Register now to get rid of these ads!

No more acetylene

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54FISH, Mar 25, 2011.

1. 54FISH

54FISH

at work today , we were informed there is no more acetylene being made , something about the plant blowing up & once the suppilers run out , thats it ,no more acetylene .theres is only 2 places that make it we were told . we were told we will be swithching to propalene for torching (not sure if it's true) . Anyone hear about this ???

2. Ruiner

Ruiner

Propylene or methylene?...acetylene is dangerous and dirty shit to work with anyway...but it's effective...I doubt there's only 2 acetylene producers in the world, but you never know I guess...

3. hemibird43

hemibird43

ok lets get this out, there will always be acetylene made, i have worked in a plant that manufactures it for over 70 years, it will never go away,never, who ever told you that, well they just dont know, check out b.o.c gasses, air liquide, air gas, praxair,. where i worked we made 2.5 million cubic feet of acetylene each month.

4. squirrel

squirrel

5. DocsMachine

DocsMachine
    from Alaska

Acetylene can be produced by any oil refinery that has a catalytic cracker- which, these days, is most of them. It's basically a byproduct of processes they're doing anyway to break the heavier oils and tars down into the more valuable light fractions like diesel and gasoline.

So basically as long as the refineries are still making gas, they're making acetylene.

Now, what your "source" might be thinking of is helium. That, we are coming dangerously close to running out of, and unlike acetylene, we can't "make" more.

Doc.

6. budd

budd

theres a guy just down the road here who makes acetylene and fills bottles, i guess he must be using calcium carbide with water.

7. hemibird43

hemibird43

do you know what an air seperation plant does, acetylene is made of calcium carbide, and water, try to produce it below 19degrees and you will have a product that is more unstable than nitro gliserin, i laugh when i hear some say we are burning our ozone, you know what every electric motor produces (ozone) and there is alot of electric motors out there. just saying.

8. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

damn you mean i cant make that cool ass voice at parties anymore?

9. havi

havi

The Earth has found a way to keep going for millions of years. There's no reason to be freaking out that the world will come to an end in a couple years, or that we will have destroyed the Earth due to not "going green", so on so forth. The same can be said about acetylene. It'll be around regardless of the doomsday sayers. But what do I know.

10. Acetylene costs money, people are always trying to push a
    lower priced alternative, like Mapp Gas, now Propalene ?

But Acetylene is the best option so far.

11. havi

havi

12. hemibird43

hemibird43

i agree 100% like i said before i made the stuff for 20years, nothing better for the buck !!

13. junior 1957

junior 1957

when i was in high school, i worked part time at an old machine shop. the first summer i helped the owner refubish an acetylene generator, calcium carbide in the top, water in the bottom. it was adjustable to allow the gas to be "created" as needed.

14. RichG

RichG

My cat just made methane... dammmmnnnn!

15. You've worked there 70 years:eek:! Dang, you must be gettin' some age on you.

16. hotrodwelder

hotrodwelder

I work for a company that we generate acetylene and we have the only plant i know of in Idaho. I know calcium carbide is expensive and hard to get but, acetylene is an easy make. Helium is getting costly and hard to get due to it's availibility. maybe someone has there info mixed up.??

17. BarryA

BarryA

We're not going to destroy the earth, but we may well wipe ourselves out!!
    This old rock ain't going anywhere though, and I don't think acetylene is either - pretty basic stuff as most have said.

18. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Yeah, my supplier told me about the plant explosion yesterday. We shall just have to wait and see...

19. Is it time for this thread again? Has it been 6 months?

20. budd

budd

21. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not every electric motor produces ozone, only those with brushes do.

22. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Damn, and we almost made it to May 21st. Just a little bit short.

23. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

The sky is falling the sky is falling!!!

24. AllenK

AllenK

NO! No! What will we do??

I almost woke my wife up laughing at that comment!

25. Ice man

Ice man

When I lived in New Brighton, Pa, yrs ago they had a small welding supply shop and they msde they own acetylene gas right on sight.Basic ingreditant is carbite. Just a small simply shop but very effective. Don't let the scare bares get to you. Iceman

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like a lot of other stuff we use, the supply of acetylene is a regional thing. While it may be a bit hard to get in that area of the country where the plant explosion was (was that lately????) other regions of the country won't have an issue with it. I was at the welding supply store buying fittings to hook up my new to me torch today and the guy there didn't mention anything about a shortage.

27. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I thought that helium was produced mostly as a by product from natural gas, from which I last read that we have about a 80 year supply of known reserves. So I am curious as to why we are running out or it is getting scarce .......I'm always open for an education

28. koolkemp

koolkemp

I have been fixing photocopiers for 24 yrs now...they produce lots of ozone as well, from the electric motors and the copy process itself lol !

29. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Air gas of Michigan raised our prices yesterday. A 122 bottle that cost $42 to exchange last week now costs $115. I use propane to cut with, so it won't hurt me to bad.

30. Lucky3

Lucky3

X2....here in the midwest, a large number of welding shops make their own acetylene w/calcium carbide pellets and water. Very common.