Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 States in my 59 Ford and my 27 T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by diemywill, Feb 23, 2011.

1. diemywill

diemywill

I shall preface the story of my journey with a few choice words…
    Love the earth and sun and animals,
    Despise riches, give alms to everyone that asks,
    Stand up for the stupid and crazy,
    Devote your income and labor to others…
    And your very flesh shall be a great poem.

-Walt Whitman
    I am Justin Ichikawa and I am going to embark on a great journey.
    I was taught by my parents to go out and see the world, explore, there is so much to see, so see it. I have the type of personality where I seek perfection in the things I do, and I also have a tendency to get deeply involved in my interests.
    I have had a goal for some time now to see all of our 50 United States. My travels have taken me to 41 of these United States, now I will see them all. Not only will I see these remaining states, but I will be seeing them behind the wheel of my 1959 Ford Custom 300. Now, I'm debating on whether or not to flat tow my flathead powered 1927 Model T Roadster. Maybe you guys can convince me to take it. It would be sweet to be able to drive one then the other, and to see a 59 Ford towing a 27 T.
    I will not be alone in my journey, I will be traveling with my good friend Jason. He and I will brave the U.S, in this car, with open hearts.

It all starts here and it all starts now.
    Through these posts you can join me on my great adventure. Through the car fabrication and building process, gathering the ample tools and gear needed to survive on the road without the use of hotels. We will be wanderers, finding food, finding shelter, picking up odd jobs here or there. I swore to my Mom I would bring my phone though, so there will be a bit of hypocrisy, but that’s it!
    Last but not least, the 9 remaining states are (and in no particular order):

• Rhode Island
    • Massachusetts
    • New Hampshire
    • Vermont
    • Maine
    • North Dakota
    • South Dakota
    • Montana
    • Alaska
    I hope you enjoy this post, and accompany me on my journey into the wild. I will depart Friday, April 22nd, 2011, first destination Viva Las Vegas.
    Before then I will be doing a bunch of prep work. I will update with car modifications and anything I deem important enough to tell the general public.
    -Justin

<center>[​IMG]

</center>

2. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Take the 27 and best of luck! Your a lucky man!

3. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Take one or the other. Getting towed off the highway is expensive, getting towed off the highway when you were towing something is a downright fortune and an absolute pain in the balls.

4. Why don't you take one and your buddy takes the other? If not I would take the '59!!!

5. I don't know the condition of either but the '59 would be more comfortable. That said when I was young and dumb and full . . . I saw all 50 from the seat of a '49 Harley Davidson over a period of about 7 years so I guess comfort really isn't an issue now is it.

Have a great trip.

6. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Man, its always been my dream to see all 50 states in a classic car. Best of luck dude...

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I''ll second taking the '27. Sounds like the adventure of a lifetime. Reminds me of when I was 16 and left northern Michigan in a stock '29 Model A, traveled south to Port Huron, Mi and crossed over into Canada and traveled east to Niagara Falls New York and on to Pennsylvnia eastward to my grandfathers place in north central PA. I spent the summer helping him on his farm and while there pulled the engine out of the 1947 Ford school bus I rode on in first grade and transplanted it into the model A. At the end of the summer I returned to Michigan in the A and drove it the rest of High School and the first two year of college. You'll have memories to last a lifetime from this trip. I can't wait to read your reports.

Frank

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  8. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Wow frank! Great story!

9. It sounds like a great adventure. Depending on what direction you decide to go it may be a hassle towing that trailer if you hit snow or come across a nice pass. So I would take one or the other. But for adventure sake I would take the '27 T. Choose the path that makes for a better story.

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Very cool indeed!
    If you guys find yourself in the Detroit area and need a place to crash I've got a couple of extra guest rooms.

I've actually done 45 out of the lower 48 states in Big Olds with only GA, FL, and Maine to do. I have no desider to drive to Alaska but it would be cool to ship my car to Hawaii and drive it around BUT oh so expensive. good luck to you both.

Oh yeah, and speakign from experience I would just take one car. One less MAJOR thing to have to deal with.

11. Sounds like the time of your life - Good for you guys

Flat Towing can be a downright pain in the ass - especially going that distance. may states limit the speed when towing - in California it's 55 MPH. You also have more hassle parking, backing is a real P.I.T.A., and it's one more thing to worry about when you are off seeing the sights and wonder if it will still be there when you return. I would rethink that part of it ......

12. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

IF you're going to take both cars...put the T on a trailer...flat-towing a car simpley adds mileage to your tires and everything else that turns...while not enjoying actually driving it.

Personally, I'd take the '59 and leave the T at home...especially if you are planning a for a lot of sightseeing...the '59 can be locked up...and in some places in this country, you really need to lock the car...at night in a strange motel parking lot is one of them.

Good luck on the trip...if you come thru Denver after VIVA, be careful cuz we can still get snowstorms in the mountains...and give a shout, there's plenty of cruises happening around here.

R-

13. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Can't wait to see your adventure! I would love to do the same the same thing, except for the working as you go thing...

14. Marcia

Marcia

You Haven't been to Maine!??!!

I hope you're coming to Loring.

15. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

I like both, but I'd take the 59....what if it rains? Where would you put your luggage in a Model T? You need leg-room, etc. Absolutely nothing against an A Model or T model, but in today's time....I would consider those...short trip cars. Mostly because they don't have a whole lot of room on them. Both up front and in the trunk.

-Cody

16. hasty

hasty

The trip sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck.
    Towing a car does not sound like fun though, flat towing or on a trailer.

17. Bucket list for me in my next Roadster... "God Willing"!

18. diemywill

diemywill

I agree Frank, that is amazing. How can top that?!

19. diemywill

diemywill

Thank you all so far for your support. As of now I'm probably going to just take the 59, unless I unexpectedly decide to change my mind. If anyone in the country has a couch or guest room available, I would definitely mow a lawn or wash some dishes for it. Or if you have any odd jobs for gas money need done, we're game. Thank you all again, anymore more input or sites to see please feel free to mention.
    -Justin

20. outlaw256

outlaw256

man go man go!!!!!!!!!!!!! smart move on the 59. wife and i are startin to plan a trip out west in my 62 galaxie or 67 impala for sept. or oct.plan on takin a month of just cruisin on 2 lane blacktop. no interstate for me.wish you all the luck in the world. if by some chance you find your self in n. alabama. look us up.have a cottage and a shop at your disposal. again good luck.

21. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

My girlfriend is from Kodiak Island, Alaska and now resides in Delaware. When she moved to the lower 48, she drove. If you're coming down the Al-Can, you would MUCH rather have the '59

22. 38zephyr

38zephyr

I have had the privelege of knowing Mr. Ichikawa for a little while now and will swear a blood oath to his honesty , trustworthiness and sincerity ! Anybody that lends him a helping hand on this journey will not be disappointed by him . I wish Justin the best of luck on his adventure and can't wait to see the pictures and hear the stories on here with everybody else . Have a blast !

23. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Hey dude, if you guys need a place to crash or wrench in northern Colorado hit me up. Only got a couch and open floor to crash on, but its better then a cold tent

24. diemywill

diemywill

Thank you Mike!

25. Lucky444

Lucky444

Too bad Hawaii is already crossed off your list. Would've been cool to see you cruising the islands. I guess the getting here part would've been a problem!

Good luck on your adventure.

26. Hey I was thinking the same thing .

27. Thelonious

Thelonious

If at any time you find yourself in Michigan's upper peninsula I can offer a couch and a place to wrench.

28. diemywill

diemywill

I'm going to Hawaii in August! But not with the car, going by plane with the family. That would be pretty fresh though.

29. diemywill

diemywill

So, I've had lots of time to think about this and I've finally made up my mind.

I've decided to only take my 1959 Ford. Motor is running solid, looks purdy, great to sleep in and ample room in the trunk for supplies.
    I've also decided on another extension to add on to the 50 states trip. Since Alaska isn't too far from Russia, according to Sara Palin. I've decided to try and get passage onto a barge leaving the Western Alaskan shores heading towards Eastern Russia, then travel through Europe via another car I build or a bike. Maybe cook, or clean, or something to earn my keep.
    Now the only hard part will be finding a way in, that I am allowed to be in, or I can just go communist.
    Wish me double luck on that one fellas. Thank you to everyone for their continued support and I will be taking most of you up on your offers for a place to stay and wrench. Thank you thank you thank you.

-Justin

30. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Have you read "long way around" Ewen mcgregor and a buddy basically rode around the globe. I might have to go read it again. great story.