throughout the past few months. Last bumped it on 04/02, Saturday AM. Had a gentleman from Milwaukee, WI contact me off an ad on the Fordbarn on Wednesday concerning other 1932 Ford parts I had. I told him my only day of availablity due to work was Sunday. Smokey2 contacted me Saturday AM, saying, "sold figure shipping." I have had 3 other inquiries asking me for shipping costs. Now since there were 2 pairs of covers for sale, I PM'ed him back asking if he wanted both pairs or just one and that I needed his zip code to figure shipping costs. Also that if he wanted both pairs, I would pay the shipping and I gave my address to him to send the M.O. On Saturday afternoon, Smokey2 replied to my PM stating he did not realize there were 2 pairs and he wanted to know which was the "Best Set" and shipping costs to him. Well both sets had something wrong with them, so I wanted to get a better look at them before I replied back to give my opinion which I thought was the better set. On Sunday AM, the gentleman from Milwaukee came to look at the other parts. I have all the '32 parts sorted out. He looked at the parts which included the horn covers, I look at them to figure which were the better set. Neither were better than the other. He said he would buy all the parts, so I sold him the parts. Smokey2 and I never had a deal, I did not sell them out from underneath him, I did not get more money by selling it to the other guy. So all those different paths this thread has taken are not applicable in this incident.

I seen others comment on the difficulty on reading and understanding Smokey2's posts and PMs. I also had a hard time understanding what he was trying to say and if he completely understood what I was asking him. There were pics and descriptions of each set on the ad, so I did not feel it was my decision to figure out what I thought was the better set. I am not here to talk bad about anyone and I have not thrown any stones in this post. I try to be fair and as honest as possible with all I deal with. Aussiesteve and I did have an issue with a '32 sedan body my dad owned and I got/gave him incorrect information, which I tried to rectify, but Steve was very upset with me and did not want to deal with me and I understood. I do not want a bad name in the small world we live and have our hobby in.

Most of my post on the HAMB are in the classifieds, buying and selling mostly 32-36 Ford parts. I have sold to hundreds of people and have had many repeat customers.

So there is the rest of the story and if someone thinks I still did Smokey2 wrong, than I understand. But now others can know the whole story and make their opinions based on that information.

Thank you for your time.

9. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Like 'wtf' and 'kinda'?

10. If I had two pieces of something and someone said they wanted one of them - & then was hemming & hawing over which one, how much to ship, etc..... & someone else came & wanted them both - hell yeah, the man in front of me with cash own them.

Standing at a swap meet vendor's space & you tell the guy you'll take one of the widgets that he has two of, but you dicker around re: which one, & don't pay him yet. He sells them to someone else while you're standing there. Was he wrong? I think not.

You farted around & missed the part. Pull up your big girl panties & get over it.

JH

11. A mans word is his bond.
    Period!!!
    It's a sorry world where money rule's, it is the root to all evil, all beit a nessary root.

-----------------------------
    I only do what the voices in my head tell me to do ...

12. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

"If I had two pieces of something and someone said they wanted one of them - & then was hemming & hawing over which one, how much to ship, etc..... & someone else came & wanted them both - hell yeah, the man in front of me with cash own them".

Which set is best ? How much to ship ?
    Both seem like very legit questions to me.

If you told him it's a deal when he called (before the other dude showed up) they were his, then pure and simple they were his.

13. I called a guy about an OT engine, said I'd buy it sight unseen and drive the 400km trip to pick it up the next day, he agreed, got everything organised, get a txt the next morning.

"Sold it mate, it had to go"

I didn't low ball him on the price or anything, he knew I was organizing all this shit so I could come and pick up this engine and that I would be there that afternoon.

What a fucking wanker, certainly not a man of his word. :mad:

[/rant]

14. 1Bad67

1Bad67

It's wrong to sell it to someone else after you gave your word.
    I've gone thru with deals before knowing I was screwing myself.
    BECAUSE I GAVE MY WORD.

15. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

i dont have a horse in this race,

but the thing that is a lil irritating is when a seller sells something and doesnt mark the item sold, and when i inquire about item they either dont answer or act like they get pissed off .

16. It sucks, but it happens. I suspect it could be the ol' "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" deal. The seller may have been a man of his word at some point, but got burned a few times too many.
    Has anyone ever made an appointment to look at something, only to be surprised to find another buyer looking to buy the same vehicle/part? The bidding war that ensued ticked me off and I walked, totally pissed at the gas and two hours wasted, only to come home empty handed!

17. darkk

darkk

When I agree to buy something, I immediately ask if they take paypal. If so the money deal is done right then. If they take money order only, I will go to the bank, get the money order ASAP with thier name typed in by the bank, addressed envelope with stamp and name on it. I take a picture of it and send the money in the mail and send the seller the photo to prove I sent the money...Then patiently wait two weeks for the seller to get the money, package the item and wait for the slow boat from china to arrive with my new goodies...YAY!

