Register now to get rid of these ads!

Maxton

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rrbrucea, Mar 29, 2011.

1. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Who's headed to Maxton on Saturday? I'll be there again with the folks running this:

[​IMG]

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I know a couple of guys were talking about it at the shop but I really need to work on my '35 so I think I am going to stay back.

3. the-rodster

the-rodster

How fast does that thing go?

Rich

4. landspeedrich

landspeedrich

Couple boys from Chicago coming down for Sat. and Sun.Hope we have some southern heat down there?Its been crappy up here.:(

5. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

It's been 195 at Maxton, 205 at Loring. The REAL test will be when they take it to Bonneville this year. With a 1,000 hp hemi you'd think it should be fast.

6. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Looks like the 60s is the best we can hope for... it's a cool week here for whatever reason.

7. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Thats fast!!!!!!

8. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Can't wait to see how they do at Bonneville.

9. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

I will be there in my 53 Cadillac. Gary and Pam are really nice people. I met them at there first outing at Maxton last year. See you either friday or saturday. That car is beautiful.

10. dayclona?
    bruce, if pam is there i wanna see pics:D its been too long since ive seen her talked with her

oh and if your inclined you can take pics of the cars there also

11. Just a heads-up for all that may not know or have always wanted to go to Maxton. This is the last season for ECTA @ Maxton . Some high-buck security outfit has leased the airbase for training and after this season ECTA will have to go somewhere else.
    So,if your're near here ,ya better make plans ... It's a great time ,cheap admittance fee, lowkey racing.. There's some really fast vehicles that show up...
    Don't miss it...Be there!!!
    Stan

12. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Pam's going to be there... And she'll be making one or two passes in the car. :D

13. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

You know if they'll let me hang out with them they're good people! :D

14. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Were all loaded up and heading out for a weekend of LSR racing. Not sure what the Speed Gods have in store for us this weekend but were hoping to add a couple of MPH to the record. The supercharged flathead Lakester seems to be running fine but the Maxton Monster mile is not as easy as it looks.

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Any rumors about potential sites that could replace Maxon after this last meet there?

Frank

16. Phil1934

Phil1934

I went to Spence Field in Moultrie one year before they settled on Maxton. That would be my guess.

17. edweird

edweird

i'll be there sat.

18. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

That would be wrong. The powers that be in Moultrie wanted nothing to do with the ECTA after the one and only race held there. That's how they ended up at Maxton. Do not look for them to return there.

19. I've heard that they have been looking at a site on Ohio! How cool would that be for a central location?

20. bigolds

bigolds

Leaving tomorrow afternoon....we are just spectating, drinkin' and eatin'. We'll be in the DNR Racing rig....spot by for a chat!!!

21. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

That's all I'll be doing... unless Gary needs help wrenching on the car (unlikely).

22. Got my May 2011 Good Guys Gazette yesterday and saw in Land Speed Louise's column where the high buck security company plans to shut down ALL racing there, really hard nosed dudes, won't even compromise on a couple of weekends. Apparently the locals WANT the ECTA to continue racing there but need letters to be sent to the powers that be. There is a list of who to contact in Louise's column. If someone could scan it and put it on the HAMB, it would be helpful. If not, I''ll try to key it in by hand (actually one finger on each hand). Let's try to save Maxton!

23. flatoz

flatoz

photos???

come on guys!

24. edweird

edweird

i'll do what i can. i was there all day yesterday. plenty of fast cars, but the high winds cut it short.

25. edweird

edweird

A few pics from sat.

Attached Files:

26. edweird

edweird

Some more.

Attached Files:

27. jroberts

jroberts

I didn't make it until Saturday evening for the Awards Banquet. Spent all day Sunday in shut down. Some fast runs by some really cool machines.

Fill me in on the Studebaker line-up. On Sunday I only saw the yellow coupe from Ontario and the Venable coupe run. I did see the red '55 in a hotel parking lot. That is a nice looking street car and has been around North Carolina in that very configuration for a long time. I don't know who belongs to the green coupe. The two black ones are regulars on the track at Maxton.

The green '53 belongs to Freddie Hornbuckle of Lumberton, NC. He is a frequent spectator at Maxton. Most of you would really appreciate the engine -- a Stude V-8 with a really cool dual carb intake.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  28. edweird

edweird

hey joe,i met you on the road coming in as we were leaving.it wasnt much to see sat. i wish now i would have waited till sun. who won the top speed challenge ?

29. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Great to see everyone. I will load up some pictures once i get my computer straightened out. it is not cooperating right now. It is aways alot of fun. The drive was great and the Caddy performed flawless. I got 15 mpg staying at 72 mph. after I got north of Richmond people were driving insane so the caddy was driven alittle bit in anger so my mileage went to shit.

30. kyhotrod

kyhotrod
    from Kentucky

First time to Maxton, as a spectator. The PA was over a CB radio and there were two CBs with speakers, one in the spectator area at the tower and another in the pits, but couldn't hear em half the time because of someone driving by and the announcer only announced the speed for each run just one time.

Announcer announced the next vehicle up by car/bike number with no additional background info regarding the driver or vehicle, so I never knew what was coming down the track until it got underway, especially since the starting line is a mile away.

We did not have binoculars to see who was in line (my bad), so never knew when to go take a whiz.

So somewhat disappointed, especially since the wind cut things short Saturday and why it was over at 2:30pm Sunday beats me.

Maxton is a great place for this, so hope they get to have at least one meet per year there in the future.