Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Definitive "MILD CUSTOM" Photo Thread....

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Centurion9, Mar 31, 2011.

1. koolkemp

koolkemp

I dont consider anything thats chopped or sectioned to be mild...

2. Greezeball

Greezeball

A mild custom generally has not been chopped or sectioned. As these are both considered "radical" modifications and would put the car in the "Radical" or "Full" custom class at most indoor type shows. Some shows also used to limit the number of body mods allowed for a car competing in the "mild" or "semi" custom classes.

3. There was actually a Standard for all these Classes in ISCA and far earlier....MILD CUSTOMS were just that....NO Major Body Mods....It's not about opinions, that's why I started the thread. Someone with a Show background from the '50's through the '70's may be able to provide the Standards, though smaller Shows, Organizations, and Local Promoters will have some variation. PLEASE don't turn this into a debate....It's about being MILD. Centurion9

Knghtcadi and Gomojo55 like this.
  4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It was always my impression that Mild customs did not have frenched headlights or tail lights, I thought it was limited to nosed, decked, shaved handles. and no bodywork required grille changes. I could be wrong though...

Too Tall likes this.
  5. Rikster

Rikster

TBJ shoebox is a full or radical custom, not a mild custom. And that is not only my opinion, but according the books it is.

Pat Ganahl wrote this definition of a "Mild Custom" in his American Custom Car book.

Mild Custom
    A car that has been customized moderately (nosed, decked, frenched, lowered, etc) A "radical custom" is one that has been chopped, channeled or sectioned.

6. bigrickl74

bigrickl74

Great thread! I just spent 45min with my face 8in from the screen. Beautiful cars guys! Keep um coming:D

7. Here's Dad's car from back in the day. Nosed and decked with a custom grill he made. It was the only 4 door he ever owned and he said he'd never buy another. The reason he got this one in 59 is that it was a one owner factory fuel injected car. He made the changes himself. When it was time to sell her, he replaced the injection with a 4bb, sold the car, then turned around and sold the injection for nearly what he sold the car for. Wish he had kept the injection!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lou kriger and Rudy like this.
  8. epinut

epinut

Absolutely the best looking version of it, sweet!

9. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

i love that a lot of these are 4 doors. its funny that there arent too many full customs made out of them. im building one right now and its going to be an obvious 4 door. got to think about the kid and his car seat:) thing is i was told people arent going to talk to me if i chop it before its driving, so ill just change everything else. there will be some pics soon.

10. Like I mentioned, Dad said never again. Like driving his grandma's car.

11. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

ha ha, to each his own. i like 4 doors. get creative with what you can. my daily driver feels like im driving my grandmas car. sooner i get the 4 door on the road the better.

12. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

One more in support of the Oldsmobile crowd.

Attached Files:

Rudy likes this.
  13. fat141

fat141

Couldn't have said it better:) Thank you for starting this thread:D
    Cheers
    Rod

14. 35chevymaster

35chevymaster
    from indiana

I second that.

great thread

15. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I think it use to be 0-3 modifications was mild, 4-6 was semi, 7-up was a full custom and radical was anything chopped, channel or sectioned regardless what else was done to it. I don't have an old rule book handy though, but by the book my '60 would have been a semi-custom.

16. I'm one to talk. My 59 Plymouth Suburban wagon is a 4 door. :)

17. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

Here is mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EVL401, Pug}{maN and Rudy like this.
  18. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Rik, I am humbled by your knowledge, I also checked with the ISCA rules which I was thinking about for a definition.They classify MILD using 4-6 modifications with minor changes counting as one modification. Any way TBJ shoebox is still one of my favourites and it is only 1 hour away for me to go and look at . Larry ;)

19. Great idea for a thread, most customs back in the late 50's early 60's were mild and driven daily.

20. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

That's right, it was conservative, mild, semi, full and then radical. Like I said, I didn't have a rule book in front of me

21. Greezeball

Greezeball

Ok back to the cars. John Denich's Chevy has got to be one of the best mild customs ever. I've seen it evolve through the years. I'm posting this from my phone and haven't got a picture. Who's got one handy?

22. glassguy

glassguy

this is a graet thread!!!! im gonna add my tank into the mix

Attached Files:

Lou kriger and Rudy like this.
  23. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That's nice...you don't see to many of them Customed.

24. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

What a great thread, makes me miss my 57 Chevy.

25. teddyp

teddyp

just afew more

Attached Files:

EVL401 and Rudy like this.
  26. Jay71

Jay71

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. When this thread started I immediately thought of Johns' car. One of my favorites. Dont have any pics though.

27. MERC 55

MERC 55

55 merc

Attached Files:

Rudy and hans mercman like this.
  28. My father's daily driver in the late '50s was a "MILD CUSTOM" '55 Plymouth Belvedere More-Door:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    Rudy likes this.
  29. Lucky444

Lucky444

Here's my buddy Rod's 52 Chevy, mild not wild. Nosed, decked, stock taillight assemblies mounted down low, Ponti belt line trim, as well as a bunch of other subtle mods. No that pic of the interior is not switched, that Impala wheel is on the right side. Chev's in Australia.

Started life out as a 4 door, now only has 2.

Attached Files:

Rudy likes this.
  30. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

I dig your car since the first time i saw it ... on some Paso pics if i remeber right :) ! I dig the scallops paint sheme, and i dig the side trim ! is that an Oldsmobile unit mounted to look like a bigger 55 poncho trim ? If it's the case, that's what i like in your trim... except the fact that it looks good ! :D

ps : forgot to mention that your front end is just perfect ! :D