18. I'm going to ask people to do that from now on... good idea!

19. yep, perfectly acceptable....you actually bought something and got screwed....You should be the one starting this thread.

20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

It is very sad that so many responders to this thread seem NOT to believe that a man's word is his bond. What follows is a true story. In 1995 there was a 51 Merc convertible for sale in Georgia. I went and looked at it and told the seller I would definitely buy it, so consider it sold. We shook hands on the deal and I was to return in a month with all the cash. In the meantime, a fellow from Chicago (with the same first name as mine) called the seller, identified himself as "Jim" saying he would be driving over with a trailer to pick up the Merc.
    The seller thought it was me who was calling and said OK. The fellow drives all the way from Chicago to Georgia with his trailer only to find out that the seller (an elderly gentleman) had
    gotten confused -thinking that the caller was me. He told the "Chicago fellow" that the car was already promised to the "Jim" in FL. and that a deal was a deal. The fellow went home with an empty trailer. Two weeks later I returned ,closed the deal and trailered the car back home. Mr. Bill Alexander (RIP) of Sparks, GA was a man of his word.

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this thread cracks me up. dude didn't "purchase" anything. sending a PM don't mean shit.
    I live by the old saying "Money talks, everybody else can go fuck themselves".

22. 34cpe5w

34cpe5w
    1. 34 Fords

Please explain to me where I was not a "man of my word"

Smokey2 did not know which pair he wanted, even realizing there were 2 pair. No money was remotely discussed, cuz I did not do a shipping quote.

I am a man of my word, ask Doodlerodz about the '32 roadster dash I sold him when I had 8 other PMs on it and many PMs telling me they needed more than he did. I was a man of my word and it was sold to him. I had 3 different inquiries on these horn covers on shipping and never heard back after inquiring on if they wanted both sets or one.

I do not post sold until the a deal has been made, money is transfered, and the part is shipped. That is why I update my posts with sold-pending payment and than update it when it has been shipped and confirmed delivered.

I do agree alot of people have personal incidences where they got burned, I am included, but this particular issue is not one of them.

Regardless of whoever thinks I am a "man of my word" or not, I know I am and try to make it right with any and all I deal with. I know that and that is the only person that counts.

23. sodas38

sodas38

34cpe5w....is Aces and Spades in my book. I'd be willing to bet he feels bad about the transaction but had to make a decision.

24. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

He writes the way he talks.

25. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

34cpe5w is a stand up guy in my book I sent him the money he sent me the parts!

26. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I can't believe this has gone for 5 pages. For cry'n out loud, we've heard from both parties, one of whom can't type, spell, or put a sentance together that makes sense, had references to the evil conspicracy of Paypal trying to undermine the 2nd ammendment, heard dozens of guys crying about how THEY got fucked out of a deal 20 years ago. Good God, give it up. Get over it, move on, nothing to see here.

Bottom line is, THERE WAS NO DEAL. These guys NEVER had an agreement to exchange parts for money, nobody got paid, nothing got shipped, broken, lost, or misrepresnted. Jeez, isn't there anything better or more interesting going on?

27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Things happen all the time. We seem to be in a "cry baby" epidemic lately. If a deal isn't done, well it isn't done. Too bad about the 32 deal, and if you tried to make it right and the guy refuses, he should enjoy his whaa'mburger.

I'm currently in a bad deal with a cry baby client who's been beating up on some folks who are finacially much weaker than he is. Nothing will make it right. I have just about enough time to visit our board during lunch breaks and little else thanks to this. In the end I will be the bad guy no matter if I do it for free and even pay him a bonus. We all get there from time to time and pissing and moaning on a public forum is the most counter-productive action one can take. My bad deal has NOTHING to do with anyone here, and by and large, I feel this place and it's people are top notch. I reckon the short version is "GET OVER IT". Nice to see the other side man up and post from his end, but let's close this piece of shit guys.

28. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I guess I have been very fortunate to deal with honorable people on the HAMB, I have bought many things using Postal Money Orders and sellers have been fine about waiting for it to arrive. I guess there are some people that have no trust and have to have instant gratification in their lives.

29. Had a friend spot a car in the local classifieds ... went to see it, liked it, put a $500 deposit down on it. When he went back (with the rest of the cash to pick it up) the car was gone. The old lady selling it said "someone offered me more money, here is your deposit back". Nice huh ... I do understand that older people may be on a fixed income, and every little bit helps but ... that was just wrong.

30. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

Or maybe the Supreme Court of Comedy Tom Arnold can be his lawyer! He almost had me feelin sorry for him until the 2nd amendment rant. Actions have consequences he chose not to pay with preferred means. Oh Well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.