Register now to get rid of these ads!

53-54 chevy lowering 3" pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom Kid 53, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Kustom Kid 53

Kustom Kid 53

I ordered 3" coils and blocks from jamco and im just woundering how much of a differance it will make on my 53 belair. this is not as low as i want to go, but its almost time to bring the cars out and i dont want to take the car down for awhile to put my air ride on. so if anyone has pics of 53-54 lowered 3" i would like to see them
    thanks!

2. Likeumlow

Likeumlow

Here's 5'' front and rear.

Attached Files:

3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

2 inches front and back with 225/70/15 rear tires and 195/75/14 front tires. i would like to go at least 2 more inches lower all around. these cars sit way high

Attached Files:

4. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

I am also lowering my car 3" using blocks from Chevs of the 40's and cutting coils. I was planning on cutting 2 coils, does anyone have any experience with this on a 53-54? I want it as low as I can get it without running into any serious problems, I am running 670-15 Firestones.

5. hotdamn

hotdamn

if you cut it two coils you will most likely have an issue with ride quality.

my general rule of thumb is 1 coil, maybe coil and a half max, things get a little weird after that.

if you wanna get it LOW in the front and keep the stock suspension then I would suggest a set of 3" dropped up rights and a set of 3" dropped springs, maybe 3/4 of a coil trimmed off and you will be in the dirt Watson style in the front.

in the back c-notch the frame 6" raise your wheel tubs if your gonna run 6.70's and throw in a set of 3" dropped springs with a set of 4" blocks and you'll be super low!

oh and tunnel of course:)

6. hotdamn

hotdamn

here is mine, it is lowered around 5" in the front and 6 " in the back. it will come down about another 1" when I get time to screw with it...:D

IMG00015-20100418-1957.jpg

IMG00016-20100418-1958.jpg

7. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

Ok thanks! I think I will go with 1 and a half coils. I would like to do what you suggested but don't think I will go that crazy yet. Your car looks familiar, was it in the magazine Rodz? I love it!!

8. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

2" front 3" rear 6.70-15 bias'
    [​IMG]

9. Kustom Kid 53

Kustom Kid 53

Thanks for the responses every one! I guess 3” drop will do for now but I definitely want to go lower.

10. hotdamn

hotdamn

I would start at 1 coil and see how that tickles your fancy first. better to take it out and cut it again then to cut too much:)

as for magazines it was in street rodder twice in an article about fatmans and it is still used in fatman ads.

11. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

If you can weld GOOD, or have a buddy that does you could consider stepping your lower control arms, its an easy inexpensive way to get a couple inches lower and not have to drop big$$ On dropped uprights. Add that with one cut coils and you should be about where you want to go. There have been a couple threads on here that will show you how its done, Im sure somebody whos a little mo compruta smart than I is could put up a link to them.

Hotdamn get your ass back in the shop, were waiting for updates. Its nice to see a 53/54 not hacked half to shit..somewhat inspiring even, Youve got me wanting to chop mine baaad!

Anyway back to bidness, heres a pic of my 52 with stepped control arms, one coil cut and 54 uprights, I ride tall bias plys and the original springs cut down. Your results should be similar.

Attached Files:

12. hotdamn

hotdamn

awe shucks, thanks lone star mopar, I will hopefully get the drivers side sail panel shaped tomorrow night:D

glad you dig it:)

and as for yours, the styleline is imo the perfect roof for a sweet chop:)

look at Jesus Valencia's, pure sex!!!

13. chopperwolf

chopperwolf

Ok, I am planning to add 3" blocks in the back, but my drive line is stock(closed i believe). Will this work, or am I gonna run into problems?

14. Original57

Original57

That sure is one cool lookin chevy you got there Hotdamn.

Yours ain't too bad either Likeumlow. :cool:

15. Kustom Kid 53

Kustom Kid 53

Chopperwolf, lowering 3" will work just fine with stock drive line. You might even beagle to get it a little lower with stock drive line but not much before the axel and frame start trying to occupy the same space at the same time!