Register now to get rid of these ads!

gasser mufflers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay.S, Mar 21, 2011.

1. choke

choke

A good old fashion glass pack works and sound traditional. But what ever you do try and hide them so they don't confuse the look of your rear suspension. On the cars I build I go out of my way to get the mufflers and pipes up as high in the car as possible. The more compact the muffler the easier it is.

Attached Files:

2. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

My vote. Moroso spiral flow bullets. They look like a glass pack,but are not.
    Great performance and sound great. I picked up .2 switching from Flowmaster 40's to the Moroso.
    Brandon

3. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I had thrush on my 56 ,good sound free flow

4. Jay.S

Jay.S

Thanks for your ideas guys. I have another question, do any of you have pictures of how you mounted your fenderwell headers to your exhaust? My hookers don't have the bend at the bottom of them, and tucking the exhaust towards the frame rail out the side of the header will not fit for me. Any help?

5. duck279

duck279
    from SC

Smokin Bill your car sounds awesome!

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran Purple Hornies on my T bucket and they had a great sound with a small block with a cam in it. Good healthy rumble but not near as loud as Cherry Bombs.

7. Igosplut

Igosplut

Look at the youtube link I posted, you can see how I did it. Although I have my own pipe bender, It's not difficult to get done..

8. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

I would go with shorty glasspacks. Those purple hornies are pretty cool. Even better......slap a blower on it, some zoomies, and race it!

9. cakes

cakes

I dig on my glass packs, but I run open collectors most of the time, super loud and super awesome

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I can believe it. I found a consistant, repeatable 2 tenths loss with single chamber 4" Flowmaster shootouts compared to properly tuned open headers on a 509" chevy. Around here, we call them "noflowmasters".

11. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Have your local muff shop/pipe bender make some tight 90's and weld them to the bolt on collector. It's tight ... but it's better than blowing a hole in the side of your headers. This set up on our '56 was run inside the frame rails. Plenty of ground clearance and it did't even have an axle under it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

man the rear wheels look great on it stewart, good choice............:cool:

13. here's what I did on my truck as far as the pipes go, a little dark but here's the header to reducer to pipe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used Dynomax bullets

[​IMG]

14. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

We've dubbed them "choke masters"
    Brandon

15. straightaxlenova

straightaxlenova

Interesting!
    The quickest 1/8th mile pass that I have made to date ( 5.48 @ 130 mph) was running with 4" Flowmasters.

[​IMG]

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^You are probably not running a long enough collector extension when you run open headers.

17. AllenK

AllenK

Another vote here! They're awesome IMO. They're mellow and quiet @ cruise and idle,and they really open up when you hit the gas without being obnoxious. They're supposed to flow good as well.

18. Clik

Clik

While on the subject, what were those big coffee can looking things I remember seeing on the ends of fenderwell headers back in the day? I haven't seen any in years. Were they homemade or was there a manufacturer?

19. AllenK

AllenK

I'm not much of a glass-pack fan either. Too "poppy" for my taste. I guess all the rednecks in their trucks with glasspacks and megaphone tips really seal the deal for me.

I've used the same Super Turbos for the last 15 years on my truck,and they've been behind 3 different engines.

20. straightaxlenova

straightaxlenova

I don't need to run collectors at all with blown alcohol.

21. badduce

badduce
    from aristes pa

those coffee cans were the orig thrush mufflers,sucks they don't make them any more

22. badduce

badduce
    from aristes pa

i run dynomax race bullet mufflers of my gasser nova ,VERY LOUD but i have 14.1 compression also

23. Clik

Clik

The fact that they don't make them anymore intrigues me further.

If they suck maybe they could be gutted and reconfigured.

Anyone have any pics of them. Maybe I'll reproduce a set for my Henry J, depending on where the end of my headers end up.

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

"The quickest 1/8th mile pass that I have made to date ( 5.48 @ 130 mph) was running with 4" Flowmasters."

Your car seems to disagree...

25. straightaxlenova

straightaxlenova

ROTFLMAO!

With, or without mufflers, it runs the same E.T.s, without any other changes.:D

26. I've run a bunch of mufflers on OT street/strip drag cars, the Dynomax mufflers cut down the sound from open headers, about 75% as loud afterwards. I'd consider a set of these but might paint them.

I think anything with baffles or chambers will hurt some power.

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Are you talking about the "bullets"? I ran those on my ford, loud as hell, like "arrest me" loud, but I liked the sound of them better than the chokemasters:D. The chokemasters are ok on a mild motor, but with a big cam and lots of compression, I find all the popping and banging really obnoxious after a few minutes. My buddy had the single chamber 4" shootouts on his car, if we were going to be in the car for any length of time we would wear earplugs. Maybe we are just getting old, but i found the sound more annoying than open headers.

28. Yeah the bullets. Single chamber flows are pretty loud... I don't think Flowmasters belong on a 60's nostalgia/ gasser build, it's not the right sound.

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Agreed.

30. treeserv

treeserv
    from n.j.

I run fenderwell headers with 3 1/2 in. Cutouts out the side and 3 in. Pipe with a h pipe in to flow masters and tailpipes out the back it sounds good and your ears are fine on long rides and you can uncork them easy...