Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Wanted!!! 1964/65 Ford Falcon A/FX Pics!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FAST EDDIE'S HOT ROD SHOP, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Falconred

Falconred

The two '64s were for Dick Brannon and Phil Bonner. According to Brannon his was built and Bonner had started his and those at Ford racing decided they needed to help it along. The only official '65 that I know of was Bonner's built by HM. I guess the Dave Lyle car was sort of official as it was built by a Ford employee with a Ford one-of-one body.

Anyone with more information, please chime in as I am always interested in Falcon racing history.

2. This is correct. By the way both of Bonner's Falcons were bought by him as complete new cars. He actually drove them off the lot of the dealer where they were purchased and turned them into race cars. He started building the '64 prior to Ford getting involved. It was then sent to DST to be finished. The '65 car went directly to Holman Moody to be built.

3. Do you have any more info about this photo? When it was taken and where would be helpful...

4. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

I can't really speak of the DST Falcons but I do have some info on the three 65's FX cars that were built in the Oakville Ontario Ford factory. One thing very interesting is the list of factory part numbers for these special factory-built FX cars.

* Rankin Ford's Wild Child (which I own)
    * Don Haver's Mr. 289
    * Wood Larkin's Gold Digger

I have never been able to determine what ever happened to the Don Haver's and Wood Larkin cars. As best I can determine they have been lost to time. Does anyone know anything about these two car?

Regards,
    Joe

Attached Files:

5. Hello Joe,

We met at Ev Rowse's shop years ago the first time you brought the Wild Child back....I talk with Donny Havers quiet often and Donny "Mr. 289" comes to our Aunual E.L.T.A. Drag Party every year.......I always loved that yellow B/FX Falcon. Donny, Doug Nash and Ev were all hard to beat in the day........thanks for the memories.

Attached Files:

6. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

Do you know what happened to those other two cars? I would sure like to know what ever happened to them.

When you see Don, can you ask him?

I don't remember seeing Fast Elvis at Ev's shop. That was in 2004. Who are you? Send me a PM.

Thanks,
    Joe

7. Not important Joe if you can't remember......just a friend of Ev's and I'll ask Donny next time we get together what happened to the Yellow B/FX Falcon.....I know like Ev, they all moved to different Ford cars...Ev to a Torino and Donny to Galaxy's.

8. tatman43

tatman43
    from Wisconsin

Thanks...I seen those pics from Crites site but they don't give me enough view to get a handle on dimensions and stuff so I can reproduce a set for myself without having to spend 280 bucks on some 2x3 steel that I already have in the garage

9. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

These pics are of Tony Martino and his AFX Falcon. He is one lucky dude to have survived this crash.

Joe

Attached Files:

10. Muttley

Muttley

11. co_sniper

co_sniper
    from ohio

12. Dave Lyall

Dave Lyall

Dave Lyall: Although I built my '65 Falcon myself, many of the parts, pieces and technology were provided by DST and Ford Special Vehicles. As I was a Ford Employee at the time, Charlie Gray wanted to avoid any conflict of interest which could have been instigated by Ford Personnel or another employee. Therefore, although I received no official help on the record, I did receive a lot of unofficial help, from Ford Special vehicles, Paul Harvey (My mentor and 2nd father), Bob Ford, and DST, help which cannot be overstated and without which I could not have done the car. In addition, Charlie Gray sanctioned the car as "official" to NHRA, allowing me to compete in NHRA AFX events. Although I received many subassemblies, parts and components from DST, my Falcon differed from the other DST cars in that I used the Bill Stroppe technology in modifying the front suspension and engine mounts, so the suspension and engine compartment of my Falcon originally looked like the Stroppe-Built Comets. Today Brent Hyjak has the car, although it is not period-correct, having been converted to a match race car by subsequent owners. Dave Lyall<O:p</O:p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

13. Well Joe....I spoke with Don (Mr. 289) today and he filled me in alittle on what happened to his yellow B/fx Falcon....I guess around the late 60's when the Ford Dealership and Ford Canada were through with racing it, they signed the owership over to Don.....Don then traded the 271 hp 289 out of it in order to buy a blown hemi for another project that never got off the gound. In order to sale the Falcon, he had to have a runing car so he actually installed a 396 chevy into it...lol.
    Don said he got a call from someone in Montreal about the late 70's that said they had it and wanted more info on the car. He said it was his car in the picture's sent to him because he recongized the body work...which was actually done by "Barry Poole" (World NHRA Champ S.S. early 70's) back in the mid 60's.

