Register now to get rid of these ads!

Must leaf springs be parallel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by creeder, Apr 1, 2011.

1. creeder

creeder
    from Pa

I need about 1/2" to fit larger tires on my Falcon. If I use an offset 1" shackle, will it cause problems. I was going to move the front in also, but if I don't have to it would save alot of work. And if they can be unparallel, how much is too much?

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Most aren't. Gary

3. They don't have to be parallel BUT you can't just use an offset shackle in the rear without angling the front pivot or you will have massive bind in the bushing.

4. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

look under an '88-98 chevy truck, those things are like 3" closer at the back, you'll be fine with an offset shackle

5. borntowrench

borntowrench

They must run parallel. As the spring flexes, the distance between the front fixed mount and the point where the axle mounts increases slightly (the spring is getting flatter). If the springs aren't parallel the distance between the axle mounts would want to change also, creating a bind situation.

6. Ricci32

Ricci32

When we ran leaf springs in a race car the springs were always narrower in the front the whole chassis was tapered.

7. With rubber bushings, no problem.

8. 117harv

117harv

x 2.

9. The_Forgotten

The_Forgotten
    from WNY

As long as the front and rear mounts are at the same angle, you can mount them at whatever angle you need. You can't, however, just kick out the front or back since the un-changed mount would bind.

I'm using triangulated quarters on my current build (note, this picture is from the net from a '20 Chevy race car, not of my project.) Just to show you what I mean.

Attached Files:

10. storm king

storm king

Most Mopars are not parallel. There's lots of good info in the Mopar Chassis Manual, available from many sources, Mancinni, and I'm sure Amazon, that will help anyone working with leafs, and wants a performance suspension.

11. badshifter

badshifter

Better not let the OEM's know that the billion cars and trucks out there with non-parallel leafs are in a bind.

Yes, as answered you can run them non-parallel and the small offset you plan on should be more than absorbed by the bushing.

12. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

What he said!!!!

13. I went through this with my pickup.I bought a Posie's rear parallel leaf setup and it is 6 inches narrower in the front than the rear.Posie assured me this is the way it is designed.As long as you don't bind the mounts like previously stated.

14. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

No problem as long as you have rubber bushings. The axle moves sideways in corners and doesn't bind. You could elongate a hole at the front mount if you are worried about it.

15. X8, ditto, our race car springs were not parallel, my quarter elliptics are not.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He nailed it. as long as the mounts and shackles are lined up square with each other you are good to go. If you just swing the rear of the spring in 1/2 inch you will put the bushings in a bind and wear them out rather quickly along with creating other problems.

17. creeder

creeder
    from Pa

I will just move the front in also so it is correct. Thanks for all the input.