Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need some old school antitheft tips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jleavesl, Mar 24, 2011.

1. octobeak

octobeak

that sucks man, but it seems like your taking it well. I agree x2 with marcosmadness, kill switch an electronic fuel pump and coil and hope for the best.

Saturday night live had an ad for a car called the "Chameleon", it had a pretty cool alarm system; simulated rust holes, bullet holes and fake fluid leaks... They coulda called it a rat rod!

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

http://www.nextag.com/motion-detector-alarm/search-html
    http://www.nextag.com/motion-sensor-alarm/search-html
    http://nservices.com/motion.htm
    http://www.tbotech.com/infrared-motion-sensor.htm

Use a motion detector. They also have pocket size receivers.
    They are cheap too.
    http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281100
    I also bought a set at harbor freight that work great.
    They have good distance reception. Never tested them but I do know they reach a hotel parking lot to an enclosed hotel room. Wouldn't hurt to put an extra receiver in your trunk to alert the lowlife that a large gun is coming his way.

3. jleavesl

jleavesl
    from Houston

While I was impressed with the police response that evening, upon following up I became a little disappointed. We tracked them that evening using MobileMe and actually found the apartment building they were in before the robbers pulled the sim cards from my phone and iPad. The cops went and looked for them that evening but there is no mention of this in the police report (we narrowed it down to what apt building they were in). They also said the guy was black (he wasn't) and they also said they probably wouldn't catch the guy who did it because the govt doesn't put much emphasis on crimes like these. I guess I'd have to be shot for them to follow up on it. It's not the stuff that concerns me, it's the fact that this guy is out there an things may not go so well with his next victim.

4. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Well honestly,,I would be more concerned about someone I DON'T want coming to my house to steal my car ( and in general ) coming to my house. Hope you reported this, and I would make every effort to find these assholes FIRST,,the hell with the car,,protect yourself and your home first

5. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Excellent advice! I think that since I'm rebuilding my motor... I'm going to follow advice and go this route.
    Sorry to hear that some schmucks did this to you and traumatized your girlfriend.
    Wish I would have seen it happenin, guaranteed 2x4 to the back of the scumbags head!

6. BlockBuster

BlockBuster
    from SEMass

Am I the first to mention this?

Get yourself a AAA membership and get your car home when it craps the bed, not a 'day or two later'. They'll drop off gas, fix your flat and tow your ass home if you need it. If you're a motorcycle guy the AMA membership covers your cars, too. Up to 5 times a year!

And carry that gun if your neighborhood blows that bad. Open/concealed doesn't matter. You and your gal shouldn't be living in fear.

7. If it brakes in a bad neigborhood do not let the car sit unattended call freinds a towing company whatever but never leave the car unattended. Low lifes are just waiting to steal your shit. This is exactly why I live in the northwoods were there is little to no car thefts and crime rates are low and very seldom go to runs in large citys alone.. In a case like yours the low life would have never robbed me he would have to busy slippin in my shit!!

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Every situation like this is different, you obviously did this one right, your still on the right side of the grass.
    even if you were packing, your decission to keep it cool, saved both of your lifes, wallets , money credit cards cars, and keys can be replaced.
    Although i am going to say that i would be very dilligent on where you go, and where you live. and Pack Concealed, is the only way to do it right, upper hand eliment of surprise, or the ability to protect if the situation ever gets to that point.
    never leave your shit sit..never
    more and more of this shit is going on everywhere usa..watch your back
    always scope your surrounding environment, guard down, head down..easy target

9. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

Yep, AAA is worth every penny.... especially for the rest of the family so they aren't stranded somewhere without you.

I'm not a fan of open carry, but that's a personal decision. Either way, get some defensive training to go along with it. A hand gun is of no use if you don't know when and how to use it.

10. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Sad ain't it? This kind of crap happens all the time. The thugs do it cause they can get away with it. The cops always say not to resist and give them what they want. Sometimes they will still kill you. Maybe if more of them were met with a bullet between the eyes instead of cooperation, the crime rate would go down. It is probably just going to get worse. More desperation, more gang bangers, more thugs. Cops more worried about busting pot smokers than read criminals. Where is Charlie Bronson when we need him? In this case you are lucky he didn't get pissed when the car did not start and shoot yer ass, or make you start it for him at gunpoint.
    Not much you can do in a car jacking if a gun in in your face.

11. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Hi Everyone...
    The original poster mentioned losing a IPad to the scumbag thief... Then fhc (KY) mentioned the "find my ipad" feature.. See link: http://www.apple.com/ipad/built-in-apps/find-my-ipad.html

This is now available on IPhones, IPads and IPods.. BUT you must update the OS to latest version and set it up. It allows you to set up a password, can wipe it clean (from home computer), might it unuseable to scumbag and if you work quickly, with maybe some law enforcement (like they would be interested in such a small taking), you might be able to locate it before, it gets chucked away, or smashed.

I know a lot of HAMBers, use the IPods and plug into some stereo or amp jack for their tunes, and still make it look traditional.. but maybe this might be, one more device to help you recover a car, or whatever..

I gave a lady friend last summer, an IPod 64, but she didn't not keep up with the OS upgrades, her daughter borrowed it for a HS Canada trip, and it got ripped off.. She was not a happy camper, when she found out, that this upgrade was available.. SO UPGRADE, if you use one of these devices. Might be just the edge, to recover your property.:).. Good Luck...duane (NM Sandrail)

12. Conniptor

Conniptor
    from New Jersey

I hate car alarms, no one pays attention to them - BUT - I used one about 30yrs ago with a trick that I think would have worked:

I put the siren inside the car way up under the dash - don't see how anyone could stay in the car to do ANYTHING after that thing went off! :D

13. ems customer service

ems customer service

intresting you got robbed as you went to fix the flat, i bet the air was let out? i would say the robber were able to watch the car from there house or apartment and waited for and by your old car they new you were not that close to home.

also want to point out that a extra $20 of gas before you left probally looks a lot better now

14. csimonds

csimonds

Hey Buddy, sorry for you and your girls troubles here. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here...... PLEASE do not let the cops stop this process. If you need to continue working your way up the chain of supervisors. You pay taxes and you had a gun in your face, this is the cops job. I hate to tell you to harp on the police, but hell they would harp on you. Talking to somebody about this isn't a bad idea as well. Keep your head up, you did the right thing by just giving up your stuff!
    Chuck

15. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

not to get to far off subject... but the best method of drawing a concealed weapon is one in which the perp doesnt realize what you are doing until he is being shot...

I know people will scoff and say that a .380 is too small... but I carry the KELTEC in a holder that fits in my back pocket like a wallet...
    Someone DEMANDS your wallet, you reach in your back pocket, pull out the black leather holder and by the time they realize it isnt your wallet, its too late...

I know .380's are small... but its better than something you cant conceal, or cant draw successfully....

https://www.pagerpal.com/wallet.asp

16. customcreationsllc

customcreationsllc

There is no safe areas. Thief will look at richer nicer areas because there is more money there.

Couple things first.
    I wouldn't carry this way unless you can block the trigger last thing you want is something hitting the trigger in your pocket that can make for a bad day.
    This also gets very close the being a firearm that doesn't look like a firearm "wallet gun" which you need a special permit for. I think the federal permit/tax is any other weapon, same one you need for sawed off shot guns, etc.
    [​IMG]

Next if I was professional thief and I'm not I'm a mechanic I would have a battery pack with a magnet to jump fuel pumps, and jump the starter 2 common anti theft devices taken out in 10 sec. laying under the car. They just need to know your car.

I had my Cherokee stolen they just broke the lock cylinder off. This is what started me thinking.

You can probably get away with a carb bowl of gas but most people don't even know about mechanical fuel pumps anymore, probably look straight for an electric pump. But better than nothing.

But I like the idea of the thief driving it a little ways then stopping. More likely to just run than to try and figure out where to jump the pump.

Now this is my way maybe not perfect either, I use an electric brake Line lock.
    Comes on every time I start the car I have a momentary switch to shut it off.
    Every time you step on the brake it locks more pressure in the line.
    So get to the first stop sign and all your going to do from there is a nice smoke show the last thing they want is to draw attention.
    What thief is ever going to look for a brake line lock. I hope none are on here.

If you have an hydraulic clutch you can do the same. step on the clutch and it doesn't release.

Here is my wiring diagram that I made for mine I added a toggle switch so I can use it anytime.
    Key on power goes through the relay turns on the Line Lock the momentary switch activates the relay, which starts back feeding itself with the key on power and shuts off the power to the line lock. Key off restarts the relay.

[​IMG]

Let me know if any plans on using my idea.
    Just want to know what you thing about it.

