Register now to get rid of these ads!

Want new wheels to look old

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hybred355, Mar 30, 2011.

1. hybred355

hybred355
    from Ont. CAN.

I have a new set of polished alum. wheels that I would like to look old.Any ideas on how to do this? Larry

2. The quickest way I know of is to use oven cleaner containing Sodium Hydroxide, like EASY-OFF®... it will discolor aluminum and make it look old. I've used it on art projects before. Just be sure to test it for a short time to get the desired look, it can pit the aluminum bad if left on too long.

3. slepe67

slepe67

in one of the first Hot Rod Deluxe issues, Scratch took some Torque Thrusts and immersed them in ocean (salt) water for a few months. They looked like it.

4. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Buy old wheels. HA!

5. fosheezie

fosheezie
    from las vegas

oven cleaner will take the shine off for sure, but like he said try it on an inconspicious spot first.. i used it on a engine for degreasing and the aluminum valve covers ended up dull and spotty.. id say sell the wheels and buy old wheels instead of ruining good polished wheels trying to make them look old..

6. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Let a cat piss on them.

7. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

mount em up and drive the hell out of it

8. jonly

jonly

don't take care of them. .:confused:

9. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

I drove mine all winter....they look like shit

10. rustdodger

rustdodger

11. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

How things have changed:(

12. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Send them to me and I'll run them through an upstate NY winter---corrosion guaranteed.

13. yea I'm trying to make my old wheels look new. Does anyone know how to do that?

Eagle brand wheel cleaner for non coated wheels. Its an acid, soak 'em down and then hose 'em off in a little bit. Now the next trick is real hard, drive 'em let 'em get dirty and don't clean them for awhile. The will stain and look old before you know it.

14. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Dress them down with fine wet/dry and wd-40 then scotch brite them. Takes some of the new machine look off, but they will still look good.

15. oldolds

oldolds

Use some paint stripper on them. It will take the clear off and etch the wheels. There is stripper in spray cans should give an even finish.

16. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Has anyone tryed soda blasting? what sort of finish would that leave?

17. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Bead blast 'em then find the dirtiest nastist parts washer you can. Scrub the old nast crap into the wheels with a dirty scothbrite.....then they will look kind of old.

18. Sounds like a business opp here, kinda like "distressed" leather and "acid washed" jeans.

"We Make Your Parts Look Like Poopie"

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

set um up against the wall of your shop and everytime you gotta piss..have at em

20. Amen! Goes right along with that thread on how to screw up perfectly good paint. :confused:

21. badshifter

badshifter

Drive without tires on them, use them as jack stands like the wrecking yards do, run them into curbs, shoot them, put them on and use a chisel on the lug nuts to get them off, drill a different bolt pattern in them, have a car fire with them on the car, use one as a hose reel on your garage for 20 years, bang weights on and off them hundreds of times, drill them for moon discs, weld on them, paint the centers and use a drill with a sanding pad to clean the paint off of them, strip the threads in the center cap holes, use screwdrivers and prybars to install and remove tires about 30 times, have them grind into the tierod ends on a dropped spindle, have a disc brake caliper gouge them from the inside, the list is endless. How old do you want them to look?

22. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Trade em to someone with old wheels. Hell, I would have traded my grimy, been sitting in a barn, in the mud since the late 70's slots for em. Would have saved me the trouble of trying to polish em up, and you the trouble of trying to mess up yours.
    There's nothing quite as cool as a pitted OLD set of aluminum wheels, but a butchered set of new wheels is about as cool as a "patina" paint job.

23. 117harv

117harv

MAN.....thanks for the good read...laughed my ass off:D.

We want old to look good, and new to look old..to each his own.

24. I think I actually understand what the OP is saying here. He is looking for a vintage look from his new wheels. If they are coated wheels the only way to make them look vintage is to remove the coating then just let time takes its course. Nothing is instant except Big macs and the internet. And both of those are not always as instant as we would like.

Age takes time there is no way to speed up the process unless you consider meth to be a viable option and trust me if you are young you do not want to be old. its not all its cracked up to be.

25. hybred355

hybred355
    from Ont. CAN.

Thanks guys, I wanted alum. slots 15 in.chev bolt pattern 5 1/2 in. back space. 8--10 in. wide. Who has them?? Larry

26. i would figure folks want old wheels to look new, not mess up nice wheels. kinda like that guy with the real nice shoebox ford with nice gloss black...that wanted to mess it up to look aged....yikes

27. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

HaHaHaHa!!!! You said Poopie!!!! HaHa:D

28. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

hey,just run what you've got.in time they will turn (old)and not trashed.

29. Rico's Chop Shop

Rico's Chop Shop

find a issue of old skool rods in there tech haaa. I really dont understand why you would fu%$ up nice wheels.