Register now to get rid of these ads!

History C cab mold........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BERNIES WELDING, Apr 1, 2011.

?
  1. YES I WANT ONE

17.7%
  2. HOW MUCH WILL IT BE

75.8%
  3. I WANT A ROLLING CHASIS

1.6%
  4. I WANT JUST THE BODY

24.2%
  5. IF THERE IS A STORY BOOK AND A NUMBERED BODY AND CHASIS I WANT ONE

4.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

Well i would like some feed back on an item i have owned for sometime. This all came together reciently in cleaning up a junk room i have that the wife calls the hoarders hole. I found a copy of the rodders journal from spring of '09. There is an article in it about a builder by the name of dan woods. Well i have a mold i bought from a friend some years ago that is a 'c cab", well it struck me suddenly that i have the original mold for "dan woods milk truck" realizing this i started doing some homework and i have spoken on the phone with the designer that did the original sketches. Ed newton is the artist that drew the design and he has given me some interesting history on what i have. Hopefully i will be able to speak to dan woods himself and get more information. I have some ideas for this which i will mention at a later date. If anyone wants any information about this feel free to contact me.ATTACHED ARE TWO PICTURES, THE FIRST ONE IS THE MOLD THAT I HAVE AND THE OTHER IS THE ORIGINAL "MILK TRUCK" THAT WAS BUILT FROM THE MOLD.

READ AND ENJOY AND FEEL FREE TO COMMENT.

2. 69fury

69fury

Don't look to be the same shape to me. Is the roof filled to creat the flat top-or do you think he radically reworked the top and the lower flairs after pulling the mold. Maybe it's not the same one...

3. To my knowledge the "Milk Truck" was fabricated from plywood and fiberglass by Dan Woods, rather than pulled from a mold like the one you have.

What you have looks more like some of the other C-Cabs built by Dan Woods and others, which is pretty damn cool also.

The mold looks more like this one (sans fenders):
    [​IMG]

http://www.tbucketplans.com/2010/12/11/the-milk-truck-mystery/

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  4. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

I have sent pictures to ed newton and dave schuten who owns the original milk truck and he has verified what i have. You are thinking about the ice truck which was built by woods and it is a totally different concept and it sits low to the ground like an indy car, infact the ice truck looks like a go kart on steroids.

5. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

The mold is the same. The body was modified by adding the the flair at the bottom to resemble a running board/ fender .

6. Yea the OPs mold looks like it would actually produce a less stylized body and one closer to a Ford body. In my eyes that would be a nicer looking body.

That is not to say that Dan didn't fab it, and I would be real interested in a body pulled from ot when that happens. At least I would like to see how it comes out.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You can verify whatever you like all day long, but the body of the truck you posted did not come out of that mold.

The roof line is wrong as is the shape of the windows. The roof and the windows of the mold are curved not flat and straight.

8. While that mold looks like it will create a killer C-cab, if you're saying it was used to pull the Milk Truck as seen in the pic on the right, it definitely was not. Having said that, the mold does look familiar - there had to have been some famous show rod built from a body made with it.

Steve

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Ummm NO.

10. Moondog13

Moondog13

Even if it isn't the Milk Truck it's still pretty damn bitchin'! Congrats on your "hoarders hole" find! :D

11. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

OK.............

EVERYONE CAN SAY WHAT THEY WANT, I HAVE SPOKEN TO DAVE SCHUTEN, ED NEWTON, AND THOM TAYLOR, AND IF ANYONE WANTS TO FIND A COPY OF THE RODDERS JOURNAL, ISSUE No.43, AND ON PAGE 133, OF THE ARTICLE WRITTEN BY THOM TAYLOR. YOU WILL ALL SEE WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

CHECK IT OUT............

12. Don't get shook, I have the rodders journal here and although I am going off of memory I believe that he actually scratch built the Milk Truck. That said he did pop a mold that he later used to make some very famous C cab trucks as I recall. I personally liked them better than the milk truck.

I would still like to get a look at a body pulled from that mold. I wouldn't care if it was one of Dan's or not. Granted being one of Dans later builds would only make it more desirable. He built some pretty neat stuff and to own something that originally came from him is pretty slick.

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You can yell all you like, all it means is that you are all wrong :D

The lines of the milk truck and the lines of that mold are quite clearly different.

The body in post #3 could have come from that mold.

14. hell I yell all the time all it means is that I'm near deeef. :D

No reason for everyone to get their panties in a bunch, just having an old mold from back in the day is still enough to give you bragging rights.

The best I got from one of the greats back in the day is a gear shift knob, and its not likely anyone would even come close to recognizing it as anything, not in a million years.

15. I had one just like that, only it wasn't a C cab and it was more round and made out of steel not fiberglass. Other than that is is identical.

16. Rod Action magazine, January, 1974
    Ice -- not Milk
    But, let's also not forget what today is.
    As stated earlier, though, still pretty damn cool.

[​IMG]

April 3, 2011 Correction: Hey, I'm not infallible and evidently Rod Action isn't either, because one glance at the "Ice Truck" below will show you that it wasn't the basis for the "Beer Truck" body in their story above. My apologies to Bernie and anybody else reading for not having recognized that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  17. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Just the curve of the roof alone.
    The milk truck has a flatter roof
    Your mold has a nice curve in the roof like the one pictured by Goober

I don't see the arguement:confused:
    ICE TRUCK, not Milk Truck - they were two different trucks.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with Goober but I have seen bodys that I am pretty sure were pulled from that mold.

