Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1955 Cadillac Chop & Full Custom Build !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flop, Mar 11, 2011.

1. 55CadillacTed

55CadillacTed

don't ask me
    i'm still drunk

2. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Anyone every do up Carson top chopped 55? I'd love to see that done. I'm leaning more to a 2 door roadster if I bring one home. Got to use all that California sunshine for something,

3. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Flop,

What are your plans for taking up the torsional forces in the body once the roof panel & posts are cut? The boxing of the package shelf in and of itself, won't do this. The oem stretcher panels and wheelhouses of this Caddie aren't designed to take these loads. Without much reinforcement in the sills, cowl & frame of the vehicle, you'll have alot of movement at the striker posts and your door alignment will soon suck! I'd suggest a study of body engineering of droptop vehicles of this era to insure that your build doesn't get ya in legal hotwater when the doors don't close, or fly open when going around curves. Body flex, even in well engineered vehicles, is a big issue anytime you build a vehicle without a lid/top.

And please, no Zocchi knock offs!

" The real pity in america is that the people who really know how to run the country are all tending bar and cutting hair " - George Burns -

4. Flop

Flop

hey pimpin, no posts are being cut. it is already a hardtop. floor is solid as are rockers and the brace that runs the length of the floor width wise plus adding another brace that runs the width of the car in the trunk area mimicking the factory brace inbetween the striker posts. do ya think it would need more?

5. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

If I recall, drop tops of this era had an "X" frame with heavy steel plates where the rails intersected, at mid court of the vehicle. This coupled with boxes sections in the package shelf/boot area, & sills/rockers, more steel in the cowl & ''beefy'' hinges, strikers & ''dove tails'' in the door jam all formed a box when the roof was removed. The Hardtops had more steel in the Cant rails & C Posts, but I don't think any additional hardware.
    If ya remember the "Tee-Top" craze of the 70s and whata POS that made of vehicles froma a structure point, ya can kinda get what I'm talking to.

What ya have done in the package shelf area is good, don't get me wrong, but won't check torsional forces in a vehicle weighting 5K!

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

6. Flop

Flop

pimpin, just went and looked at the car .what would you think of a piece of square stock running through the inside of the rocker and a piece running up the post ? there is plenty of room actually inside that post which i could also tie into the main floor brace. also run brackets from the inner rocker brace to the frame.

7. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Flop,

That sounds good, but the stock running inside the rocker would best be at least as large as the rocker itself to be up to the job. Also, the box sections that run fore or aft must intersect each side to side rail to form a box, and thus provide sound reinforcement. Your ideas on the tie in to the floor are good ones!

" Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork "

8. dutchrodder

dutchrodder

Good luck with your caddy,
    here's a caddy I build 4 years ago, sold to a german pimp

It had dropped spindles, a jaguar rear end and was chopped 19cm (7,5")

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Flop

Flop

waiting for a convertible w/s frame to get here so no real updates to speak of!

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Hmmm. I cut the top off a Sedan Deville (4 door hardtop), shortened it 14" and made it a two door with top bows from a '69 Catalina 'vert. It was VERY rigid, no cowl shake, you could jack up any corner and the doors didn't pinch. I cut the package tray completely out to make a top well, as in the donor convertible.

I wouldn't worry about stiffening the frame/body too much, at least from my experience. It was much less flexible than ANY convertible from GM I've owned. (I'd attatch a pic so you wouldn't think it was a hack job, but since our computor crashed, my picture files are screwy, I can't find the few I have of it).

Brian

11. Who in their right mind would cut up a classic Cadillac of that era. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

12. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. grease4life

grease4life

Where did you get the drop spindles for it?

14. Flop

Flop

yeah its been a while some plans on the car have changed but its def chopped now well atleast the hard part is done.

no more removable hardtop but a killer chop in the works...

chopped an inch and a half in the a pillars gonna go a little more though

[​IMG]

brace time

[​IMG]

i was really worried about the inner structure on this chop so i wanted some access

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we are not worrying about the stock back window on this chop soooo time to get the roof free

[​IMG]

probably thinking....

[​IMG]

back on

[​IMG]

a small slit in the a pillars to get everything to line back up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  15. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

James, wasn't Frankies a '55?

Hmmmmmmmm???????? Or a Classic and rare LaSalle?:eek:

16. INTMD8

INTMD8
    from Il.

17. Glad this is coming along. Always like to see updates.

18. Flop

Flop