Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 51 Shoebox build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Finnrodder, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

And this is the bracket for the 50" plasma screen,which i am going to install to that place that back seat should go.I got this great idea from Pimp my ride...

[​IMG]

Nah,just kidding.Its the first part for the gas tanks subframe,took it off from the trunk to get it welded from the back side too.I had again few bad threads on the frame.So i converted all of them from 3/8 to 7/16.

[​IMG]

I've started thinking about notching the frame.There is not much room between the frame and body and i dont want to get the whole car any higher.
    At the moment bagging it doesnt feel right thing to do,but notching yes.
    I guess i'll finish the passengers side rear floor pan,before i start cutting more of the trunk floor pans.

2. big creep

big creep

nice!!!

3. whisky runner

whisky runner

finn its looking good i really like the tank set-up....i have not done anything to my shoebox but getting the engine and trans combo ready..i think i have changed my mind and am taking it off the S-10 frame and putting together a straight axle set-up for it..will no longer be building a street rod but a gasser to play with at the old time gasser meets...anyone need a S10 frame for their shoebox ha ha ha ...i have been putting to much time into my old bus getting it ready for the road again so the shoebox gets further back in the shop till its painted...

link to old bus for any interested in old buses ha ha ha

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa84/rcplumley/bus paint job/

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa84/rcplumley/46 WHITE BUS CONVERSION/

4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks guys!
    That bus looks like a cool,never seen a one in here.I guess the shipping could be near 10k,so its not a big surpise we dont have them in here.
    Only bus part that is in my possession is a vintage steering wheel from the 40's or 50's bus and its bolted on my beadroller:D

5. Aushotrods

Aushotrods

good work dude! finally found someone with a low car using the jamco brake kit! good quality stuff, but fuck unless your car is stock height its spastic! why anyone would want the booster hanging 3-4 inches under the rail has me beat. cutting up my floor tomorrow to make it work (owes me too much by the time it got here :( )
    keep the good work up!

6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!
    I check your photos on your website,damn that shoebox of yours is low.I think you should fab somekind of protection plate around the booster.I guess it could save you from headache,if you hit a bump or something.
    I've thinking doing that myself too,but thats going to happend when the body is off from the frame.Now,back to the garage.

7. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

Some really great work your doing! Ive looked through this whole thread and got some good info. Im tackling the same project as we speak(floors and rockers). My box is a fordor, but has the same issues. I hope mine turns out half as good as yours!

8. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Looking great man.

9. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!
    Have you checked my beadroller die thread yet?

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=566973

I guess that may help you with the floorpan fabricating,if you have a 51'.Good luck with your project!

Thanks man!
    I appreciate your words.

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Here's a floor update.
    I replaced another floorbrace again.Old one wasnt actually bad,but it looked like it would be a bad after next 5 yrs,so i decided to get new one:

[​IMG]

Only drivers side front brace was worth of saving..
    Here is the final patch for the floor,so the floor job is finally over:

[​IMG]

Here is the view of the floor how it look like finished.
    Well,i guess its ok.I have welded patches to the floors and made tranny tunnels but i think this one was the first really big floorjob.

[​IMG]

I have to give some finishing touch from the under side of the floor ofcourse,but that'll happens when the body is off the frame...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  11. farmer12

farmer12

Looking good from where I'm sitting! Nice job.

12. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!

13. THEKID49

THEKID49

Really nice work.

14. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Just read this entire thread--pretty cool looking at all the locations posting to it---Sweden, U.S., Australia, etc. Seems to me the HAMB is doing a better job of international relations than the U.N. Way cool shoebox, BTW.

15. whisky runner

whisky runner

great work really coming along good .. its good to know that not everyone is as lazy as i am...:)

16. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Your floor looks great

17. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

A GREAT thread and very informative!! Keep up good work!

18. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks for all your comments!
    I guess i need to get few laser or water cut pieces for the next phase,i hope it wont take long.
    Well,i have to mess a with my bike too,so i guess its good way to spend time while waiting the pieces..

19. Floor looks great. I'll be damn happy when I get mine to that stage. Seems like a long way off.

20. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man,

Yeah,it can take some time to get them done and at some point it may be really boring.But it has to be done,before you do the "interesting" stuff.I guess its one of the cheapest works in project,specially when fabricating your own pans.
    I figured out that i've spend a LOT more money for my daily driver than shoebox at this year.Something is really wrong in that pic....
    Well,i guess it'll be otherwise before the next fall:D

21. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

Really nice job! Im in the process of doing a whole floor and all new rockers on my 50 fordor box. Its hard to not get overwhelmed. Its even harder to find a good starting point when everything is crap haha. I decided to start at the front, and fix the lower cowl area like you did, and the bottom of the A pillars and then put the inner rockers in. Yours is turning out really nice, and i picked up quite a few tips from your thread! keep up the good work

22. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks and good to hear that you got some tips from this thread.I think the lower cowl area is good point to start,then rockers and finally the floor pans.
    Is it right way to do it,dont know but that was my way to do it.
    I made a cardboard templet at friday night,for a DIY notching kit.
    And at yesterday i dropped it for a friend of mine,who is a manager of a small automation company,he is a car and bike guy too and he has helped me when i've needed lasercut stuff.
    He'll order lasercut pieces often for the stuff he is working with.
    Well,i guess i'll figure out what to do while waiting those pieces...

23. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

Hey thats cool though, everybody has different ways of doing things, not that one is always better than another. Yea thats just my plan, start at the cowl and work my way back. Thats cool that you are getting your notch fabbed up, is that what you are working on now??? Are you planning on bagging it, or are you just slamming it? your 51 is going to be awesome, i cant wait to see it done!

24. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man!
    My plan is to use lowering leaf springs.I have tall lowering blocks bolted on stock leafs and there is about 5" space between frame rails and rear axle.
    I dont know much lower it will be when the car is loaded with all the interior stuff,gas tank with full of gas etc.
    And i want it to be a bit lower,so i thought it will be an issue without notching.
    I am going to work with the notch fabrication,when i got the pieces.Maybe at next week or something..Hopefully.

25. You have any progress pics for us to look at . Most of us just wait for this stuff !!! Looking good Finn ..

26. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man,

This week has just sucked in every way,so i havent made anything special for the shoebox.But i've planned something for the week end,so lets see...

27. wizkid

wizkid
    from Finland

28. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

nice....very nice. your metal work is amazing
    Grommet

29. 62ironhead

62ironhead