Register now to get rid of these ads!

just meet gean windfield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasjockey101, Mar 28, 2011.

1. gasjockey101

gasjockey101

i just met Gene Winfield at the winnipeg world of wheels i got a poster sined by him :) and he also spoke at a carear day thing that was going on aswhell he seams pritty interesting just woundering if anyone on hear has met him before its probibley a stupid question but just woundering[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

At the very minimum you should respect Gene Winfield enough to spell his name correctly

3. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Bad speelers uf te werlld untite!!!!

4. Giving Canadians a bad(ly spelled) name.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

5. gasjockey101

gasjockey101

crap i dident catch that when i look it over before i posted it

6. moter

moter

Well if you can make it to Austin by the weekend....you could see him again;)

7. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Gene is a great guy. A little story...

So a while back my brother and I camped out at this show in OH and woke up bright & early to explore the swap. Well we see his Caddy engine this one cat has for sale and we're seriously kickin' around the thought of purchase. Well we feel this guy walk up and start checking it out, also. I turn around...it's Gene.

Well we give the engine some breathing room, and we count our playing cards to make sure we have asking price...all the while Gene is asking the guy the same questions we did, so we at least know he's moderately interested. Well their Q & A session ends and I tell my brother I'll kinda run interference while he makes the deal.

So while I'm making small talk, my brother buys the engine. Gene kinda smiles at me and that was it. We went by his booth later and ordered his book which was still being printed...and is AWESOME btw! I have no idea if he was REALLY interested in it, but I kinda still felt bad but the engine was SOO clean and we saw it first!:eek:

8. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

GJ101,
    I think a few folks here on the HAMB have met Gene. Use the search button
    and learn. Gene rules. Slim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ironwork

ironwork
    from maine

i took a 1 day class of his the man is great

10. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

Ask him about his theory on longevity..... now THAT is a 40%er!!!

11. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Hey gasjockey101,

My buddy was walking around a car show when he noticed a booth with stuff for sale. He walked up to check it out, and there all by himself manning the booth is GENE WINFIELD! No other customers around or fellow employees, just Gene! My friend said he was just about the nicest guy you could ever meet!

12. screwball

screwball

I met him years ago in Toronto. Again no one at his booth our dollar was 40 cents less than the U.S. $ at the time and he says Im selling my stuff at the same price because I dont care to do the math. As we are talking I notice an old photo album under his chair I asked him if I can look at it. He says yeah come on in the booth grab a chair and sit awhile. The photo album was full of all his early salt flats timing tags and pics. At the time I thought of him as a customizer not a racer we talked on and off for an hour. Great guy see him every summer now at Syracuse if I cant talk we just nod smile and walk by. I will make time to stop this year as my 16 year old is coming with me this year and I would like him to meet Gene soon.

13. gasjockey101

gasjockey101

man that is almost the same storey as mine me and a couple of my buddys were walking around and we see gene buy him self selling t shirts and other thing i was kinda nice seaing some one that whell knownin the car world without sucuritey gards... and having to stand in line for ever but any ways yea me and antoher buddy bought a poster got it sined and we were shotin the sit with him for a bit about the 50'S chevy truck cab and othe things like i sayed alot of high up car celeberties you got to go past the sucrity gard or the owner of the place is talking to him for a half an hour (wgen i met chip foose ) but any ways it was cool meeting him and i wish i had ner as much talent as he does

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I had a house party last month and low and behold Gene walked in. I got to show him my custom made headboard.:D

15. dmac620

dmac620

Met him at Lead East a few years back. Great guy.

16. Hahaha dennis that's funny only you could get away with that one.
    Met him last year at the road rocket rumble. He just had a birthday said he was 84 and then jumped in the air and kicked his heels toghter.
    Had him sign my arm then I went over to motel 6 and had it put there FOR EVER

Attached Files:

17. screwball

screwball

Did he sign it. That would have been kooooool

18. You sly fox Denise! Look out if George Barris shows up though!;) Is there a thread, showing all the great decorating ideas from your house ? The few pics I've seen are spectacular.:D

19. I have ran into him a few times... Nice guy.

20. badshifter

badshifter

They do tattoos at your Motel 6?

21. Yes they do
    And that's denise spelling era sorry

22. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Dallas Autorama a couple years back Im over checking out the Winfield shop truck, and this guy starts talking to my son, I look up and Its Gene Winfield.. I couldnt miss the oppurtunity so we took a pic and I had him sign a poster for my boy wich of course we somehow managed to lose before we ever made it home...DOH! Oh well good memory anyhow !

23. bing, bang, boom??? :d

24. i met Mr Winfield a couple of times very nice guy to talk to

my friend (co-sniper ) on here traded him the stock grille from his 54 poncho for a custom one that gene had its cool to meet famous people who are still normal people

25. Gene wants you to use punctuation and spellcheck. Probably too polite to tell you, but he likes things done the right way.

26. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I took a class from him a year ago..... an amazing man in many ways !

27. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Very nice man and what a talent. I got to know him a little when he did a workshop here last year and stayed with us for the four days he was here. The stories he told from "way back when" were many and great to hear. It was great!

And he'll be back here in North Dakota this May. We're chopping a Merc this time.

28. HRod 50

HRod 50

Gene is a great guy. I've met him on numerous occasions, he's a SoCal guy and I live in Socal, so he's at a lot of shows. Most recently, about 3 weeks ago, I went to his shop as he also has a junkyard attached to it to buy some parts. He had some great prices and parts. What was even more remarkable was that at 85, he helped me carry the entire roof section of a 51 Merc, and made it look easy.
    Also, I'm sure Gene was a shit kicker back in his day, cause he had to be. A real triple threat, good looking, strong as an ox, and artistic. If you tell me he can dance, he must have been run out of Los Angeles County and forced to move to Mojave, by the husbands of all the women, he was giving a Winfield special too.. :D

Thanks again Gene, if you happen to read this thread...

Attached Files:

29. Greezeball

Greezeball

First time I met him was about 20 years ago at the KKOA Leadsled Spectacular in Holland Michigan hell of a nice guy. Met him, Bill Hines and Joe Bailon the same weekend and it wasn't even like they were special guests of the show they were just there attending like anyother vendor or participant. Chatted with all for quite while. Was very influential on me and I've been a sled head ever since. Gene was there selling his 'glass Merc bodies which were very impresive in quality and execution. I had quite a bit of 'glass experience at the time doing boats, buggies, and body kits and the amount of work in these was absoulutely monumental. He is truly a gearheads gearhead.

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He's a genuinely nice guy and it's fun to watch people react to him and watch him with people.

Miss Oregon did have his undivided attention for a moment at Portland last weekend though.
    [​IMG]
    I just hope that 20 years from now I can function on my own let alone get a smile out of a beauty queen.
    I've seen him a few times at various shows and always manage to buy something from him even if it is small and inexpensive. My wife even has a pair of earrings that I bought from him at Plesanton in 1998.