Register now to get rid of these ads!

Master Cylinder Problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigalturk1, Mar 31, 2011.

1. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Help!
    I have Manual brakes on my 39' Ford Coupe.Twenty-two years ago I built it and I used it weekly. The Front brakes are Granada Discs. The rears are regular 10" drums (Bronco 9") with 13/16" wheel cylinders. I was running a 75' Nova master cylinder (Under the floor) that has a 1-1/8" bore. I finally deceided to change it because the pedal pressure was to hard for my wife to drive the car and, it never really stopped good enough to lock the brakes. I purchased a Monza (3/4") master cyclinder and installed it. I am runnning 1/4" brake line out of the front and rear, master cyclinder outlets. I have a 2 pound Residual valve going to a "Line - Loc" and a 1/4" line going to a T connector and two 3/16" lines splitting off to each front brake.
    For the rear brakes I have a 10 pound residual valve going to an adjustable pressure control valve going to a 1/4" line to the rear axle and splitting to 3/16" line to each rear brake cylinder... then I bleed the system.
    The Brake pedal now goes to the floor. On Jackstands, with the brakes applied, the front brakes lock and I can't turn the front tires by hand. However, with the Rear brakes applied, I can turn the rear tires if I apply some grunt. So... needless to say, I can't drive the car now.
    Sould I try switching the 1/4" lines out of the Master Cylinder to 3/16" inch or should I try a 7/8" or 15/16" or 1" master cylinder? I really don't want to run Power brakes!
    Any good ideas appreciated...Thanks.

2. i would try a 1" master. changing the lines won't make a difference.

3. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

Is your adjustable porporiting valve open all the way?

4. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

Have you checked the condition of the rear brakes? Or, adjusted the rear brakes? It is hard to bleed a M/C under the floor, could that be a problem? And do you have the large resivour on the M/C plumbed to the front brakes and the small res. going to the rear brakes? Just some thoughts, Normal Norman

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Plus 1 here . The line size doesn't make any diif,but you went WAY to small on the M/C.

6. budd

budd

if you still have your old parts could you just change your pedal ratio?

7. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Normally you can't go any smaller than a 1" master on a '39-'48 Ford without the pedal bottoming out before the master. You'll never completely bleed it, or have the full advantage of a dual master if you can't fully stroke the master. The stock '39 master had a 1 1/16" bore, so you went from one extreme to the other. The others also gave good advice-make sure the rears are correctly adjusted, and the prop valve is in (open) all the way. Line size has nothing to do with it, although 1/4" is not necessary or needed, as brake fluid "shuttles" back and forth, not flows.

8. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

If all worked fine before then it would seem that changing from an 1 1/8 to a 3/4 is the problem, there is not enough fluid movement to make things work correctly, you'll need to go back to an 1 1/8 and maybe use a midland booster remotely mounted, also change the lines to 1/4 instead of 3/16 that may have been some of the problem before. 3/16 is too small for that.

9. Well your too far for me to come over and take a look at it so just better swap me for my stude. The brakes don't work on it yet either so you won't be out much. :D:D

Probably need a bigger bore master although the monza should have been a drum disc setup. Did you bench bleed the master? Are your rear brakes adjusted up or are the shoes really worn?

10. ECIGUY

ECIGUY

The Granada calipers are the same piston diameter as a Mustang II, 2-19/32 in. 79-81 Mustangs ran a 7/8 bore m/cyl. unboosted. If you are in the 5 to 5-1/2 pedal ratio range you would be fine at that bore size with 3 to 3-1/2 inches of pedal travel. The 7/8 inch bore master will give you 30% more line pressure than the 1 inch, but 30% more travel. The 15/16 would be a good compromise if you don't like the travel, but the 7/8 would be your best bet.

11. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Thanks for your opinions....

>Yes, I did bench bleed the Master Cylinder
    >Yes, I did bleed the system properly
    >Yes, The F&R m/c reservoirs are the same capacity (75' Chevy Monza m/c)
    >Yes, The Rear brakes are adjusted correctly and hardly worn (Originals since assembled).
    >Yes, The Proportioning valve is all the way open
    >Yes, I may buy a 15/16" m/c... what application should I use?
    >No, I don't really want a Booster, besides all my plumbing is around the Master cyl. (No room).
    >No, I cut the pedal is a little shorter when I built the car...which does give me a different pedal ratio.
    >>>>>Does anyone want to sell me a stock 39' brake pedal?<<<<<

12. You are running out of master cylinder piston volume.
    Go to a bigger bore and use power brakes for your wife.
    A longer pedal ratio with a larger bore master cylinder may work if
    you don't want to use a booster.