Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects At it once more... '27 T Roadster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny-B-Bad, Dec 21, 2010.

1. jms

jms
    from Chicago IL

Could someone knowledgable on welding comment on the last two pictures? They look scary.

2. Looks good to me.

3. daddio211

daddio211

My concern is that the steel hadn't been cleaned of the rust and scale before welding. Maybe it had, but it doesn't appear to have been. If so, and if the weld made good penetration, it will be fine.

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Looks like it's been sandblasted to me and the welding looks fine.

Holy crap, John! You're really givin' er the gun! Looks great, can't wait to see it covered in mud!

5. Johnny-B-Bad

Johnny-B-Bad

Cant want to get it out there in the mud! Its come a long way since that warm december day in buffalo Andy.

And about the welds, i checked and there was good penetration on the back side. I used weld through primer so it caused most of the splatter and mess.

6. Southfork

Southfork

Got a couple of questions for ya, Johnny B: What's that steering column and box? Looks like Gemmer box, but if it uses 4 mounting bolts, it's got to be out of something other than Ford. And, the crossmember that the wishbone ball mounts to is obviously from a Ford, but what year??? Not a modified '32 K member is it? Also, what are the pedals and MC out of? I really dig this build. It's original, and done the way they were done back in the good old days!

7. Johnny-B-Bad

Johnny-B-Bad

Steering box is a 55 or 56 f100. Filled the 4 holes in the chevy frame from the stock box and opened up the hole for sector shaft, redrilled the holes for the ford pattern. The crossmember is out of a 38 dump truck i had. Took alot of meat out of it to make it fit and look how i wanted and the pieces going back are 11g channel that i had bent up at the local steel supplier to fit inside my rails. The pedal shaft is 46 ford that i cut out and welded into the crossmember. Pedals are stock 27 chevy but i added the arms where i needed them for the clutch and brakes. And the master is out of a 55 f100.

8. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I'm going to follow this one.. Great job with the pics.

9. cool build, im just gettin started on a 27 chevy which i plan to put an a model front end in and il also be runnin a straight 6 (53 desoto). subscribed this thread for future reference. good work mate and i cant wait to see how it turns out

10. Johnny-B-Bad

Johnny-B-Bad

Well not much has happened this week, did some more blasting and put the step in the rear subrails for the spring and did a lot of priming on parts i stripped.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shadow Creek and brEad like this.
  11. Johnny-B-Bad

Johnny-B-Bad

Well tonight was a giant step for me. We got the cowl mounted to the subrails, drivers door hung, and made a new side panel on the roadster. Using what was left of the original panel, i dug through the pile of scrap fenders and hoods and stuff and found a perfect match: the hood off the 38 dump truck that just keeps on giving to this poor old roadster. Found the part that matched the curves of the panel best and started cutting.. Then the panel frame was bolted down to the rails for now and the old was cut out and the new was fit and tacked along with the bun panel patch that i ordered. It was all hammer welded and shrunk to fit the contour of the new patch panel and it came out pretty damn well for a pile of crap =)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  12. metalhotrodgirl

metalhotrodgirl

:) lookin good ! cant wait to c more

13. Digging this, looks cool!

14. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

15. jbristow

jbristow
    from ohio

IMO, this project is what the H.A.M.B. is all about, keep up the good work, I wish I had your energy.

16. Johnny-B-Bad

Johnny-B-Bad

Thanks guys... the showdown is still looking possible =)

17. Johnny-B-Bad

Johnny-B-Bad

Heres some more after this week. Lots of parts are primed, just waiting for a nice day to actually paint! And the main tub is together, just waiting on my long awaited parts from howells sheetmetal to show up this week to finish it up and make it showdown worthy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

lookin' good. I pray to the Lord God Almighty that I can get crankin' on my pile o parts SOON! Hope it turns out half as well as this one.

19. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

looking good! glad you are doing enough work for the two of us. you coming up here before the show down?

20. Johnny-B-Bad

Johnny-B-Bad

Ill be there after, i think everyone else is headed back to nj. But were camping out the night before, still need an answer from you.

21. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

Your doing great, looks like it's coming together... Subscribed

22. Looking good John. What panels you waiting on from Howell's? I've grabbed a few of them over the years.

I used their bun panels, but they weren't a fantastic fit......I'll probably redo them. Were yours from Howells?

23. Johnny-B-Bad

Johnny-B-Bad

Im waiting on the rear panel of the tub, seat riser, rockers/ door sills, and the panel above the deck lid.

And the bun panels were from howells, they fit well cause i had nothing to begin with haha. But the driver side one was a little short so it needed to be added to at the rear radius.

24. Johnny-B-Bad

Johnny-B-Bad

Heres a bit more from this week. I was finally able to begin painting parts so im getting there. And its also been looking like christmas with fedex and ups coming every day with parts.

The frame is being ground down and i still need to make some fillers. Also started welding rivet heads into all the holes that originally had rivets in them holding cross members or brackets onto the frame. I just couldt bare filling all those holes and smoothing out the rails, it would just take away from the look of the car. And we also got the dash pretty much done last night. Hope you guys like it...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Howell's make an above-deckild panel? I looked for years for one of those....found one swiss-cheese version and then a good one locally.

26. Johnny-B-Bad

Johnny-B-Bad

Well alot got done the other night after the patch panels came it. The rockers fit well and the seat riser needed some trimming but the rear panel and panel over the decklid were pretty bad. The rear panel fit well along the subrails after some trimming but was a 1/2-3/4" too short from reaching the top support. And the panel over the decklid has no compound curve where it meets the rear seat panel. Also got some parts painted and started reassembling the motor. Tires arrive and they are going to get mounted this week. And i took a radiator down to the local shop to get cut down and recored. And the frame is almost ready for paint and should be ready to assemble by mid week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. orangecoupe

orangecoupe
    from florida

looks very cool very similar to what i am doing if you can check it out. tell me what u think

28. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Hot Damn, John! Looks awesome!

29. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

My old 216 is lookin' pretty nice, there :)

Any chance of seeing it mocked up with the turtle deck on?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011