I can tell you that riding in a C cab or milk truck T with no doors at speed is a bit of a thrill. A friend built one out of plywood in the early 70s and I rode in it a couple of times and then ended up with the body for a while.

19. badshifter

badshifter

They look worlds different to me. Don't I remember the Milk Truck being built in like three weeks for a show? Seems like not enough time for a mold and a finished project. Cool mold regardless.

20. Yep,
    [​IMG]

21. Mr 48,
    I actually have dimms pulled from a real Henrys C Cab here. basically they were a t cowl and wood from there back. I have thought about building myself a C Cab body. I have wanted one since the later '60s or earlier '70s when they were in Vogue.

I think built right you could build one to look pretty traditional. The only thing that I could imagine to be more scary @ 80 mph would be an old military jeep.

22. JimSibley

JimSibley

Iether way it is way cool. Im thinkin we push out a few high quality, hand laid c cabs.

23. alchemy

alchemy

I had one just like that too. Except on mine the "C" part of the cab stood for "Chevy", and the cab had real mold on it. Barnicles actually. But other than that it is identical.

24. It is so cool. I think it's much better looking than the Milk Truck style and was obviously an improvement.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

Hey goober,

this is especially for you.................

If you are so sure that i don't have the item i say i have you are more than welcome to visit me and you can do a personal touchie/feelie and take all the measurements and compare that to the car that dave schuten has and dave can be reached at galpin auto sports in california. He owns the original milk truck and he is in charge of the galpin auto sports custom department. If you go to the galpin web site the phone number is there to call shuten and talk to him yourself.

26. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

bernie i think you did a lot of reserch and these guys sound like " if it dont look the same its must not be the same,,, """ type guys so dont sweat it,,, i would like to know what you plan on doing with this mold and would like a chance to pop one out myself but i live far away,,,, you know orbitron came out of a can that didnt look anything like orbitron,,, and milners coupe dont look like anything henry ford built,,, i truly believe that car could have been from that mold,,, my names big vic i dont give a f#@^% what anybody thinks and love it when these guys get started,,, no i dont have a r@#%*^ but i have cut up a bunch of customs in my day,,, also saved a few stockers from the rust gods,,,, stubborn old men that know everything and dumb young kids that dont know much but think they remember a bunch of stuff that happened 25 years before they were born dont hold much weight round my garage,,lets hear what you have to say

27. Gee, Bernie, you solicited comments and information and I was trying to be helpful pointing out that you are mistaken that what you have is the mold for the Milk Truck, because as Pat Ganahl pointed out in his book Dan Woods "fabricated" the body. Besides, back then nobody was making a mold for a one-off show car.

I tried to be helpful and suggested it was more likely that you have a mold for the later Dan Woods C-Cab, which I also pointed out was very cool and, in my opinion, more attractive than the Milk Truck.

I'm not going to try to disprove a wrong. If I'm not mistaken, everybody who has followed this post has had a similar observation. It's not the same roof, it's not the same doorway, it's concave on the lower body where the Milk Truck is convex, it has contoured sides and the Milk Truck's are straight -- it's just not the same. Jeeze, Louise, the side body panels behind the door on the Milk Truck are almost twice as long as what your pic shows! I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I have a little knowledge in this area and am just trying to be helpful.

I think it's quite possible, and very likely that either Dave just got Milk and Ice mixed up or you misunderstood what he said.

Now, just to prove that I admire what you have I'm posting another pic which easily illustrates that the later body is much more beautiful than the one Dan put together when he was still in high school.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This all reminds me of when I was in high school and somebody dropped a lit cigarette in another kid's loose jean pocket and when I told him he had a fire starting in his clothes he responded by saying it was none of my business. Have a nice weekend and I look forward to seeing some killer bodies come out of that mold.
    John

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  28. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

Ok sports fans....................as i post this it is now 2:40 pm on 4-1-11, and this is no april fools praticle joke. About 5 min. Ago i just got off the phone with dan woods himself. He informed me the mold i have is his old mold. He will be contacting me next week concerning this and at that time i will have more information reguarding the future and the plans for what is to come.

Stay tuned to , the same "hamb" site, and the same "hamb" thread page.

Until then say and think what you want, but i have the nugget......

29. badshifter

badshifter

So, if we have a different opinion than you and the op, we are stubborn old men or dumb young kids? Didn't realize that guys with qualified, reasonable opinions which were asked for by the way, required such negative labels. I believe we heard what the op had to say. Now I have heard what you have to say. Lets just say, big vic, you're resume does not hold much weight in my garage either. No need to call you a name either, your post speaks volumes.

30. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

The whole story is as follows;

yes dan woods did create the mold i own, it was purchased by a friend in paramount, calif. His name is roadster john, and he still builds hotrods today. John bought the mold at a auction at a self storage facility. He produced a few bodies (amount unknown) and a couple of complete hotrods. When i was welding chasis for him that mold was sitting in the corner of the shop, it always intreaged me and a few yeard later i was in socal and went to visit my friend and we got in a conversation about the mold and worked a deal and i bought it from him and i have had ownership of it for about 10 yrs now and now i am in a position to do something with it and within the very near future there will be a suprise coming from me in the form of something very special.

Stay tuned...........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.