Register now to get rid of these ads!

American Shifter Co

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by last g-man, Apr 2, 2011.

1. last g-man

last g-man

.....just got an e-mailer announcing the launch of American Shifter Company and their new "dual-action" shifters. Anybody got info/input? Heard rumors that displaced Gennie folks are involved.

Thnx, E

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just talked to thier online customer rep. The shifters are made in China. I told them to change the name of the company and don't ever send me anything again.

Fuck them. -Abone.

5. http://www.americanshifter.com/

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'm not defending American shifter but as you demean them, by calling them names such as ripoff artists etc. Just a reminder that the owner of LoKar started out at Gennie Shifter!

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That may be true but they make a better product line and so far it's all made in the US.

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

You know, I wouldn't care so much except they call their company AMERICAN shifter co... wtf... Oh the irony! It reminds me of when I see all the American Flag emblazoned T shirts/posters/stickers/pins/collectible plates/whatever that people buy and most of that stuff is stamped out over in the big C too... shame.

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I'm not talking about produce quality, or where it's made. When Skip started Lokar some of his designs sure looked like they had been done before. It's a copy cat world.

10. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Yeah Hoffmans been playing that game for awhile now!

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

EXACTLY!!!! Nothing like rising to fame on the back of an original. I'm still hoping that Gennie will find it's way back, only this time with a management team and financial backing that will give it a permanent spot in the market place.

Frank

12. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

I thought Skip was just a hot rodder that had a better idea....the story I heard was he presented said idea to Mr Gennie (his name eludes me at the moment) and was promptly told to pound sand.....then came Lokar.

13. Not True! Skip and Debbie Walls NEVER worked for Gennie. Gennie was a very small company in West Covina CA. They made a great product and the guy ran it out of his garage. The Walls and Lokar are from TN. The shifters are similar in stick appearance, but that is about it. The push button lock out is very different than the gated pattern of the Gennie.
    It's funny but the first time I heard those rumors were right after Gennie got sold to the Colorado people.

14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Been around a long time but if I'm wrong my I apologize, we'll see????

15. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Skip and Lokar moved to Tennessee from LA about 1993.

16. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Does anyone have any contacts for Gennie Shifter. I might be interested in the company.

17. I love these post.

18. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i'm interested in some company too, but she better be blonde.

19. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I got an email from them over the weekend as well. Not 100% impressed.
    Interesting for me is I know the company that makes 90% of those gear knobs.

Unless you like dark haired Asians as I have met the manufacturers Sales Rep.

20. EyeballJohn

EyeballJohn

Hey Finksters, Here are just a few of the shifter knobs I make, made in America in my garage/shop by an American.

[​IMG]

21. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Gennie Shifter was started in West Covina by Bill Phipps, I believe he was a school teacher, and did this on the side. I believe LoKar started in Walnut, a few miles away. don't know if Skip ever worked for Bill. I think Bill sold the company when he retired.