Register now to get rid of these ads!

The 58 Chevy Del-pala update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58 Delpala, Oct 1, 2009.

1. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Do YOU really care what other negative people say about your build...??? It's yours, do it the way you see fit...

You can't be spending every day on the golf course...and let's see an update...please...???

R-

2. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep building and posting looks good.

3. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

thought this thread had went into internet oblivion.

I have been doing alittle progress so here is a quick rundown.
    1) started redoing the interior myself
    2) painted the fender skirts
    3) finally go back to doing the driverside rear quarterpanel.
    4) bought my rims.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

Have you thought about using the shorter Impala windshield so you could give it a sneaky chop :D:D:D

5. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

subscribing to this build! Cool idea. good luck

6. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Been a while since i updated this thread so here is where I am at now.

Today I did a last coat of filler primer on the Driver side. I have been blocking it basically daily for about 5 hours a day for the last 10 days or more and I am very happy with where it is at now. Tomorrow I will turn the car around, install the fender, and start blocking that side out till its as good as this side. The good thing is that side was not a bad as this side so should only take me about a week. I am picking up a Radiator and gastank next weekend so it should be assembled and ready for paint very soon. Hopefully I dont run out of funds before I get to that point.
    [​IMG]

7. I Drag

I Drag

Just found this thread today, think I'll keep an eye on ya too.

FWIW, I'm removing some of my Biscayne side trim since it's all smashed, and that's cheaper and easier and will look nicer than replacing it. To each his own, right?

Also, 95% of people will call any '58 fullsize an Impala, they just don't know any better. Get used to this.

8. _ogre

_ogre
    from Motown

freaking sexy car :D

if i could, i'd own every vehicle chevy made in 58.
    i think your trunk is bigger than my truck bed...

9. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

10. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Way cool !!
    Good luck, and keep us in pics....can't wait to see it fiished.....

11. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

likeing what i see here ,58's are a beautiful car,yours will be sweet.keep us posted

12. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Thanks for the props guys. Its been a SLOW process being on a VERY VERY small budget. I can only do what I can when I have the money. I think I can get some sidework this year and actually get it painted, but the interior and other little things might have to wait till the winter or next Tax time. I will keep it updated more often now.

13. Toner283

Toner283

You're far from the only one on a budget. I would guess that probably 80-90% of us on here have a budget to deal with. Stuff like food & a mortgage comes first.

The car is looking great, I love the X frame Chev's. Are you going to run wide whites on the wires?

14. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

wow a Del ray turning into an Impala, you could have called it X-Ray! Looking good though, isn't blocking fun?

15. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Yea I know I am not the only one on a budget. Not counting buying the car, in the last 3 years I have spent about 3K total. This year will be the biggest for expenses because of the paint and misc supplies like gas tank and radiator.

Probably not gonna run wide's but if I can find some 1 -1.5 inchers then thats what I would ideally like to have. Otherwise it will be pinners.

16. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

I think it's cool because you're going for something DIFFERENT! and, in the end, you'll be glad you did! Good Luck! Keep us all posted on your progress!

17. impala4speed

impala4speed

I am really liking what you're doing with your car. I think it's going to look great. Doing it the way YOU want it, isn't this what it's all about? Keep up the great work and keep the pictures coming!

18. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

So I went to a swap meet 2 weeks ago and bought myself a new gas tank, mounting straps, sender, and a new alluminum radiator. Spent way too much money but its stuff I need to finish it. Well I also got a hood delivered from a friend in Cali. It arrived Saturday, the day of the tornados, and I was at the Greyhound station with 50MPH winds and rain so hard it actually hurt to walk in it. So Sunday I had to do some repairs to the hood.

I forgot to get before pics but here is the section I cut out of the old hood I had that was super rusted around the front
    [​IMG]

Here is the new hood repaired and ready for grinding
    [​IMG]

Then today I decided to get the Inner fenders stripped and primered, but I forgot I ran out of primer a while ago. Well heres the pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once I realized I didnt have any more primer I decided to get the hood ready as well.
    Welded up trim holes
    [​IMG]

Repaired area ground and ready
    [​IMG]

Trim holes and a few small rust spots ground down and ready
    [​IMG]

The sad news is my dog needs to go in for a tumor removal this friday and thats $600. That was the money I was gonna use to buy more primer and some of the paint I will need to continue. So for now I will hustle up a few bucks for primer and just finish primering and preassembly. Hopefully in a few weeks I will be able to blow it all appart and start painting. Man I hate when stuff dont fall in line with plans.

19. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Paint was flying today. Ok so not a lot of paint but paint none the less. Decided to do the inner fenders the same as the top and accents to try to make it look better then body color or black and the white idea was just not sitting right with me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So thats Pagan gold over a silver base and .008 flake. thats a better sneak peek at what the roof and stuff will look like with the 58 chevy Sierra Gold. Hopefully more to come soon.

20. gonmad

gonmad

Ooohhh.....that's purty!!!!

21. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

man...you are one hard-working sumbisch....I like what you're doing there. Original ideas are what this hobby is about. Don't worry about nay-sayers, they're always free with the suggestions that you spend more of your money on mods THEY want.

22. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

like the color,do'in a fine job

23. _ogre

_ogre
    from Motown

i like the color

there's more metal in your inner fenders than most new cars...

24. nvr2lo

nvr2lo

I'm digging your build. I love that color. Keep it up:cool:

25. mrbuck

mrbuck
    from nor cal

bringin back the dead.
    I know this thread is OLD but any updates?

26. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

27. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

yea sorry for the lack of updates. the bodywork is 90% done. I have put this one on hold for the last 18 months because the motor in my 50 needed rebuilt and i had some other issues to deal with. Once I get the motor back in my 50 and get it sold then I will push to finish this one.

I will update this thread once work begins again.