Register now to get rid of these ads!

How'd Ya Do It!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greaser Bob, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

'29 Model A Special. Chop is almost finished but now I'm getting ready to do the front swing-out window. The chop is 4", so I figure I'll chop the window frame the same amount.
    My question is, where do I put the pivot bolts on the A pillars? I was gonna do it AFTER the window work-but has anyone got any insight?
    Thanks ahead of time!

2. The Model A pivots from the hinge at the top of the header.At least thats were the ones I owned had the hinge.Do you mean the swing arm clamp points?

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

You do plan on making the cut on the top angled section, right? Just want things to go easy.

4. x2 ...i usually try to leave the swingarm clamp points in the pillar where they were stock. You just chop around it.

5. Fenders

Fenders

I dunno the real answer but keep in mind that you don't have to cut the A pillar at the same place (height) as the other pillars.. the window pivots at the top as said, and the pivot bolts on the A pillar should give the same curve as the window pivot bracket, so maybe the cut on the A pillar should go below the A pillar pivot bolts....
    Others will know....

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  6. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

So i want to take 4" out of the top end? Like measure a couple inches down from the top point of the 45 degree cut, just past the screw hole, and start my first cut there?
    And then make my second cut 4" from there??
    P.S. Pillars are already welded back together-I'm just refering to the windshield frame now.

7. if all you have to do is cut the windshield frame, then just take the 4 inches right off the top. measure 4inches down from the 45, and cut a new 45. then all you have to do is measure and drill new holes.

since it hinges at the top, that should work for ya

8. dudley32

dudley32

cut it up..if it don't work..cut it again...:D

9. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Unfortunately things never work out well for me when I do that.

10. Fenders

Fenders

Oh... I'd say OK on cutting the windshield frame but now it depends where the pillar bolt ended up... did they cut above or beow the A pillar bolt?

11. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

I had cut the pivot bolt area out-so I will be able to weld them back on where-ever I need to. My big hang up is that when I cut down the sides of the frame 4", starting at the top, the vertical sides of the frame will no longer be the same distance from eachother as they were when stock. It would be soooo much easier if the sides were parallel and didn't taper in as you move to the bottom!

12. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Damn-I'm freakin stoked!!!!!! I decided to do it the way BTB Rocco suggested as it involved no welding and seemed alot faster. I'm tellin ya, I was really sweating the top corner angle thing-thinking too hard I guess! I just measured down 4" from the top corner, re-45'ed it, and gently pounded it back together-SWEET!!
    So a hardy heart felt thanks goes out BTB Rocco-you're my hero today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Haha, no problem man. I wouldn't say I'm the most knowledgable guy on here, but i'm glad it worked out.

14. unclerichard

unclerichard
    from Michigan

I chopped mine 3 inches right off the top, leaving the swing arm pivots alone. But then the arms were too long, so I chopped them just enough to clear the top when closed and locked. Works slick