Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Muttley

Muttley

2. Muttley

Muttley

3. Muttley

Muttley

4. Muttley

Muttley

5. Muttley

Muttley

6. Muttley

Muttley

7. Muttley

Muttley

8. Muttley

Muttley

9. Muttley

Muttley

10. Muttley

Muttley

11. Muttley

Muttley

12. Muttley

Muttley

13. Muttley

Muttley

14. Muttley

Muttley

15. Muttley

Muttley

16. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

17. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

18. WCD

WCD

Vette "panel" gives away the responsible party here-George Reece a long time funnycar match racer from the late 60's to early 70's. He ran a exhibition funny in 1969 that was comprised of a long, stretched and narrowed 66 Corvette shell that cloaked a SBC top fueler. I would say that this is the very dragster that used to help construct the car.

19. pontman

pontman

Eagle Auto rail, date/location unknown.
    Its current home is a drag museum in
    Tacoma, WA.

Attached Files:

20. pontman

pontman

random pics...WTF is with the mini bikes

Attached Files:

21. Falconred

Falconred

Do you ever notice that when you look at the photos real close you can see the flaws in these old cars that we missed back in those days. I guess they were just old race cars as some have said but they still bring joy to this old mountain boy's heart

22. storm king

storm king

They were mostly all "20 foot" (or more) cars. Especially the exhibition cars, altered's, etc.
    As a % of the whole, not many were really "clean" or perfect. Still, I prefer them to anything out there today!
    We had a guy, running a '65 Dodge S/S car sponsored by "Gene's"; it was a gorgeous car, and still is today, tell us that if he had a car that looked as bad as ours, he wouldn't bring it to the track. Our car looked fine for a race car. We beat him first round. His car still looks pretty. Our car won races. The picture on the right is how it looked the day he said that to us. Our car could move it's wheelbase forward and back, in three different locations, and we could take the Hilborn's off it and run carbs with the factory hemi scoop. You tell me, was our car a disgrace? The interior was ugly, which is why it had tinted plexi windows, but a lot of them back then were nothing to write home about.

Attached Files:

23. Falconred

Falconred

I have done a lot of "spray bomb" repairs on race cars when needed. After we quit racing and I was married (read that to say that I couldn't afford to race) I worked at a round track as a race director. I remember a similar situation where these guys brought a really nicely prepared and painted hobby car to the track and complained about the car of a regular that was pretty rough looking. Well the old rough looking car won his division that night and the good looking car wouldn't fall out of a tree. They probably had 10K in a car running for $150 first place where the older car may have had fresh paint (maybe not much body work) at the beginning of the season and a freshened engine.

Looks don't make it fast, but a fast car looks good going down or around the track.

Talking about interiors, I remember a flyer for one of the tracks in the early sixties for a run what ya' brung SuperStock race that said "Sit on your tool box if you want to".

24. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Gary,here is a pic of the "Gene's" car in '65 with the Yates colors.
    I took this pic at South Glens Falls Dragway.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  25. WCD

WCD

At the time of this picture, Vic Kings Midnight Oil X/D was powered by a Hispano Suiza engine. Later when I saw it, the Spanish based motor had been dumped and replaced with a Model B 4 banger with Gemsa OHV conversion. A very neat little car that ran high 11's.

26. jughead2

jughead2
    from tenn.

# 26063-26066 been there done that see my avatar

27. storm king

storm king

So that's where the Gene's car came from! Thanks, Bucksnort!
    WCD, that little mid engine car is cooler than heck! I like it!
    Just think what an animal you could build today with a modern banger!

28. When I got old enough to drive (1967-68) I used to go down to Champion Automotive every week and see what they were building. I saw this car a bunch along with the other stuff they were building. Hung out, never said a word to anyone, they never said a word to me. But I was so stoked just to watch those guys work.
    The Corvette/dragster was whack!

Vette "panel" gives away the responsible party here-George Reece a long time funnycar match racer from the late 60's to early 70's. He ran a exhibition funny in 1969 that was comprised of a long, stretched and narrowed 66 Corvette shell that cloaked a SBC top fueler. I would say that this is the very dragster that used to help construct the car.[/QUOTE]

29. WCD, where's you get those pics of the George's Corvette digger?

30. Here are a couple of Gene's Flintstone Charger,and Bob Steele's Flintstone Charger.Saw these and the Yates Dodge a lot back in the day.AWB/Vintage Drag Club photo is by Big Bob Snyder. Dennis Doubleday

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]