Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pontiac roadster ute build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toddc, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Sweet. It turned out awesome, Todd...

2. koolkemp

koolkemp

Congrats on getting it on the road & certified :D I am green with envy !!

3. nummie

nummie

I figured as much, just not something ive seen on a hot rod. they dont require them here (as far as I know). congrats on getting her road legal!!

4. Damn... that's green!

And very cool!

Sam

5. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

those grilles will top it off,very nice...burn rubber!

6. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Todd, Congrats on the completion of your ute. It came out very neat and good looking. Will you be making a removeable top ?

7. greaserzombie

greaserzombie

Once again - well done! I have read that the amber blinker thing is a hard regulation down unda. Apparently, even classic cars that are imported in have to have them, even if they aren't oem. I remember seeing something about a hemi superbee having red/amber taillights custom cast to get rego.

8. LabRat

LabRat

Stellar work man ! Just a small thing , pull the headrests off the seats an see what it looks like ...

9. Todd you are a true craftsman! Very nice indeed, thanks for posting all the great pictures, now it time for you to enjoy your Ute!

10. toddc

toddc

It definitely looks better without them. But they were an engineering requirement :( I'm going to try and fit removable type headrests so that it at least looks better at shows and such.

I took it for a spin this arvo :D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  11. toddc

toddc

My first rod run as a hot rod driver.:):):)

Considering that I had done a total of ~15Km in it the day before, it did the trip to Londonderry and back (about 140Km) with an incredible lack of hassle. It actually surprised me how well it drives. It also surprised me how dry it was in the driver's seat while it was raining. It seemed to be very well received. Was good to meet a couple of the guys from on here too [​IMG]
    I've got a few very minor mods in mind now that I've driven it. I need to re pad the seats, they are a killer [​IMG] I've already repositioned the loud pedal a bit further away so I can stretch my leg out a bit. And I think I'll cut a glove box into the dash, the complete lack of secure storage was a bit of a nuisance.

Here is a pic of it at the Real Fine Stuff show. I stole the pic off facebook, so thanks to the person who took it [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I heard a bloke saying that he used to have one exactly the same as a paddock basher. That would be one HUGE coincidence! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Just found this thread, WOW! Ya got some super talent there, and a great visionary eye as well!

Funny, a green ute with a license plate that reads Algae.

13. Mudgy

Mudgy

good melding of ideas. mate. very cool looking ute.

Were you thinking FJ ute when you built the rear?

Looks great.

I can see some Military stars in white there...

Is the padded dash a "Must" in NSW?

14. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great build . You Ute looks good.

15. toddc

toddc

Only about 50% of people can work out the number plate :D

I was thinking of a 40 Chev ute when I was planning the rear. I wanted it to look like a customised original, just smoothed and accentuated.

The padded dash was only a requirement because of the modern chassis. It was pretty easy to do once I figured out how,and the padded part doesn't (Idon't think so at least) look out of place.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  16. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I like the padded dash. Different, yet classy.

17. Kick ass, really!

18. Racrdad

Racrdad

That is pretty cool, I really like it. Good job!

19. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

20. George G

George G

Lets see it with the orginal grille in!!!

21. oldman2

oldman2

Just ran across this thread from this morning. WOW what a great job. The car is wonderful and meeting all the regulations also speaks volumns about you, as the builder. What you started with and ended up with is just amazing. Keep us updated with any changes.

22. Who couldn't love a 39 Pontiac ute? Nice, nice, nice.

23. Hey, that's sweet! I like the color too.
    Why is the steering wheel is on the wrong side?
    LOL

24. K10

K10

Great ute. Have you considered these for headlights with signals?
    http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/15610.html
    And if you did find a coupe roof, would you add it as a removable hardtop?
    And I just got used to the British guy on TV (Wheeler Dealers) calling a fender a "wing". And now you say it's a "guard"? I can't keep up! :)

25. great build dude! subscribed!

26. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lack of storage Man you got the whole bed for storage. Yes a glovebox would be handy. I am just jealous of your skills . Happy motorin.

27. toddc

toddc

I put some more shiny stuff on. Now it has chrome spider bullet caps, and the trims on the bonnet sides :D

I adjusted the padding in the driver's seat, and made it heaps easier to drive.

I took it for a drive too :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. looks good i didnt realise you had a build thread on this car, i've seen it in pics etc. but its good to see how it was built. funny thing, i was about to suggest spider caps, great minds think alike i guess:rolleyes::cool:. only one other thing i think it needs is some kind of trim, lettering etc on the door to break things up a bit. but all in all its a cool build and i wouldnt imagine it woulda been too expensive?? just a hell of alot of labour involved.

BTW i got a efi 5ltr sittin in the shed waitin for a new crank so it can go in my HX. bout 2 years ago i had 3 of 'em lying around but now i need one seems like ppl think there gold plated:mad:

29. toddc

toddc

EFI 304 Holdens are not as easy to find as they were a few years back. When I bought the wreck to build this car, V8 VNs could be had for $1200 and were easy to find. Now they are still only worth that much, or even less, but are much harder to find. I guess people like you and me are to blame for that ;)

30. Happosai

Happosai

Its not really Blue/green, but it is blooming awesome.

Hap