Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roadster Project Build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rancid737, Mar 15, 2011.

1. rancid737

rancid737

Started this build under "scratch built roadster pics" thread, then decided to have a dedicated thread to the build. A little info: I found a couple of 56 plymouth savoy fenders back behind my shop, glanced at them at the right angle and thought "those would make a bitchin body". So, here's my progress so far....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. ratster

ratster

you gotta go all out 60s style to make it work. that way it wont look like a ratrod

3. rancid737

rancid737

A few more pictures of the fenders getting squared up and ready for mods.... Got a 31 model A cowl coming tomorrow, but gonna have to wait till this weekend to do any work on this thing......Will post more soon!

Attached Files:

4. rancid737

rancid737

ratster- planned on painting and fininishing it. I've got 3 gallons of a bitchin gold with heavy metallic in it. Think it was a Mack truck color from the 70's that I painted a 56 sedan delivery with.....gonna build my own frame based on model A dimensions, running 302, got an old ford straight axle setup, and a 9 in rearend

5. rancid737

rancid737

fininishing? oops

6. rancid737

rancid737

got my cowl in the other day, heres some pics of proposed placement....

Attached Files:

7. rancid737

rancid737

Got a chance to do a little work today, shaved the body lines on cowl cause the body wont have them. rounded corners to flow into body

Attached Files:

8. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

This could get interesting. I'm on board so far.
    What are you thinking for a grill?

Jeff

9. rancid737

rancid737

I have a drawing of one i wanna fabricate, but i wanna stay away from the one-piece with molded in headlights, just not my style....if I can find it I'll post it... sorry about the picture quality, using my cell phone and got to busy to show details.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  10. rancid737

rancid737

little more progress today, got the body and cowl mated to each other on the frame rack....

Attached Files:

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Looks like it may be a little short in the door area ? Just thinking since I'm not sure what you have in mind.

12. rancid737

rancid737

not gonna run doors......hop in and go!

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Hmmm. OK.....

14. fitzee

fitzee

I always enjoyed this kind of builds. Going to be watching this one

15. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

That's funny I have a friend who is fixing up a Savoy who would love to have those fenders. His are toast.

16. rancid737

rancid737

I've got some decent eyebrow patches if he needs them

17. knotheads

knotheads

looking at those fenders mounted as quarter panels,i am reminded of a sunbeam tiger.

18. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Do you have the grille?:eek:

19. rancid737

rancid737

zombrian- no grill

20. brianhouchins

brianhouchins

This is one build I am looking forward to watching. Everyday after coming home from work, I hope there are more pictures on here of this build. So PLEASE keep all of the pictures coming because I can't wait for the pictures to come.

21. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

That's ok. Nobody has one...or at least they don't have one that isn't gold plated.

I dig your build so far. Are you familiar with Plowboys builds? If not, somehow, search for the Lunar Lander and of course the Atomic Punk.

Can't wait to see more of your build.

22. rancid737

rancid737

I've been posting pictures as I make progress, just a little short on time, but you'll see pics as soon as i can. next weeks plan is to move the cowl forward 6 more inches- not a lot of leg room in there.

23. rancid737

rancid737

Its funny, just started this build, then found the hamb a week later, then in turn found plowboys builds. Not gonna try to rip him off, but him and racrdad have both been HUGE sources of inspiration.

24. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

As traditional as I am I like you guys that push the boundaries. It all started with (Big Daddy Roth). I'll be watching you! '57 or even '59 Ford taillights should fit right in.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  25. rancid737

rancid737

thats what im looking at for taillights

26. This one's gonna be off the hook! Great use of old/extra parts & pieces Rancid

27. Nice build thus far. Some great creativity being applied to metal. If there was one thing I would change it would be to make the cockpit a bit larger. I would move the portion behind where the seat would go back a little. I think this would help your proportions a little bit while adding comfort and getting your face out of the windshield. Just my two cents. Keep up the great work!

28. I've been contemplating a build similar to this for years...have finally gotten some parts that may work. I need to finish the car I'm building for my wife, then I'll get serious about my Mopar fenderless roadster-kinda deal.:D Great start, I'll be watching for updates.

29. rancid737

rancid737

Just got back from the portland swap meet. I was my first time there and it was AWESOME. The cool thing about this build is being able to look at parts and go "that would work" Instead of hunting down year/model specific stuff. Only spent 100 bucks and got some pretty nifty parts....ansen style pedal set up for 5 bucks! 63 comet speedo/guage cluster, some coil over shocks, 62? fairlane tailights, 63 comet tailights...will post pictures tomorrow when I get to work on this thing....gonna be ordering the steel for the frame as well

30. lonewolf52

lonewolf52

I agree. This could be awsome.