Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best way to repair/use these aluminum wheels???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IRON MAIDEN, Apr 3, 2011.

1. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

The lug holes on my Vector wheels seem to be homemade into unilugs. I am running Jaguar front and rear suspension setups in my truck which uses the Chevy 5 on 4.75" lugs pattern. What's my best option here? Leave as is and run a special washel and lug? Have these welded up and redrilled for my pattern?? Any ideas or should I scrap em'?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

3. Jagman

Jagman

If the wheels are hub centric (centered on the hubs, not on the lugs) then I'd think you could use them with the proper lug nuts and washers, since the nuts only clamp the wheel to the hub, they don't locate it..

4. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If that happened on the vehicle you want to put them on they aren't hub centered. Google aluminum wheel repair and see what it would cost to repair them.

5. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

6. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

I vote SCRAP IMO Fugin ugly

7. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

yup, x2

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

X3. Those were ugly in the 70's. Unless you're totally into "The A Team", get something else.

9. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Hey c'mon guys, mebbe this is all he has to work with or perhaps he really likes vectors. I can remember a time when the stuff that is valued on this board could not even be given away.

Iron Maiden, here is my answer/opinion to your question.

1. To use them as a uni-lug, there is supposed to be a machined recess around the oval hole for the uni-lug washer. Without the recess the washer is free to move about. So, without paying for machine work the uni-lug solution is not advised.

2. Welding could be done to fill the holes and then redrill to your pattern. However you will likely have to pay someone to do all that welding. Lessee, four wheels times five holes per wheel is 20 holes. Hmmm, seems costly. I know that some stuff that I remember being worthless from not so long ago is now selling for real money on ebay, CL, et al. If these vectors are now spendy then perhaps it is worth it to you to repair them. However, if they are still dirt cheap then I suggest buying un-molested examples. Remember, your safety and life will be riding on the integrity of your wheels.

Funny thing Maiden, I have some of those wheels buried in the bushes in Lake county. If you nag me enough I might remember to look for them and discover what size and bolt pattern they are.

10. d.reese

d.reese
    BANNED

11. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

File them and take your time Center the wheels ,They dont look homemade just messed up from being loose .If you can find a unipattern rim ,Cut a card board template ,Trace it out and hand file the openings,

12. budd

budd

they dont look like uni-lugs as there is no recess for the washers, there are two kinds of uni-lugs that i know of, one has oval washers with an offset hole and i think they are true uni-lugs, i think uni-lug is a trade mark name for the oval washers, and then ones with a round washer with an offset hole, not sure what the proper name is for the round washer ones, so if i wanted to use your wheels i would have rings turned on a lathe to fit snug around the hubs and tight into the back of the wheels, then just use nuts and washers.

13. Those aren't hub centric, they are lug centric. You must have the correct style lugs with thick washers.
    it looks like they were ran with wrong lugs or thin washers. The thin washers eventually funnel shape into the hole and lug nut torque is lost. Lugs loosen and wear the hole out. Look here for some ideas about correct lugs.
    Them holes are ok with the proper nuts and washers

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66210

14. Maybe he has a van? I hear they are making a comeback:rolleyes:

15. metal man

metal man

I pity the fool that uses those ugly wheels!

Attached Files:

• mr t.jpg
      mr t.jpg
      File size:
      41.6 KB
      Views:
  16. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

You might contact Eric Vaughn (founder of Real Wheels) in Monrovia, CA about welding and redrilling and machining these. I believe Eric still has a shop. I've seen some of his work and they'll look factory fresh when he's done. There's probably a HAMBer out there who has a phone number for him.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  17. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

I was never a fan of the vectors either. I have been wanting to run the original satin finish Centerlines on my truck. But I saw a rolling chassis with these wheels on it that looked great. I started to visualize my truck in Satin Black and it just works. I got 4 of these for next to nothing so figured I could either sell them or recycle them if I didn't like them. Sitting on the truck, it just looks right. Personally, I hate Cragers yet look at how popular they are. Always hated Torque Thrust wheels, now I like em'.
    Did the General Lee look bad with these wheels? I may just try to find some others to restore.

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

[
    Did the General Lee look bad with these wheels? I may just try to find some others to restore.[/QUOTE]

Yes. ;)

19. Regardless of how you feel about the "look", those wheels are dangerous as they are now. I think welding and redrilling will cost you way more than they are worth.But , that being said, If ya gotta have them......spend away!

20. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

21. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

They are safe for mock up. I'll use them to set the truck up and find other wheels. I'll just see what I end up with. Thanks for the advice.

22. JEM

JEM

I'm not going to pick on his tastes, wasn't so long ago that a lot of what folks revere on this board was so much scrap metal. They're not 22" bling and that's good enough for me. If you're doing a early-mid-'70s period piece they're just about right.

That said, if they're worth keeping they're worth welding and drilling. My experience is that prices vary HUGELY from welder to welder; I can glue steel (and so-so on AL) with the MIG but gave up learning to do TIG because I found a guy who fabs semiconductor production equipment for a living but does side jobs very reasonably. So I take him all my AL, SS, and anything that really, really has to be pretty.

The only alternative I see is finding some steel hat-section or tapered seats, drilling the holes out big enough for the seats and pressing them in, all of which is probably more work and expense anyway.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  23. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

I see these wheels all the time on 70's and 80's trucks. They look horrible. not a fan at all. But they look sweet on my 40's rig. But, like I said.... I'm gonna just use them for mock up and stick with Centerlines as I can find them for a reasonable price.

24. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

25. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

I read somewhere that the owner of Stockton Wheels had passed and that the business was closed.

26. JEM

JEM

I think at this point if one wants work done at Stockton Wheel one's going to have to buy the company...

27. X10+ those wre fugly when they were new, Those wheels do not use tapered lug nuts. The lug nut has a shoulder that fits into the hole, that is why there is room around the lug bolt (not the upper area that was ground out) If you can find the proper lug nuts they will center the wheel as these are not centering on your hubs.

28. metal man

metal man

Well, that stinks ! I used to have them put old ford centers in new 6" rims.couldn't find anyone to sell me 16" rims so I could do it myself. They did nice work.

29. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

A long shank mag nut with washers will work. Either a large round washer, or if you can find them, an oval washer that covers the entire hole. The shank of the nut will take up the space between the stud and the wheel, giving a closer fit. Most "quality" wheels back then had the recess for the washer, but some brands didn't. Buy the right length long shank mag nuts and make sure they don't bottom out before they're tight. Because the holes are sloppy, getting the wheel to center will take some effort. You can tighten slightly, then rotate the tire/wheel, and check for roundness. Adjust (whack it) to get it spinning as round as possible, then tighten. Yes its a pita, but we used to do it back then. A better solution would be to have some hubcentric rings made, but that may run a few bucks. Saw a guy years ago who had a unique solution to hubcentric rings. He wrapped his hub with black tape until it was a snug fit on the wheel.

30. Hmmm these two statements really scare me as to what this truck will look like :eek:

:D