Register now to get rid of these ads!

Making my own Roadster top need help and pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODSWE, Mar 29, 2011.

1. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

Hi all
    I,m at start of my roadster top build for my 32 Ford, the plan is to make a copy of the Rolling Bones roadster top. I have done some investigation, but need a ton of advice to pull this thru. I have never made any tops before, and did just buy an old sewing machine.:rolleyes:
    Anyone with advices would be helpfull, and I need close up photos of standard roadster tops, the seams, details around edges and so on.

I,m going to a car show next weekend, so I need to finish this during this weekend, Help:eek:

2. check out the tech week thread form last week by mr42 should give you some direction

3. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

I,ve got some photos from Mr42 and they will be usefull, but I need more from a stock top

4. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

5. AssGasket

AssGasket

Quick question: are you asking about making the fabric part only,, or the top irons as well...???

6. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

I,ve got top irons from Lebaron, that I,m going to use, but I need photos of these setup aswell, as I,m going to shorten and modifiy them

7. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

9. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

10. AssGasket

AssGasket

Get some good quality canvas and waterproof it.... You will need an industrial-grade sewing machine for best results.........

Keep shrinkage in mind.......

11. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

Any help regarding shrinkage?

12. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

I have scanned a 1997 American Rodder that Mike Bishop wrote on chopping a 28-29 roadster top. As I am no good at posting pictures or scans, I will need to email them to someone if it is OK to post.

13. I tried the canvas route - turned out to be a pretty good buck for perhaps not much of a great result. So, for material I'd check out your local boat yard - they usually have or know of some who has material that they make boat coverings for. Not winter coverings but ones that they use while out on the water. Did this in my avatar - fire retardent stuff, looks old, etc - worked out pretty well.

14. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

15. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

I have PM you with my email, would be great if you could send it

16. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Hope it made it to Sweden. Sent 3 emails, the pages are not in order.

17. AssGasket

AssGasket

Don't wear tight shorts and swim in cold water.....???

But seriously, try to pre-wash and dry the fabric in the 'wrong way' so it shrinks and gets all that out of it's system before it is cut up, stitched up, and put out in the elements....... Also, most fabric shrinks more one way that the other (there is a 'grain' there)... Think about a t-shirt when it shrinks... The chest doesn't change much, but the damn thing goes from hanging below the waist to a belly shirt if you wash it the wrong way and it's not 'pre-shrunk' fabric.....

18. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

19. fatluckys

fatluckys

I don't know if this will help you, but here are some photos of pattern making on the last top I did (which was also the first top I did). I used cheap vinyl and stretched, marked and stapled, and when I was happy with the way it looked I pulled it off had a cheap pattern to cut out my expensive Stayfast material. Easy! Right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. butch27

butch27

21. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

These pictures are great! Please post more if you have! Thanks

22. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

Anyone got any more?

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I have some pictures of my top chop. Never got it covered but the angle of the rear curtain is what I was looking for. You need to get the frame right to get the right shape.

[​IMG]

My favorite top but I think it is more than a 2" chop. The side window openings are perfect IMHO

24. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

This is were I,m at moment, Friday evening...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Man, I have a bunch of pics, but of course can't find the 1st step of stretching the patterns, which is essential!!! I'll look for more. These were on my laptop. I'll check the computer later. Good luck... looking good already. I had a blast doing this one. I have another one coming up in the near future.

Attached Files:

26. Hotrod Swede... you got the height right. What you got is looking good!!!

I also used tape before I made my patterns out of vinyl, then moved onto the canvas. Wish I went as low as you. I hated cutting the stansions and having to chrome again just for another inch. Sould have just did it.

I'm going to make sure my 34 is right on the money. Keep us posted!

27. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

As I understand you do the sides first and then the middle part, but how do you get that middle part right tension and moved over for sewing? This is harder than I thought, I need a lot of help

28. Man it is hard!

As you can see from my pics, I did it at a friends upolstry top shop. I did all the work myself, but the sewing. It was nice to bounce all my ideas of him, or ask a million questions. I now know what I'm doing. I will be sewing my next top. Although like any hot rod job, every car and project in the future will be different.

I started out by laying a center mark on the tops mechanical assembly(roof bows). My bows were also a pain in the ass as my frame was original and warped. So pulling center marks on that top was a bitch. My top leaned more to one side.
    I opted to keep all the original wood, I like that stuff! So measure everything like crazy, from every direction, like three times at least. Make your one side pattern out of tape like you did. Get it how you like it.

Then transfer it over to a piece of old vinyl or someting stretchy like your canvas. Transfer tape to vinyl, cut it out, and test it. Pin it all 1st with tacks/nails. Then cut out your center square, notch the center in it at both front and back by making a little V notch. This will help you see your center eazier.

Tug on it all, and make it look good to your eye most importantly. Them adjust with your measurements and find a happy medium. Then sow the two pieces together, and test fit again. And again, and again.

Transfer your driver pattern over to you passendger for a mock up... see how it fits over there. If it looks close, move onto the canvas, adjust, etc. Basic idea. Lots of pulling and tugging. Some nailing while testing.

As you know, it is not hard work... it is just stressful. I have said in other posts, I'm still not happy with my top. I might work on it again someday.

It is also nice to have a steamer!!! That is where it is at! Good luck, don't rush.... you'll pay for it later!

I got so excited to get my car outside, I forgot to steam one side, hahaaa. I'll return soon for a quick steam. It even looks decent without it.

29. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

Thanks for everyones help, man this is hard!
    I was near to give it up, but got thru it and now its 75% done
    Here is a pic of there I,m right now

[​IMG]

30. bct

bct

looks good ,i did my own as well.