Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedo/Odometer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Poopbox, Apr 3, 2011.

1. 50Poopbox

50Poopbox

I need help with this. I have a stock guage cluster in my 50 Shoebox, it does not have a speedo/odometer cable in it at all. I am running a T5 trans, my question is should I look for a cable for the stock gauges and adapt to the trans or vice versa? Or is it going to be the same?
    Basically I want the odometer to work, cuz I don't have a functioning fuel gauge either so refueling is a guessing game. Not to worried about speed accuracy, even though thats just a change of the drive gear.
    Please offer up any opinion either way.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've done the guessing game for years and sometimes it can lead to unplanned exercise. Not hard to keep up with it on road trips but short trips cause you to loose track of the miles.
    A handheld GPs or most of the stick on the dash units will give you speed and distance traveled if you don't get it figured out. I use my handheld to calibrate speedometers with. Get the reading off the car's speedo, Get the exact reading with the GPS figure out the difference and the percentage of difference and then a guy can figure out what drive gear change he needs to make.

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Stock cable shoud work fine as most American cars/trucks from the 30s on took the same conection both ends. Need a bit longer ? ,try a Chevy PU late 60s for one.

4. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

The GPS is your best bet because if the speed is inaccurate the odometer will be inaccurate as well.

5. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a stock guage cluster in my 50 Shoebox, I am running a T5 trans, my question is should I look for a cable for the stock gauges . Or is it going to be the same?

The stock Ford cable fits the T5 without modification. Ron

6. 50Poopbox

50Poopbox

Thanks for the help guys.

The GPS is your best bet because if the speed is inaccurate the odometer will be inaccurate as well.
    __________________I realize the odometer would be wrong as well but as long as the mileage reads the same all the time(which it would) that would be sufficient.