Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1937 Nash LaFayette lowrider

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by inthweedz, Mar 30, 2011.

1. inthweedz

inthweedz

Hi All, I;m a newbie to H.A.M.B. What a great site, its a petrol heads heaven..
    About 12 years ago,I found a 1937 Nash in a shed, it was totally stripped, including the motor, gearbox, and diff, all the parts were lying on the damp floor covered with rust.
    I had owned the common old Chevs and Fords from the 30s, but this was a different breed which appealed to me.
    So $250 later and this rusty gem was mine, with the help of my sons, we towed it home and started the 2 year rebuild.
    Many parts had to be custom made ( running boards, bonnet sides, tail lights, grill, to name a few) being a rare car, we couldnt go and buy replacement parts like chevs or fords of the same age.
    I fitted a holden (Australian GM) front end with discs, a chev 350/T350 combo, with a single 4bbl tunnel ram, driving thru to a 9" diff running HQ holden axles and tubes(gave me holden stud pattern all around, and matching factory brakes front and rear)
    It all came together and hit the road on chrome 14" American Racing wheels, I changed to 17" Eagle alloys after a few years, and now (with my kids influence) runs 14" steels with whitewalls and caps, and skirts on the rear. Crusing is what its all about, and most weekends my partner and I head out and enjoy the local scene.
    I have added a few pictures from when I found it to the present day, hope you enjoy.
    Cheers, Grant

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. skidsteer

skidsteer

That is outstanding, perfect ride height, and your son did you right -- those 14" wheels, spinner bars, and skirts really make it!!

3. sololobo

sololobo

Welcome Grant, The Nash is smashing, I have a passion for these rare birds, a treat to see your fab job on this saving of the Lafayette! You are in the right place for some great automotive sharing and caring. ~sololobo~

4. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Nice car. Theres a 37 Nash I see at local shows here but its nowhere near as nice as yours.

5. joel torres

joel torres

beautiful i have a 38 packard sitting on the back burner seeing yours they look so much alike makes me want to pull it into the garage now

6. 42 chevy

42 chevy

Welcome to the site. I love the seldom seen cars like yours, well done! I like to see what passion you guy;s overseas have for our American iron, shows your good taste.

7. tubby44

tubby44
    from Long Beach

8. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->[FONT=&quot]Nice Nash, Welcome to the Site, There are a few Nash owners on the site.
    Like you we like something different:cool:[/FONT]

Attached Files:

9. tommy v

tommy v

nice, i got a 37 coupe i can't wait to start on

10. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Lookin Reeeaaal Good !

11. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Very nice, but chrome bumpers would make it even better.

12. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Welcome to the Nash Hot Rod Club! Hope to have mine back on the road this spring...

13. silversink

silversink

I am heading out this weekend to look at a 1935 Lafayette Nash sedan that has flower vases and shades on the rear windows, jump seat and a bar. both the jump seat and bar are in the back of the bucket frount bucket seats. I don't know if this is stock but is the way the owner described the car and he says its been in the family and belonged to his Grandfather since new. Ill post pictures, I hope I can make it look half as good as yours.

14. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

Very nice, you guys did good.
    I cant believe you guys made that grille, excellent work.

15. inthweedz

inthweedz

Thanks for all your comments guys, as all you know, our toys are never quite finished, I am always looking for the body chrome/stainless trim, bonnet spears (that run from the headlights to the rear of the bonnet) and yes, saving $$$ for the chroming of the bumpers. White bumpers made it presentable when first put on the road, but it now needs shiney sparkley stuff to bring out the lowrider theme. Cheers.

16. looks good. your kids got the right idea dgettin you to ditch the mags, looks much better with the hubcaps and ww's. BTW i can so see you doing weddings in this thing:rolleyes:

17. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I was in your boat, suffered for a few years with painted bumpers on my 54 Chevy because of lack of funds, glad you're saving your bucks.

18. Moondog13

Moondog13

Beautiful Nash, simply beautiful! Welcome to the HAMB! :D

19. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

WOW.....perfect...
    And great job on rebuild....
    Enjoy..

20. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Man thats rad, I also have one not half as cool as yours

Attached Files:

21. 392_33

392_33

I got one to, got a ways to go though.

Attached Files:

22. inthweedz

inthweedz

Nice 37s "THE DUDE" and "butcherted" there is something about owning one sort of "other" type of American car.
    Thanks Grant.

23. inthweedz

inthweedz

392 33, You're a lucky guy, a coupe. This post is so cool, we can see a 2 door, a couple of 4 doors, and now your coupe body. Sweet.

24. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Very, very cool ride!! Nice work!

Mart3406
    =========================

25. Weasel

Weasel

Love these orphan makes. I came across this '37 two door in a private collection in Central CA last summer. Those art deco hood ornaments are something else....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

Hey Harry , I think she looks great , just a little too much gap between the running board and the road, Nah just playin' with yah.

27. pq55

pq55

Hi, really nice Nash, i'm working on this 38 for quite sometime.

392 33 i did'nt forgive you as soon i got some time i will ship you the tail panel.

Pat

before

[​IMG]

Last week
    [​IMG]

more pic in my album.

28. 392_33

392_33

Thanks, I did not think you forget. As you can see I am in no rush and have a ways to go.

29. LilMo 56

LilMo 56
    from Cleveland

Just starting on this one, too. Looks like we'll see quite a few cool Nash's coming out. This '37 Ambassador is getting a Cad 472 and it will be looow.
    This old ad from Europe, for a 37, gives the look of stretched and sunk down. Just where I want it.

Attached Files:

30. inthweedz

inthweedz

Hi Nigel, (OBFB HA/GR) Ha ha, yeah, but you know that all my builds scrape over the judder bars around town. To readers wondering what our connection is, Nigel was a fellow member of th "Surf City Rod and Custom Club" Gisborne, New Zealand. He now lives in Australia. Its good to see all these 37 38 Nash cars coming out of the woodwork