Register now to get rid of these ads!

Royal Purple or Amsoil ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rice n Beans Garage, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Hello out there !!

Anyone running Royal Purple or Amsoil oil in their rods or daily drivers ??

Just want to get some Feedback

2. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

3. TwinTownTerror

TwinTownTerror
    from Minnesota

Brad Penn Oil only.

4. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I am going to be using Amsoil in my 55 Ford that I am building a 302 flat tap in . They have an oil with the zinc in it for flat tap engines .
    Royal Purple is also a great oil but I can't find the one with the zinc in it for my cam in my area . My Amsoil cost me $10 a qt and last 5000 miles or 1 year before changes . I also use K&N oil filters or Amsoil carried the good WIX filters too . There really isn't any better filters than those 2 around . But that's just my opinion and what I use and trust !

Retro Jim

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Brad Penn plenty of zinc for $4.99 a quart. If cam manufacturers recommend it its good enough for me. Don't be snookered into believing all Royal Purple contains a high level of ZDDP. Its only some of the racing oil.

6. manicmechanic

manicmechanic

I have Royal purple in all my cars. I even just replaced the oil in my air compressor with Royal Purple that is specifically designed for reciprocating air compressors. A great product, nothing but good things to say.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Nothing but problems with Amsoil. I lost two engines after 15k on Amsoil, and one transmission after 60k (4 speed granny gear). Back then I ran a fleet of 15 trucks, and was surprised at the number of failures by just changing the oil.

7. drfreeze

drfreeze

i've been using Royal purple in my drag/street bike. i have about 1500 miles of 1/4 mile passes on it and about 1000 miles of street riding i've been through the engine to check things out once and the inside looks better thank new ... not to mention the 6 hp extra on the dyno with just a oil change .....but as for daily driver i would use a good oil with zddp + filter and change often you shouldn't have a problem

8. harley rider

harley rider

I use Amsoil in every thing .big block and small block chevy trucks ,harleys ,mowers, generator .if it has an engine it gets amsoil .yes it may cost a little more it is worth it . I run it in both of my trucks for over 6000 miles between changes.10,000 miles in wifes stratus . lasts longer runs cooler!!

9. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

Brad Penn is what I use.

10. 64gtoguy

64gtoguy

Royal Purple,,,,,,,,,, for 4 years in my 64 Goat, never a problem.

11. 92GTA

92GTA

AMSoil is not as good as RP IMO. That being said, after 10 years of using RP it still leaves a build-up. Redline is all that I use now, has all of the zinc and phos you could need.

BobIstheOilGuy.com

12. Igosplut

Igosplut

Only some of the Amsoil has ZDDP in sufficient quantity's. I have the list somewhere around. I use Amsoil in everything except the flat-tappet motors. Those I use Brad Penn.

13. richie rebel

richie rebel

brad renn is the shit,only cost me 3.60 per. qt,when you buy it by the case hear in pa

14. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I use Amzoil in every thing I own. They do carry a flat tapper line of oil.

15. Ole don

Ole don

Rotella T gets my vote. Its avaiable in 10W30 and 15W40 anywhere. It contains 1200 to 1300 PPM zinc. An article in Old Cars Weekly a while back said anything with over 1000 PPM zinc is good.

16. JonF

JonF

Who is Brad Penn?

17. Igosplut

Igosplut

BRAD PENN

18. f100newb

f100newb

I am a HUGE RP fan. I use it in all my vehicles and have always liked it. They make a lot of claims and I can attest to them. I ran it in my Roush Mustang that was supercharged and had it dynoed when I first got it and after the I changed the oil with RP a few times we did a dyno day and I had it redynoed and saw 5 hp gain. No shitting you. Only thing I did was change to RP after I got the car (second owner).

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Now just how do you know Amsoil was the problem on those engines and/or that trans? You don't suppose you could have fucked up yourself do you?
    I started using Amsoil in 1974 when the first oil crisis popped up and I was commuting 35 miles each way to work, trying to increase gas mileage and it worked.
    Along the way since then I've used it in many vehicles, gaining many benefits from it's use. Liked it so well I became a dealer and sell it to a lot of people, who also like it.
    I ow use Amsoil in everything I own from my weedeater to my Silverado with the Duramax diesel. Once the rings are seated and the cam and lifters broken in, it will be in the SBC in the '31 "A" roadster I've almost finished. Amsoil doesn't rec. using their oil till then and I'm using Gibbs Racing Oil's break in oil till then because of solid lifter flat tappet high lift cam.
    Amazing how some folks want to blame anybody/anything else but themselves for their mistakes.
    Dave

20. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

If amsoil was so great nobody would use anything else.
    I would never buy a product from someone who refuses to acknowledge that a oil product could be at fault and then states it has to be the users fault.

21. slammed

slammed

Some of you take this WAY too personal. Someone disagrees w/ your favorite brand, you drop the F-bomb.

22. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

If I'm not mistaken,and it would be the first time today, Brad Penn is the old Kendall,or new Kendall. A lot of the alcohol drag cars use it as It's supposed to be the thing for them. I don't think its available around here. I envy people who own engines tight enough to use synthetic oil in them. I put some in my pickup and it leaked like the Valdez.

23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

There's nothing wrong with the Amsoil, or any other reputable nationaL brand of oil for that matter, although some are better than others and my experience over the last 37 years of using and 10 years of selling Amsoil convinces me that it is among the best.
    In the case of the engines, he stated he had "rebuilt" them. I submit to you that not all "rebuilds" are created equal in parts, machine work, clearances, and above all, skill of the "rebuilder".
    Dave

24. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

Valvoline VR Racing has that there zinc stuff.

25. bill wallace

bill wallace

'dirty old man" has it right any reputable brand oil is good. The SAE has data on oil testing. Everyone always thinks that the brand they use is the best & folks always have stories of this guy or that that had a engine fail because of the oil when you have no idea what really caused it.

26. bill wallace

bill wallace

''Dirty Old Man" has it right any reputable brand is ok.

27. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

It has always amazed me how someone can state their opinion on here, and if it differs with someone elses, they run that person down and attack them verbally. Amazing.

28. I went on the Amsoil site, checked out their info and decided to give it a try in one of my cars. I chose the high-zinc oil. It held oil pressure well and kept the parts inside super clean. I then started using it in my other car after the engine was broken in. I have a lot of $$ in the motors and have no intention of cutting corner$ on oil. So far I have no complaints.

29. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I run John Deere torque guard plus 50. It is basically Rotella T, plenty of zinc and turbo rated. A friend is in the oil packaging business and claims most oils are just repackaged. He is working on getting our car club a tour of a major oil testing laboratory that supplies most oil repackagers with their technical data. Brad Penn, isn't he the guy who starred in that Titanium Movie?

30. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Old Man Penn's youngest Boy....................:eek:.....:D