Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where Can I buy Raw steel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nutwagonfromhell, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Then is heat-treated steel okay as "cooked steel"?

Bob

2. badshifter

badshifter

He asked for it. The question was answered. How the question gets answered was not specified. No different than your chiming in on how we chimed in. Now go run your BUSINESS.

3. 5window

5window

Don't be ridiculous. A. This is the HAMB B.I think it's a legitimate question-he's opening a steel shop but doesn't know where to get steel? C. The business posters are right-if this is a real business,then he should have a business model already in place-location, feasibility study, insurance, SUPPLIERS, market research, funding and credit lined up to tide him over until customers come,the list goes on and on. It's a tough economic environment, does the area even need another fabricator/welder?

You could consider, beyond all the sarcasm, that the HAMBers here are concerned that the OP may really be way over his head and skill level and trying to save him from losing his shirt, home,family. If you did it great, not everyone has those skills.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  4. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

With the major suppliers, be sure to check several places, prices go all over hell.
    Check with some of your local scrap yards ask if they have any certified clean scrap steel . Check with some local steel fabricators in the area for cut offs or drops.
    We have a farm implement repair place near us that stocks steel and he is very reasonable.

ps: I opened my shop 15 years ago, didn't know shit about running a business, still going, you learn in a hurry, and you don't have to have that God if I only would have tried that , what would have happened ?thought in your head forever.

5. yardgoat

yardgoat

I cant help it it but ............THATS FUNNY....................YG.

6. Hey, since we're sharing sources, I want to open a drive thru gynecology office in my garage - anyone know where I can get some cheap stirrups?:D

Seriously - if you said you were starting out as a hobbyist, maybe then a question like that would get real answers. Since you're now a businessman with an internet connected business computer, why not just do your own search - or is it easier to let someone else search for you? Maybe you need to hire more staff in the procurement department . . .

Steve

7. Alex S. L.

Alex S. L.
    BANNED

This has been a rough thread, how about some levity.

I'm having trouble hitting my ass with both hands, Can anyone help with instructions?

8. borntowrench

borntowrench

Have you tried the "search" function?:D

9. Never ceases to amaze me how many people will use a computer to ask everyone where to find something while sitting right in front of the contraption that has all the answers. Want a helping hand? Use the one at the end of your own wrist. If you are smart enough to use one of these things you should be able to find your own shit. Its not that hard. :mad:

10. Abomb

Abomb

First things first, you'll need the proper equipment...get yourself a flashlight, and find it, then try.

11. badshifter

badshifter

Now that there is crazy talk! Do your own research? On your own business? Crazy talk...... ;)

12. atomickustom

atomickustom

Good advice.
    Now, I bought a big bucket of shinola from a guy off Craigslist but it smells really bad. Is it still okay to rub all over my boots??

13. 41plym

41plym

this is funny
    41plym

14. Jagman

Jagman

I understand what Isettajohn is saying, but I think it's a product of the times we live in. I'll bet you a coke that nutfromhell is a younger guy, and they have a different way of thinking than us old farts - there's a reason social networking has become the buzzword of this millenium.

Younger people turn to message boards, FaceTube and so on for the info they need, problem is there's is a lot of just wrong stuff being perpetuated out there, and they don't have the inate experience and bullshit detectors to figure out what's live and what's memorex......

I see it all the time on the other O/T car boards I'm on, someone will ask if there's a "how to" for an incredible complex repair on their car and they often don't know which end of the screwdriver to hold. I impressed by their willingness to jump right in and tackle something, but to an old fart like me, they'd be better served getting some basic hands on experience first. However, they don't seem to have the time for that.....

Everything should just be plug and play, I guess.

Anyways, to the OP, good luck with your venture. A lot of really great busineesses started in someone's garage, ask Steven Jobs about it.

15. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

This thread got hilariously ugly. In almost all the things in life I've learned that if a business "buys" something, they will sell something...i.e.: scrap yard. Or at least the one here sells "raw" steel...though when I read "raw steel" I picture those fish markets where the guys throw the fish around.:)

Also, this thread has introduced me to the most vulgar, inappropriate sounding word I've heard in a while.....FaceTube.:D

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  16. Provided you peel it first! :):)

17. I get a kick out of guys that run roughshod over someone because he uses a term that is, somewhat, odd like "raw steel". It sounds reasonable enough to me. The same people will use terms like "roll pan" or "rims", for wheels, and no one seems to mind a bit. They will, also, talk about their "axels" or fixing their "breaks" or blab on about something they "seen" the other day and nobody busts their balls.
    Lemme see, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

18. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

hell ,i thought he wanted iron ore

19. HotRod33

HotRod33

Where are you at in st louis....? Shaprio's is good and there are several steel yards on chouteau in st louis..... I go to a little steel shop 2 miles from my house in jefferson county..... woodsmith steel supply...

20. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

HotRod33 you beat me to it. I just found this thread after coming in from the shop. And read it all before posting. And shur enuff you beat me by 11 minutes.

21. No, we bust balls for ALL those faux paws:D;):rolleyes: Get it, that was an intentional mis-spell?

22. Four Paws??? You must be very swave and deboner :D;)

23. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

this is scary...............

this is so scary that i usually don't get involvedin stuff like this, but i have to comment.................

holy shit...........

this guy is running a welding shop out of his garage and he just got his first welder and he can't find any steel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he dose not even belong here...............

when he blows up and sets fire to his neighborhood i don't even want to be in the same state.................

this is ssssssssssssooooooooooooooooo scary..................

24. How raw are we talking about here? You looking for iron ore raw, or what? Yeah,Bernie...this is scarystuff for sure....:eek:

25. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I always cook my steel. Not big into raw steel.:D

Attached Files:

26. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

well............

personally the recipe i really perfer is to dig a chunk of iron ore out of the ground, throw it in a open harth furnace and inject some pure oxygen with a pinch of carbon(that is that black stuff that charcoal is from) add in a little bit of nickel, about fifteen cents worth, and a shot of silica(sand like at the beach)and add some vanadium for a bit of durability and some chrome with a pinch of molidium for strength and mix vigoriously and pour on a slab and run through some forming dies and cool slowly and then ;

BUILD THE BADEST OF THE BAD ASS HOTRODS MAN HAS EVER CREATED AND NOW YOU HAVE SOMETHING GOOD FOR A FINISHED DEAL

27. skyrodder

skyrodder

wow, rough crowd

28. trukin55

trukin55

TW Metals in Carol Stream IL sends a truck to the St. louis area twice a week.

29. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You miss a lot of the 'goings on' around here, huh? I always have a go at people over grammar and spelling and I expect to have the same taken out on me when I am in error.
    I do feel supporting this guy at this stage is probably not the right thing to do, maybe he should have done more research before going public with his intentions, or simply asking for a good supplier without disclosing these intentions.
    This action has done irreparable damage to his credibility here on the HAMB. I know I would not go to a steel fabricator that did not even know where to buy his base product!!
    It all may seem rather severe to you (However I am with you on spelling and grammar like I said before) but that decision may have cost him his future in the business.

One must seriously put some thought in before posting questions like this.

Doc.:D

30. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Poor guy hasn't been back online here since he posted that. He must be real busy in the shop.