Register now to get rid of these ads!

How Hard Would it be to...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Elvis, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

What I'm thinking about is when I get to building a Model A...I want it fenderless and hoodless. But on cold, rainy days, Is there a way I could put a removable three-piece hood on. What I mean is that on nice days, I could unlatch it, fold it up, and put it in the trunk. But I really don't want cold or water getting to it on days that aren't that nice.

Thanks
    -Cody

2. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

3. They are removable. That's how they ended up hoodless to start with.

4. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

How about a tonneau cover for the engine? For just when it rains.

5. Tonneau cover,,allright! Can you say PUSS.

Good lord,,,just remove the stock one like bean suggested.

Tommy

6. Jesus! I think the traditional police are back, now the words tonneau cover is off limits. Lighten waaaay up. I think it's a good idea

7. I didn't say it was off limits,,i just think it is limp wristed.
    There,,is that better?

Tommy

8. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Why is it limp wristed?

9. Noland

Noland

I have been thinking about this too, having a hood that you could disassemble and store in your trunk but Im trying to figure out a way to keep it from looking so shitty.

10. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

If you keep it in the garage, it will stay clean.

11. vinnymac44

vinnymac44
    from W. Oregon

How about, would the trunk be big enough to hold the hood?

12. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

What I was thinking where u could take the stock hood and make an easy access latch to take the three piece hood off on sunny days and put it on when it rains and/or cold.

13. badshifter

badshifter

I'm no expert but I believe the tonneau cover suggestion was what we call sarcasm.

14. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Actually, Douchebag, I was thinking more along the lines of a snap on tonneau that would just cover the engine so rainwater wouldn't be sucked in through your air filter or short out your distributor as you're driving in the rain. I'd rather drive in the rain than stand on the side of the road with a soaked distributor trying to look as cool as you must be. The cover could be rolled up and stored anywhere in the car.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about just a hood top? I know a couple of guys who carry just the top, just in case.

16. How many snaps would it take to hold a Tonneau down at speed?

Anything flapping in the wind around a running motor/fan is sketchy.

Maybe... several snaps running along removable grill shell support rods... maybe

Why not just a water proof/better aircleaner (4x4) and a dist cover (60's vette)? You could keep those stashed and less chance of the shit hitting the fax so to speak.

17. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

is your engine afraid of the cold or something?

18. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Good question...
    I would think it would be fairly easy to make a vinyl cover to snap over the hood/sides area.....Some decent bows (or conduit) and a few snaps in the right place would work quite well IMHO...
    I used to do a little modifying on some old CJ2A Jeep tops and this worked very well. Also very compact when taken down and rolled up...
    Cheers..and good luck...

19. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Don't you guys realize that in almost everycase when it rains the engine compartment gets soaked? If your driving over 10-15 mph the water is coming right through the radiator directly into the fan and is thrown all over the engine compartment. That's why you want to have tight fitting wire ends at the plug, distributer cap and coil. shortly after it stops raining the engine heat and the air being blown by the fan will quickly dry up the whole area.

20. Right,,,,,Water gets everywhere anyway.

Like beaner said,,the original hood was able to be removed already,,,why use a replacement that is not nearly as cool.
    Use the hood when it rains and remove when you feel like it.

Douchebag,,,,,LOL,,that was a good one!

I still stand by my original comment on this one!

Tommy

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not that bad an idea for those who drive a lot of miles from home on a regular basis. Have a couple of stiffener rods in it to hold it's shape an unroll it an snap it on. It's bad enough with 120 louvers in the top of an AD truck hood when it rains.

It might be something that would seal off the engine and help keep the casual sneeky souvenir hunter from nabbing a chrome tidbit too. Enable a guy to do something to help keep those sticky little fingers that seem to like air cleaner wing nuts and other small pocket size shiny objects when you have the car parked in a motel parking lot.
    It won't stop real thieves but will help against the others.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  22. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Thanks for the responses.

23. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Make it out of leather or a hide, oil it nicely, bond in some stainless strips to give it some shape holding ability. It could be done nice enough that even the guy calling it limp wristed would like it.

24. silversink

silversink

saddle blanket and cheap hairspray, that's the way the r-t r-ders would solve it.

25. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

when i get in rain i have garbage bags that have holes for my head and arms . i also have a bag to cover my engine. as long as you keep mooving the w/shield and rad. keep you dry......

26. Fenders

Fenders

Actually they are not instantly removable, the center rod is captive at both ends front and rear...
    you might use the top two parts or a stock hood, without the center rod end hold-downs but with some kind of clips at the lower front and rear extremities of the panels. And using only the top sections it should fit easier in the trunk.

...or something like that.

27. To keep all of you happy, how about making a tonneau cover with hinged drop down sides to keep the rain out but make it out of metal rather than cloth to keep it rigid. You could then put some nice louvers down the sides to make it look pretty and have some air flow?

Just a thought.

28. -Brent-

-Brent-

This is a weird thread, fellas. I think there's a lot of over-thinking here. How about you run a one piece hood top and two leather hood straps? It's traditional, it'll keep water out of the carbs and it looks good to boot.

1 PC Hood Top.jpg

29. so you want to make het hood a 3 peice and have it removable? well funny thing is my model a hood happends to be 4 peices and removable...

30. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

the thing is, it aint needed... the engine gets wet and cold ANYHOW... the OP wants to run an open car anyhow, so why keep going over and over again?

shitheads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.