Register now to get rid of these ads!

whos running a quick change on the street ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edweird, Mar 30, 2011.

1. edweird

edweird

i would like to hear the good and bad of it, and also see some pics....thanks.

2. Skirv

Skirv

I am. I have approximately 5000 miles on this rear so far. It's a Winters V-8. The only thing some may consider a downside is the noise......but it doesn't bother me.

[​IMG]

3. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

I've been looking for push bar ideas. Sweet shot of your coupe. I have Winters V-8 in mine, with out the straight cut gears and it is silent, no noise.

4. coupemerc

coupemerc

I'm running a Halibrand champ in mine. The up sides are that it looks cool, and it's effortless to change gear sets. I've tried three different ratios so far. It is whiney with the straight cut rear gears but it doesn't bother me. Gives it some personality

[​IMG]

5. Helical cut gears are quiet but load the bearings on the cover and housing simultaneously.

Besides... the only folks that hear the noise are the ones that are behind me!;)

Attached Files:

• m5.jpg
      m5.jpg
      File size:
      137 KB
      Views:
  6. Are most QC rears "spooled" or "limited slip" "open" or what? Curious since they were raced in sprints, midgets, modifieds, and the salt etc.

7. Most are spools which is fine for racing, however there are a lot of locker variations available that will make the QC's a bit more streetable but this is where they start getting pricey.

There are guys that run spools on the street but I've found it to push the front end around corners.

8. coupemerc

coupemerc

Halibrand built a narrow posi unit for mine.

9. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Mine's an old Halibrand culver city V8 unit, whines a little bit, but not that bad. I like the sound, I've got a 3.48 gearset in it, been thinking about trying a 3.23...
    [​IMG]

10. hemifarris

hemifarris

My roadster's had an early Halibrand Culver City rear end for 15 years. Absolutely no problems with it at all. I love the way it "sings" above 35 mph..........Mike
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Have a Winters 10" heavy duty in my 32. winters track diff. Noisy but I like it. Its a Hot rod not a luxury car.

Ago

12. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I have a Halibrand in my 29 Coupe that's been on the road since 1989. I don't think the rear whines too much and I have the straight cut gears. Of course, if you ask my brother what he thinks after riding in the rumble seat for an hour at 65MPH, he'll probably tell you something different. I've never had any problems with it. I plan to put one in the next 29 Coupe I'm building.

13. badshifter

badshifter

Winters magnesium, with a locker. Clicks/bangs around corners, noisy gears and totally bitchen.

14. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

Ran this for a couple years with no issue's other than loud! It's still in the car and the new owner loves it, he replaced the spool with an open diff. for the street.

Attached Files:

15. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I've got a Halibrand Champ in my roadster . There's about 10K miles on it with no problems .

Attached Files:

16. Berky

Berky

I have a Culver City Halibrand in the 36, and so far it hasn't given me any issues. There is no interior in the car so its a bit loud.

[​IMG]

17. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I'm running one in my RPU. Converted to flange axles and it has a locker. Running it behind a Model B banger. I can drive it to the drags with the 3:48 gears in it and flip then over to 4:11 and make some passes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got over 5K on my Halibrand V8 Q/C, running a 3:78 r&p with a 4:11 final. With the top on, it's whines from 40 to about 61 mph, then gets quiet. Running topless, the wind and 12" Brockman's exhaust note blocks most of the Q/C noise. :D

[​IMG]

19. How do you "quick change" the gears?

20. OK I'm not currently running one but I have in the past.

Up side is looks if that is what you are after and gear ratio options are almost unlimited. There are posi centers as well as open available more so now than they used to be.

Down side is that the older ones won't take a lot of meat. They were not designed to get mega torque thrown at them or for big sticky tires. The new ones are cool but they are not the old ones. If being totally "Old School" is important to you don't plan on building a monster engine and getting it to hook, you will break it.

I would run one again if I had one. I am about deaf so noise doesn't bother me much. ;)

You pop the cover off the back and change the spur gears. It takes about 10 or 15 minutes unless you are really fast.

21. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Walk to the rear of the car, put your hand on the differential, and say abra kadabra, prest-o change-o :rolleyes: ;)
    Actually, you remove the rear cover, pull the "change gears" and either invert them or throw in a new set, K? :D

22. 26 roadster

26 roadster

ran one for years in my 39 Ford. Franklin Champ, my friends could hear me coming. It had a high dollar locker, my new one has an open diff out of 3/4 ton truck

Attached Files:

23. deuce354

deuce354

I got the last V-8 that halibrand made. I bought it from Barry Lobeck in 1998. This was the latest version, with 9" ford ring & pinion, slide in 9" axles, angle cut gears. I have 18K trouble free miles. Pretty quiet. I change the oil in it every season, and use synthinic gear lube

24. LowA100

LowA100

Look mom - no coilovers hanging down!!

Attached Files:

25. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last??? I bought mine (V8 center) in 2002, and as of last year were still available new.

26. badshifter

badshifter

Hmmmm, I'm suspicious of a Guy named Pro Stock who does not know about changing gears in a quick change........ ;)

27. Been running this one for 4 years. If you want to hear yourself think while driving, got two words for you. Helical gears. Eliminates 90% of the gear noise.

[​IMG]

28. Ran this V8 Halibrand for 8 years. Straight cut gears. Louder than the exhaust, but when you'r young it dosen't bother you. :D

[​IMG]

29. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Mine, very loud inside with the top up.
    [​IMG]

30. I have heard a lot of scuttle regarding helical gears loading the covers so much that they break... anybody got the straight scoop on this?