Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods CROSLEYS- Mild to Wild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spoggie, Dec 26, 2010.

1. And for whomever was looking for a Crosley steering box, PM me.

2. My posts are ALL about my deceased father. Maybe I should contact Ryan about this bullying.

3. dawford

dawford

Daughter,

I don't think Tman was trying to bully you.

He was somewhat diplomatic in his first reply by first complimenting your book.

While not all of your post refer to your book many of them do.

I am sure that you are rightly proud of your fathers accomplishments and want others to share in the details that you have put together in your book.

I think that Tman would agree that you might find that an address to another web site or thread embedded in your signature line would accomplish the same thing while not appearing to be a for sale sign embedded in a post.

I hope that you will not think that I am piling on or trying to bully.

Anyway I will try to get your book.

Dick :) :) :)

4. Dick,
    Thanks for mediating...
    I only posted information about my book at posts that referred directly to my dad by name to let the HAMBer know that there was a book, if they wanted more information about him or if they already knew him.
    In the future, I will only include the website link to my book.
    Kathy

5. Thanks Vhutch- good example of '61 crafting there.

6. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

That's maybe my favorite Crosley-powered vehicle ever... the Eyerly Crosley, nicknamed the 'Porsche Duster.'

Eyerly was a hydroplane racer who decided to get into Hmod racing- he built a simple but very light car and tore the bejeesus out of racetracks for about 5 years. I met a guy who raced against him back in the fifties in an XK120 with a motor out of a C type. He said that if the track had a lot of long straights he'd win but that if the track had many curves Eyerly would take him. He said it was really frustrating to have his Jag beat by a homebuilt Crosley!

Here's my Crosley 'vert when I was on a roadtrip a decade ago and another of the Hmod I'm tinkering with...

Attached Files:

7. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank you! I could not for the life of me remember his name! I have heard that story with the XK120 as well. I have met the current owner and have seen the car several times at local shows...it is quite impressive to see and hear run!

Very nice looking Crosley racer!

8. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

Thanks! been following your build for a while- that T is amazing!

Eyerly's trick was two-fold:

first, make the car super straightforward.. most of the running gear was very mildly modified Crosley. he didn't want to push the engineering too hard and consequently he almost never dnf'd- you can't win if you don't finish!

second: "add lightness." you saw how he drilled everything (even the key, according to legend)... he also figured out that his leather jacket weighed several pounds so he started racing in a windbreaker!

Trying (and failing) to upload a killer mid fifties pic of the Eyerly Special in the paddock with another Hmod (the Unicorn Special)... here's the link to the pic: http://crosleykook.blogspot.com/2008/12/speaking-of-harry-eyerly.html

9. what can you guys tell me about an almquest body on a crosley chassis. a friend has one and i am thinking about buying it
    tk

10. canadianzed

canadianzed

My Dad lilked this one so much he made a wooden copy....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

Almquist made tons of speed and custom equipment back in the day, including several styles of fiberglass bodies for Crosleys and other cars. Here's a link to a v860 powered Crosley/Almquist: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vintage_racer/sets/72157621479867034/

I'd check the vin (if there is one) to see if it was built out of a crosley sportscar (vin will start with VC) or a standard car (vin will start with either CC or CD) and how complete it is. Check the brakes (could be cable, disc or drum) too. Another clue is wheelbase- if it's 80" it's a sedan or wagon frame; if it's 85" it's a sportscar frame.

Probably the biggest question re: value would be documented race history. if you get serious about it PM me with any specific questions and I'll be glad to try to answer.

Ed Almquist is still alive and lives in Pennsylvania I think....

12. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank you kindly! It was a lot of fun to build and is a blast to drive. I am quite pleased and honored by the popularity it has received here.

He certainly did keep it straightforward and lightweight! I was really impressed by his ingenuity...his 2-lever rear wheel hand brake controls that allowed him to pull on either the left or right rear brakes independently of one another to aid in cornering. That really stood out to me, almost as much as the drilling....everything that he could possibly afford to drill: the frame, the starter, the generator, the wheels, the steering wheel, the pedals, etc :D

Great period picture too!

13. Thanks Crosleykook- Somehow this bastard hack-up I created of your cool shot will download. I too cannot load the original (cool shot!) as a thumbnail. Apologies; I may try again later.

This tiny car, as described, sounds like a very hairy lil' hot rod (thanks MrModelT)..

Eyerly special-

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  14. DJKY

DJKY

They built this car. I had no idea it was a Crosley, until I saw it in this thread. They bring it out plenty through the summer. We all hangout downtown, and the owner of the shop's son, drives it. He is around my age (24). Very cool car.

15. Thanks Beef Stew- W.L.B salt car had such sweet shape for speed.

Right-O:cool:; Eyerly Sp., Laguna Seca ( thanks to Crosleykook)-

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  16. :)- the book belongs here- now, about that HAMB alliance membership?..

TMan- thanks for Sioux City skinny.

Canadianized- thank you.. perhaps the only Crosley model/sculpt? - ol' Dad had a good eye for fine cars, these shots well belong in the Dave Lukkari thread;

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543364&highlight=dave+lukkari

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  17. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

I love this car! It sounds like a total badass...one of my Speed Week favorites.

[​IMG]

(thanks lbrunkala for the photo)

18. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

19. Oh man that's good footage & sound..

Kool blog crosleykook, gotta check it out again..

20. thehazguy

thehazguy

Shot of B/C Mis-Fit from the late fifties or early 60's. Drag strip unknown but I believe it's from the Midwest. Won an auction on Ebay of old drag pic's on Durachrome slides. Had them transferred to a CD. Check out the crude engineering.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  21. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

This is mine, been in mothballs for a couple of years, someday!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Does anyone have pics of J.R. Blooms' Crosley dragster with a buick straight 8 on nitro?

23. ...

Attached Files:

24. I can't remember where I found these photos of the woodie. Maybe on one of the "For Sale" sites. Really falls into the "cute" class.
    The drag car photo has to be from the late 50's of early 60's.

Attached Files:

25. jpm49c

jpm49c

That 1952 Crosley Surf Wagon SOLD at Barrett Jackson in Jan 2011 for $15,400. Last year he was asking i think $34,000 for it.

26. jpm49c

jpm49c

Yes! I have that picture . Now i just have to find it! john

27. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

An early shot of John Batto and his Crosley.

[​IMG]

I believe it's from an old Pennzoil ad.

28. Ramblur

Ramblur

Check it out! Dually,fifth wheel,fire truck.......CROSLEY Hook and Ladder...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I think this might have been from Bensons Animal Farm Zoo in Hudson (mass?NH?)I remember riding on one there like this back around 1958,Kids would sit with their backs to the center of the truck and the ladder would act as the seat bar to keep them in they hinged over the side when open to let kids in