Register now to get rid of these ads!

1935-1936 Ford pickup tech for the masses

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm sure you could make just about anything fit. The question is, how much work is he willing to put out? Just go to Mack Products and buy the pieces you need and fab the rest.
    They have some nice stuff and it would be cheaper to ship the flat packages and assemble it there.

http://www.mackhils.com/products/

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Mackhills makes beds...and components

http://www.mackhils.com/products/

3. rcderocher

rcderocher

Does anyone have pictures to compare the large truck fenders to the pick up truck fenders?

Or does anyone have a picture of a pickup with the larger fenders on?

snowroutes likes this.
  4. 53choptop

53choptop

I don't have pictures of them side by side, but the attached pics can give you an idea of the differences. I can tell you, there is a difference in the arches and minor differences in where the running boards meet up. Everything else lines up the same. I happen to have both 1 ton and 1/2 ton fenders.

Here are a couple of examples, If I am not mistaken, Winfeild's truck uses 1 ton fenders (correct me if I am wrong guys), and the other truck are 1/2 ton.

Attached Files:

Toms Dogs likes this.
  5. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

I found a 36 Cab and Chassis with a dually rear axle. Does anyone know what the stock hauling capacity is? I would like to build a car hauler out of it. Probably wouldn't be hauling anything over 3000 lbs.

6. delneste

delneste
    from California

Hello everyone,
    Very nice post. Thank you for all that information.
    Could someone tell me if it is possible to buy 2 rear fender for a Ford 36 pickup.
    I'm looking either originals or so steel reproduction

Thank you in advance for your help

[​IMG]

Toms Dogs likes this.
  7. delneste
    No body re-pops the rear fenders in steel for the truck. Wish they did but no one currently does. You can find fiberglass replacements though. Running boards are now being re-popped by Bob Drake but at $1,000 per pair they are out of my price range. Keep an eye on EvilBay and they sometime turn up for reasonable prices. You may need to do some body work to get them "pretty" though.

Good luck

8. pvcerod

pvcerod
    from Australia

Wow! this Thread just keeps getting better with info that some of us did'nt know before....thanks & keep it coming please :cool::)

Question!...does anyone out there have Drawings / Patterns for all the Timber inside of a 35 Cab.......I have the mounting one's, but I need the inside ones.:cool::)

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

On US made 35-36 trucks there is no timber inside other than the floorboard.

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

In Fordspeak, commercial includes all less than 3/4 ton pickups/panels as well as sedan deliveries and station wagons. Truck is the Ford designation for 3/4 ton and up.

11. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Does anyone know what a stock 35-36 pickup weighs?

12. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

If your talking about a big truck 1-1/2 ton (original dual wheel axle & chassis), they will haul a lot.... the spring pack on my big truck has to be at least a foot thick, plus overloads. 3k lbs would be easy.

for example:

[​IMG]

Toms Dogs likes this.
  13. Roothawg

Roothawg

If memory serves, 2875.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  14. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Thanx Root, I figured it was under 3,000 but over 2,500. Just trying to get a general idea and figure out spring rate for coil overs and I don't have a trailer to put it on to drag it down to get it weighed.

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

I had it written down somewhere. I'll try and verify for sure. I can't remember if it was 2675 or 2875........

16. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

There's someone in Oregon (IIRC) who sells on ebay the running boards for $775 (original style) a pair...I think it was...also just recently noticed someone selling (on ebay) smooth RB's for around $445 a pair.

17. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

The large truck fenders don't have the "cutout" down low in the front for the bumper brackets to slide through.

18. bklmerc

bklmerc
    from ohio

36 panel i bought had 35 doors.At that time I didn,t know there was a difference
    on inside trim.Fixed the driver door and bought a passenger door.I now have one of each.When time permits I,ll look for and change passenger door to 35 with removable trim.Did learn that if you can see the access holes on the inside of the door you could tell one from the other.35 doors have smaller access holes and in different locations.
    Do need help on mounting radiator .Radiator Mount has two holes on each side. What is correct for truck (very front or rear hole ??)

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thee truck fenders have a larger opening as well. Won't look right IMO.

20. pvcerod

pvcerod
    from Australia

I don't know Root.....this one don't look to bad :cool::)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
    Toms Dogs likes this.
  21. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

That looks like a 36 cab, and a 36 hood except the louvers are different w/a 35 rad shell. Is that right, or are OZ trucks different, or is it big truck metal which is different, or what's the story?

I love that truck, thanks for the pics.

22. rustymetal

rustymetal

yes i would say you are right on the money.
    wonder what size tires he is runing with those air bags and big truck fenders ?

23. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

That's a great looking truck, and it is actually the reason I have been thinking hard about building my big truck and not just using it for parts. I'm with Root, tho on the big truck fenders. Those fenders look good on that truck because they have big truck wheels under them.

24. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Tires look like 235-85X16s to me, not especially large. About 32" OD.

25. pvcerod

pvcerod
    from Australia

Here's one of our stock 35 Trucks, our Cabs are a little different to yours, but the Grille & Bonnet sides are the same as your 35's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Toms Dogs likes this.
  26. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks for posting that. I have never seen one of those cabs.

27. Looks like a panel truck roof cut off. Is that a piece of stainless that hides the weld seam on the back of the cab?

28. delneste

delneste
    from California

Hello everyone,
    Can you tell me your pick-up the size of your I-Beam. 'King Pin Center" 46 'or 48'?

29. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

The biggest difference I know of between the regular pickups and the big'uns, is the "S" bent sheetmetal at the top of the attachment point of the fender and abbreviated running boards. This drops the fender and boards lower for the taller chassis. You can see what I'm talking about if you look real close at the black "big" rig.

30. pvcerod

pvcerod
    from Australia

Here's a treat Fella's.....that same Truck above was at the ASRF Nationals in Australia this Weekend......she now has a new Trailer with a nice new A Model Tourer aboard. :cool::)

[​IMG]

Toms Dogs likes this.