Attached Files:

14. 65 T-BOLT

65 T-BOLT

Jody, no I do not have any info! you can try and contacting the name attached to the picture. He is in Silver Spring, MD

15. dragway classic

dragway classic
    from U.P.

R.F.Bissell took some great photos from the east coast tracks.I read recently that his entire collection was destroyed.Some say he lives in Alaska,others say he passed.That photo sold on ebay to a Ford dealership owner.

16. 65COMET

65COMET

WOW,GREAT picture!!!! Must have been a sticky track and the usual"beach' weather!!! ROY.

17. Falconred

Falconred

Dave thanks for all the info you have posted. I am keeping copies of your posts and related posts to refer to later. Those who were around in the days of the FX and such really appreciate hearing from the drivers and crews of that era. Do you ever come out to the Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green, KY? You would enjoy the Old Drag Racers Reunion held each year in Panama City, FL. Bonner, Platt and Brannon usually show up at Panama City and the BS gets pretty deep.

18. Dave Lyall

Dave Lyall

Falconred:

I traveled to several of the older nostalgia meets with Phil Bponner and Ronny Sox, but have not been to any lately. I would consider going to some if I knew about them well enough in advance, as I still have my insurance business to work around. [email protected]

Dave Lyall

19. Falconred

Falconred

I'll get you on the mailing list for the Old Drag Racers Reunion.

From the FE Forum: The information flyer for the 11th Annual OLD DRAG RACERS REUNION is now ready for mailing. This flyer contains the schedule of EVENTS planned for
    this year, Sept. 23 and Sept. 24, 2011.
    On the agenda for the Friday night "LEGENDS OF DRAG RACING DINNER CEREMONY" is a part of the program of special interest to some of the FE FORUM members.... The Special Recognition of 5 members of the OLD DRAG RACERS REUNION who are now deceased: 1)Harvey Collins; 2)Wayne Jeffers; 3)Sam McQuagg; 4)Billy "Gopher" Nelson; 5)J.C. "Golden Rod" Sizemore. These presentations will be done by close friends of the deceased.

Later Friday evening, the "Night Owl" round table conducted by Rick Kirk with some of the "icons" of drag racing.

Saturday, a car show featuring 120 old race cars, including several 64 T-Bolts, several 63 1/2 light weights and more....and later the Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony....

Any member of the FE FORUM who would like a copy of this flyer can email me their mailing address and I will be glad to either email or mail you a copy.
    SOL...... email [email protected]

The dates for the Hot Rod Reunion are June 16-18, 2011, at Beech Bend Raceway, Bowling Green, Kentucky.

20. Falconred

Falconred

Dave, I saw and talked with Hubert Platt at the NMRA/NMCA show this weekend at Commerce, GA. He was there with the old car and was selling photos and t-shirts.

Did you get the e-mails from Sol Stewart about the Old Drag Racers Reunion.

21. dragway classic

dragway classic
    from U.P.

falconRed,was Hubert there with the falcon,if so I am amazed because I saw a show that interviewed the younger gentleman who found car and he was not talking good about Hubert and his find.Don't know details but was curious to see if they worked it out,thanks,larry

22. Falconred

Falconred

Hubert was there with a table set up beside the old car so I guess things have been worked out. He said that he would be in Panama City for the ODDR. I would love to have that car or the Strip Teaser.

23. Race Artist

Race Artist

The early July York, PA Musclecar Madness show and the Sunday Beaver Springs, PA nostalgia meet are two great events. The Race at the Beaver really is the best Nostalgia S/S-F/X meet going as far as I'm concerned. If your main interest is the S/S-F/X racing of the 1960's this is the meet you need to attend. The race on Sunday is a race, not a parade of vintage cars.
    http://www.yorknostalgia.com/about.html

http://www.beaversprings.com/2011 schedule/2011_tentative_schedule___mike_m.htm

Joel

24. Here's one.. The Flying Falcon pic from Warner Robins Dragway Georgia circa 1965. Harold Pasley

[​IMG]

25. And another.. Daddy Warbucks from Warner Robins Dragway Georgia circa 1965 Phil Bonner/Frank Vego Ford out of Atlanta Georgia

[​IMG]

26. Falconred

Falconred

I that Hubert Platts old car???

27. Correct me if I'm wrong but is this a 4 dr Falcon Wagon A/FX?

[​IMG]

28. I believe you are right. And further investigation reveals the pic to be taken somewhere between late 65 and early 68. I cannot tell for sure as these were taken by my Dad (R.I.P.) back then.
    Scot

29. havi

havi

This thread and the Comet & Tbolt threads never cease to amaze!

30. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Not really an A/FX,I guess,or is it? Never saw it before.But thought it was cool.

[​IMG]