Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. noresore

noresore
    from Peoria, AZ

I'm not positive, but is that a 'Hook" on the left arm? If so then would probably be Allen Heath. This driver is missing a Heath trademark, the Silver Dollar glued to the front of the helmet.

2. rootbrothers spl.

rootbrothers spl.
    from indiana

Pudgedaddy My boys make reproduction Cromwell helmets. They make them custom order.

3. noresore

noresore
    from Peoria, AZ

I agree with you Rootie, this is not the Salih/Bryan car that won in 1957-1958 with Sam Hanks and Jimmy Bryan. George's car had the engine leaning over to the right with the drive line running to the left of the cockpit, which for all intents and purposed was a varitaion of the Kurtis & Watson type roadsters. Quinn Epperly took the engine the other direction and laid it over much more than George to give an even lower CoG. George Salih is in this picture and certainly had a lot of input into this car but it is not the car that Jimmy Bryan drove in 1958.

4. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Good eye! The car originally had a Distributor and a Coil on the Engine side of the firewall (You can see it in the pictures above) The coil on the Firewall is a Fake.. we will be using the newer coil under the dash to run with. The Telegraph style Kill switch is a bit of a mystery for everyone involved. No research of the car has mentioned or shown a Mag.. But yet the "Gound out" kill switch is in the picture! :eek:

We don't know the truth yet...

Thanks,

JD.

OH! And I am a huge fan of Mags. I have ran a striaght up REAL Vertex mag on my HOT ROD on the street for ten years now. Works great, cause I had an old racer "Prep" it properly... like you said. ;)

5. easter

easter

Thanks for all of the responses to the Steering Arm location question. I know Dad loved the feel of the Howell Trans. #54 Trevis car - right side steering - on both asphalt and dirt. He also loved the feel of the Howell Trans. #64 on asphalt (Dean Mast's car - previously and again the Vivian Buick Car) - left side steering. Howell kept both cars in top shape mechanically and visually. My birthday is in May - so if anyone is wondering what to get Bob this year, I'll take either one of the above cars. Thanks in advance.

6. noresore

noresore
    from Peoria, AZ

Allen Heath driving the Vel's Mercury.

7. Gentlemen, refer to Roadsters of Indy/ G. Littleton/Enoch.
    Page 179, this car was the 1960 #10 Metal-Cal for J. Bryan.
    '61 M-C #18 C. Stevenson
    '62 M-C #38 J. Boyd
    "63 Bowes #23 J. Boyd
    '64 Apache Airlines # 62 B. Cheesbourg.
    Says Salih built for Bryan for '60. weighed 1,600 lbs, & 18" shorter that '57/'58 car.
    mlight9

8. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Looks like the Kaiser #1 had an "excursion" between pics 2 & 3: just a spot of splintered fiberglass around the starter snout.
    I love owners who aren't afraid to drive their vintage iron - that's what they were made for, after all.

9. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

Josh , thanks for the explanation. I can see the coil now on the Millers in Borgeson's book on pp39 and pp42 but then turn over to pps 38 with the engine on the dyno and then on pp44 a similar engine has a magneto.
    Maybe the car you are working on was set up to take either a coil engine or a maggy engine and they just left the cut out button on the steering wheel for either eventuality.
    Another interesting thing is the mobility joint on the back of the under cowl dry sump tank, if that is what it is, it is almost exactly a Bugatti radius rod joint.
    Not surprising given the amount of things copied between these two.
    Miller being the original designer of the so called "Bugatti" aluminium blade wheel (1918 ,I think, and M. Bugatti plaigierised it in 1924 for Lyon)
    I look forward to more pictures, and like others would really appreciate it if you could sneak a few shots of the Novi during your break.
    Cheers Greg

10. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Here's another creation of mine, this is a S.C.O.R.E. 1/24 scale slot car, champ car #98 Parnelli Jones. [​IMG] Decals are Fred Cady, Body is lexan form Heller motorsports ( aka speed junkie ) , custom Chassis from Heller motorsports ( aka speed junkie ) , all decals and paint are on the inside, driver painted outside using flat paints, and by the way the roll bar is for show and the roll cage is for racing. But the car ran one heat with the roll bar before I was sent to the pits for my bolt on cage. enjoy! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

12. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I really miss working in a RESTORATION SHOP.. I spent alot of years working for ANTIQUE AUTO ( Ray and Fred Vagedes) and a short stint with Clay Cook, I remember when Friday would come and they would hand me my pay check, I would look at them and say "WOW YOUR GONNA PAY ME TO WORK HERE"? Of course what did I know I was in my late teens, and early 20's;).. Was alot of fun, and learned alot.. Killer work on the car Josh..Keep us posted.. Ryan

13. baldtireman

baldtireman

Neat,but the cage makes it look like an early 60's western penna supermodified!:D

14. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

15. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, Larrypfitz. Is this the car you were talking about? :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

16. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

That is Bob McConnell driving the Diet Pepsi car.

17. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

Very cool , my son Rodney Evans is heavy into slot car racing in Cincy Oh. He's very good and you may have heard of him.

18. lostintime

lostintime
    from minnesota

I have a friend who has an early 70's Beck Sprint Car (Cageless) small block, hilborn, i/o, quickchange with trailer and 12 or 14 wheels and tires. He is looking for $12500 or best offer.....if anyone is interested, he has owned for some years. It came out of the Speedy Bill collection years ago. Ask for Leo 763 546 5625 in Golden Valley MN

19. lostintime

lostintime
    from minnesota

Beck car scans

Attached Files:

20. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Hi Joshua,
    Are the carbs recreations by Zakira? I believe I've read that they have been reproducing carbs and a number of Miller parts from the original blueprints.
    [​IMG]

I believe Zakira brought this car to the Millers at Milwaukee Meet about seven years ago to show in static display as a 'project car'.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully we will get to see it go at Milw in July. Thanks for doing your part in getting another car on the track.
    Carl Schulz
    Indio, CA

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  21. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Carl S.

That's the same car.. The build went on Hold for 4 years at the Customers request. Now, It's back on. As you can see, a lot had been done already (Before I got there) but as we all know, Looks can be decieving... The lil trinket shit, Plumbing, brakes, final sealing and final assembly is what I'm helping with.

In No way can I take credit for this Restoration, I'm just helping. AND HONORED TO DO IT!

Thanks for the complements everyone!

Here is the latest update of where I am at on the build:

Fit rear-belly pan (Diaper) and check for clearance for Battery.

Mount the Battery in a steel plate behind the Rear-end in a Half sunken box. (We have a picture showing this on an original car)

Finish assembly of the Engine mounted Air pump, and set Check valves.

Build Battery box.

Build cool looking Battery Hold-down.

Put Holes in Battery Box.

----

Then came Re-making an Original LUNKENHEIMER CO. Hand pressure pump. We had a good original to go by so Don (Shop Machinest) made one up.. He roughed it in, then I had to "Round" the mounting stands, rings, and Base nut by hand.. Meanwhile a "Logo Stamp" was made to reproduce the LUNKENHEIMER CO. CIN. OH logo...

and.. while your at it, make two! ;)

Attached Files:

22. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Continued..

Grille shell and Radiator fit.

Check out the HCS Nose badge! BEAUTIFUL!

Radiator.

CLOSE fit!!

Hood test fit.

Header Test fit.

The Steering wheel was made from scratch in house by Jim "Longname". He is the Head guy in the shop and a GREAT guy!

Pitman arm.

Attached Files:

23. Ebert

Ebert

Josh, you ARE the MAN!!!! You are so damn talented, so humble....you make all of us on here so damn proud! Go get 'em!!!

24. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Josh, looks like jewelry. Keep em' comin'.

25. Lumpy95

Lumpy95

Very clean work Joshua, innovative idea for the battery box .
    The machined parts look very stylish truly new "old" look
    takes a seasoned machinist-fabricator to get good looks
    even when your copying.

26. larrypfitz

larrypfitz

Hi Moe#69. No -- but close. Your most recent post shows the 1958 Zink/Reese/Watson #16. I was refering to the 1959 Hopkins/Rathmann/Watson #16 shown below. The 1959 #16 is the "sister" to the 1959 WWW #5 shown in your earlier photo. A.J. built only these two roadsters for the 1959 season -- #5 won the 500, #16 finished second. Not bad! Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

27. racer5c

racer5c

Josh, how much are you paying them to let you work there?

28. larrymatt

larrymatt
    from Johnstown

Neat slot car Lee...

The body actually appears to be one of the three 1/24 sprint cars that were available in the 1960's.

I had Wendell Veach make molds of two of them... the one you are racing (made by Pactra originally?) and the one by Lancer. I had him eliminate the injectors etc for more variations.

Yeah John those 'bolt-on' cages bring back a lot of memories...

LM

29. larrymatt

larrymatt
    from Johnstown

Yep, Rod is one of the guys to beat in the Ohio Valley 1/32 plastic car series. I plan to be racing that series a bit next year, along with my normal Penn-Ohio Retro Series competition.

I think he was also doing a line of 1/24 custom built modern sprinters using the Monogram-Revell model bodies?

LM

30. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Do you still have access to those molds?