But if they really want the car they just tow it.
    I guess lojack at that point.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  17. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

agreed.... if you want a show of force, take four guy friends with you, not the girlfriend. a guy and a girl working on a stranded car is a dirt-bag invitation.

Houston is a shit-hole. but i would NEVER leave a vehicle stranded regardless of location. i'd have it towed if necessary.

thanks to cops and congress, drug gangs now control every major urban district in america and it's only going to get worse.

18. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

a .380 might be worse than nothing because it gives you a false sense of security. i wouldn't want to pull that little thing out on two guys with big glocks. you will shoot them and they will unload on you. they may eventually die or be caught at the hospital but you'll be thrice dead. the best concealed carry gun around is the "baby glock". it comes in many flavors; 9mm, .40cal, and sig. i have my 9mm loaded with winchester ranger ammo.

19. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

First of all... these are not "hair trigger pistols" it would VERY VERY difficult to accidentally fire the KELTEC from the back pocket of your jeans!
    It takes a VERY deliberate trigger pull (which is why these are not equiped with a safety)
    Second the law you are refering to is "AOW" or "any other weapon"... this does NOT fall into that category because:
    1. it is classified as a grip modification
    2. due to the fact that the SLIDE is exposed is NOT considered to be hiding the fact that is a gun.

PAGER PAL can provide a copy of their ATF letter upon request.

20. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

A lot of the replies here regarding car anti-theft are good ones. However the real issue I read was one of awareness of your surroundings. ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings in every situation.
    Also, check your local laws. In Arizona, carrying ID and registration is the law, but having your address on such ID is not required. I scratch out and eliminate my address from all forms of ID. Cops don't mind. My name is all they get.

21. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Sorry to hear. By the way, I wouldn't want to be shot at by a .380 (nine mm short) any less than a nine mm... Either one would be pretty damn effective from 4 feet away, and it would really come down one of the persons knowing what they are doing more than another, not equipment. Just personal opinion.

But of all the advice here, the much better is to not get in the situation in the first place. Quickly getting a tow truck would have made the most sense, but I know is not always possible. Just had the same situation with my son's daily and we couldn't get it towed out fast enough.

Sorry this happened.

22. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

X2

As mentioned "ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings in every situation".

23. pcterm2

pcterm2

i remember when the concealed carry license was going on they kept saying it is going to be the wild west here.
    </fang>

24. YEP. Just move to ARIZONA. An armed society is a polite society.

25. First, I am sorry to hear what happened to you and your girl. I think you did exactly the right thing in surrendering the things. Things are replacable, people aren't.

I have a tow policy included in my auto insurance policy, it cost about $4.00 every six months. If I use the wrecker service my agent recommends all I have to do is show the tow driver my insurance card, otherwise I pay the tow company and take the receipt to my agent and he cuts me a check on the spot. Never, ever leave your car on the side of the road, it's an open invitation to trouble.

26. That may be true but, it may also be true that if our friend had been armed and the robber was aware of the fact he would have simply moved on to an easier target. At their heart these guy's are all cowards. As stated so eloquently above, an armed society is a polite society.

27. terryr

terryr
    from earth

Poor judgment on your part. Leaving your car a few days then coming back at night to get it. And bring your girl into danger.

One cutoff is a switched wire from a fused circuit to ground. When you turn it on, and someone tries to start the car the fuse blows due to the short. Hard for them to figure out and easy for you to fix.

28. iamspencer

iamspencer

I know that on some old wreckers (maybe new ones to) they had hydraulic parking brakes. like a lever or a pull knob that actuated a piston that pressurized the brake lines, I think it would be easy enough to hide one or a few around the vehicle always

have also thought of getting one of those long loop pad locks and slipping it though a u joint on a drive shaft

just a couple ideas i've had

29. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

A couple ideas Ive had, first if you go with an electric fuel pump put a valve in the line somwhere hidden say behind something like an AC switch. Anybody observing wouldnt notice if you switched off the AC when you parked and a thief wouldn't think he would need to turn it on. The can hear a fuel pump running and building pressure which takes much longer to diagnose. Removing the shifter may be as simple as unscrewing it from the column, a lot easier to carry around than a steering wheel. Using a starter button while employing a starter switch, must press the button and turn the key to start. Remove a linkage between the throttle and carb, the car starts just fine but would only idle around for them. Just a few ideas

30. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

hidden fuel shut off